What's new

Home Made Ice Cream

Mike H

Instagram Famous
We made a batch last week using Sunkist Soda, Eagle Brand milk and pineapple chunks. It was OK, but not great. I think I prefer plain vanilla.

Anyone care to share a favorite recipe? Please!

Using home grown to sweetest ripeness, dice up peaches into chunks and throw into you home made vanilla ice cream. We picked our trees and canned a bunch, soaked cut peaches in fruit fresh so not to brown. Commercial peaches just doesn't cut it.

This was originally in an old Borden condensed milk cookbook/pamphlet fom the 30's or 40's - Good stuff!

French Vanilla Coffee Ice Cream

You DON'T need an ice cream maker for this. All you need is a bowl or glass baking pan and room for it in your freezer.

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup (160ml) sweetened condensed milk (caramelized - see instructions)
1/2 cup (120ml) double strength black coffee (French vanilla is good)
1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
1 cup (240ml) heavy whipping cream

(This recipe is easy to double if you need enough to serve several people)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Be SURE to have sweetened condensed milk, not just plain evaporated milk. DO NOT open the can. Just remove the label from the can. Yes, just the label. Now place the can into a largish pot of water, deep enough to cover the can by an inch or two. Bring the water to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cover. Cook this for about 2 1/2 hours. (yes, that long!) When done, put the can under cold water for a while to cool the contents. The can now contains WONDERFUL soft caramel. You will have some left over, so have a tupperware ready for the extra. You can have it on the ice cream or with peanut butter on a sandwich.

Add 2/3 cup caramel to the 1/2 cup double strength coffee (hot or at least warm) and 1 tsp vanilla. Blend until smooth, cover tightly and put in the refrigerator to cool for an hour or so.

Put 1 cup whipping cream (or heavy cream) into a large chilled bowl and whip to a custard-like consistency. Not quite stiff enough to be whipped cream, but getting there. Fold in the caramel/coffee liquid using a spatula. don't stir it, just fold it over onto itself repeatedly until it's incorporated. You don't want to knock the fluffiness out of the mix, so be gentle.

When it's all well incorporated, put the bowl , tightly covered, into the freezer for about 2 hours. It should be partially frozen. Now stir with a big spoon for a minute or so until it is pretty smooth. Re-cover, and put back in the freezer to harden. Scoop and serve in a couple more hours!

(NOTE: cooking the caramel in the can is safe as long as you keep it covered completely in water during the cooking. Be sure to use a large pot and check the water level from time to time. Don't open the can until it's WELL cooled. ) If you want to make the caramel in a pan on the stove, don't mind me :)

I make ice creams very often. This one is not vanilla, it's a coffee ice cream (white base) with chocolate chips. Very good!

Ingredients
620 gr. whole milk
180 gr. sugar (sucrose)
200 gr. milk cream
90 gr. egg yolks
44 gr. soluble coffee
17 gr. glucose (syrup, 30 DE dextrose equivalent or just use 5 gr dextrose)
6 gr. sodium alginate

Preparation
In the bowl of a planetary mixer the beaters, whisk the egg yolks with sugar and sodium alginate. While it is running, in a saucepan over medium-high heat, pour the milk, the cream and glucose; before it begins to simmer pours the liquids on the egg mixture and whisk for 5-10 minutes.

Pour the mixture back into the saucepan over high heat, and when it reaches 85°C reduce the heat and cook for about 2 minutes (high pasteurization) trying to keep that temperature.

In your mixer add the soluble coffee and pour over the mixture when still hot, and let go until smooth. Put in the fridge to mature for at least 12 hours. Before pouring the mixture into your ice cream maker, quickly blend the mixture again.

Let the machine do the hard work (30 to 40 minutes) and just before it's finished add the chocolate chips and let go for a few more minutes.

;)

1 qt heavy Cream
3C whole milk
2C sugar
12 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla extract
2- 12 oz guinness reduced to 10 oz (I use a house made scotch ale at work)

I do this recipe at least once a week.

I throw the milk, cream and 1 cup of sugar on the stove and bring to simmer. Meanwhile I'll add the second cup of sugar to the egg yolks and whisk together. I'll then whisk in 1/3 of the the milk/cream into the yolk mix (technical term is tempering.) I'll add the egg mix back to the milk and bring to just barely boiling take it off the heat and add the vanilla and beer reduction. I'll throw it on an ice bath to bring it down fast and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning I make my soft serve and let it bloom in the freezer a bit. Its a hit with some fresh strawberries, caramel and a snickerdoodle cookie!

Top Bottom