What's new

Home made.

Ok so years ago I had a go at straight razors, I am a hobbyist knife smith so I made a few straights needless to say I didn't succeed. 1 out of 4 that I made actually was able to give me a modest shave. During that time I made a strop veg tan leather 7-8oz for the strop portion and triple layer of the same for handle and hanging end. I am now trying to get back into straight razors and being that I am a po boi I decided to refurbish my old strop as I had scratched it pretty bad. Oh I failed to mention that I am a leather worker in any event here's my new old strop now 10-12oz veg tan dyed Tan and oiled with Neatsfoot oil. being that the leather is veg tan it soaks the Neatsfoot oil up very rapidly. Which is ok as allot of the natural oils are lost in the tanning process.
IMG_20190713_170331.jpg

First pic is WIP.
IMG_20190713_181438.jpg

I also failed to mention that there is a linen strop as well the Ex had sewn it together for me when we were still together. The large D ring/handle is hand made from some old chrome plated 1/4" round stock I had laying around at the time. I'm fairly confident that the strop will work fine as I have used and still use veg tan for strops for my leather working knives. Any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Looks really good to me. Have you started shaving with a straight again? Or planning to ? Let me know I may have a vintage straight I could send your way to get you going.

Looks good. I used a DIY strop for a long time before getting an Old No 2 by Tony Miller.
I still plan on making myself a couple flax linen strops though. Those handles turned out nicely.

Looks good. I used a DIY strop for a long time before getting an Old No 2 by Tony Miller.
I still plan on making myself a couple flax linen strops though. Those handles turned out nicely.
thanks for the kind words! I've been looking for some flax linen fire hose to replace the linen on it. No luck finding any as of yet...

Top Bottom