What's new

Home made soap for Thanksgiving!

739ACCC8-E26B-4070-8A9F-7B5D761664D5.jpeg
I spent the weekend with my brother and my sister-in-law. And the kids. And the parents. My sister-in-law is a very DIY person. Cheese, vinegar, growing and canning vegetables, and soap-making are among her many talents. She has made some tallow based shave soaps for her hubby and boys in the past. I asked if we could do something vegan. Found a recipe online which is reverse engineered from a rather well known, expensive French brand which I favor. By the way until now my entire shave soap collection consists of about 40 samples from ShaveDash and other sources and a stick of La Toja.

We decided to make a kilo of soap. She had all the ingredients. This recipe is very minimalistic having few overall components. We tweaked it a bit with some conditioning oils. For fragrance we went with citrus / bergamot / black tea.

It probably needs to cure but the test lathers are beautiful, protective, and long lasting. The fragrance is subtle and clean. Can’t wait to actually shave and use one of my fave brushes. The Omega pictured lives in the Dopp kit.

We’re thinking of next year’s tweaks and fragrances already.

It was great fun to do!

Happy Holidays!!!

Attachments

• F02AAF90-D4EE-4CD5-BD1B-C0FDEBDE253D.jpeg
    F02AAF90-D4EE-4CD5-BD1B-C0FDEBDE253D.jpeg
    700.2 KB · Views: 22
  • C6E7883B-BA26-441E-BCFF-9DFAE82696AA.jpeg
    C6E7883B-BA26-441E-BCFF-9DFAE82696AA.jpeg
    930.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 3AD3634A-DC4A-46ED-9421-34F3257AA5C4.jpeg
    3AD3634A-DC4A-46ED-9421-34F3257AA5C4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • ACBB440A-838B-4A12-AF27-CB5094A823A1.jpeg
    ACBB440A-838B-4A12-AF27-CB5094A823A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • D841104F-E9C9-4894-A9FD-E43697A2E70D.jpeg
    D841104F-E9C9-4894-A9FD-E43697A2E70D.jpeg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 24
View attachment 1369569I spent the weekend with my brother and my sister-in-law. And the kids. And the parents. My sister-in-law is a very DIY person. Cheese, vinegar, growing and canning vegetables, and soap-making are among her many talents. She has made some tallow based shave soaps for her hubby and boys in the past. I asked if we could do something vegan. Found a recipe online which is reverse engineered from a rather well known, expensive French brand which I favor. By the way until now my entire shave soap collection consists of about 40 samples from ShaveDash and other sources and a stick of La Toja.

We decided to make a kilo of soap. She had all the ingredients. This recipe is very minimalistic having few overall components. We tweaked it a bit with some conditioning oils. For fragrance we went with citrus / bergamot / black tea.

It probably needs to cure but the test lathers are beautiful, protective, and long lasting. The fragrance is subtle and clean. Can’t wait to actually shave and use one of my fave brushes. The Omega pictured lives in the Dopp kit.

We’re thinking of next year’s tweaks and fragrances already.

It was great fun to do!

Happy Holidays!!!
That looks fantastic.
Would you mind posting the recipe ?
And also your sister-in-law's tallow recipe ?
Thanks!

Looks great! Always love to see others efforts to make their own soaps. Definitely a few steps up from my activities around just blending different soaps. What were your ingredients for this soap? How was the slickness of the test lather?

I bought all the supplies to make a veggie-based shave soap using a recipe from one of the soapmaker forums but haven't worked up the enthusiasm to actually follow through with it. I got sidetracked by a brief fling with brewing so now that I have a few gallons of that put away maybe I need to look at the soap stuff again. Where is my spare crockpot?

Very cool! That lather sure looks creamy and shiny. Your SIL is the person you need around when the grid goes down, all the canned food and shave soap you could ever need!

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yes. But they probably don't taste as good as turkey soap.
You've probably heard of the 'turducken,' which is a chicken stuffed in a duck which is then stuffed into a turkey cavity and roasted.

Well there's a new soap that combines turkey fat, duck fat, and the scent of Arko. They call it Turdarko.

This is where I'm supposed to say "True story, doggone."

I really expected to see a post about making soap from Turkey fat.

That is kinda disgusting.

Your SIL sounds like an incredible lady. Waste not want not!
One of the more interesting soaps I read about in the soap makers forums is made from Walmart brand Crisco. True story.

Top Bottom