What's new

Home made Brut shaving soap

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Well, after all my talk of waiting a few days, my willpower gave up and I used the soap for the Sunday shave. I used a superb small brush, a Simpson Wee Scot, so as not too heavily load the soap, and a Leresche type 34 open comb. The soap is still very very slightly softer then I would expect the original MWF to be but it lathered well and the performance did not seem impeded in any way by the addition of the Brut. Of course the scent was heavenly with none of the very mild MWF scent detectable; not surprising when it has been overpowered by Brut. It is early days yet but I will continue to let the soap dry in the hope that the Brut scent remains, but as things stand this has been very successful. I fully intend to repeat this procedure again with MWF but this time adding Shulton Old Spice; this will go into the mug to the left of the image below.

20191124_091757.jpg

Well, after all my talk of waiting a few days, my willpower gave up and I used the soap for the Sunday shave. I used a superb small brush, a Simpson Wee Scot, so as not too heavily load the soap, and a Leresche type 34 open comb. The soap is still very very slightly softer then I would expect the original MWF to be but it lathered well and the performance did not seem impeded in any way by the addition of the Brut. Of course the scent was heavenly with none of the very mild MWF scent detectable; not surprising when it has been overpowered by Brut. It is early days yet but I will continue to let the soap dry in the hope that the Brut scent remains, but as things stand this has been very successful. I fully intend to repeat this procedure again with MWF but this time adding Shulton Old Spice; this will go into the mug to the left of the image below.

CONGRATULATIONS! Plus, lovely kit!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

EclipseRedRing

I have repeated the exercise but this time using vintage Shulton Old Spice and have been using both soaps for a while. The Brut soap, shown in the Old Spice mug on the right below, is great, the scent faded slightly but has now seemed to stabilise. It lathers well and all of the qualities that make MWF a great soap remain. The Old Spice soap, shown in the alternate Old Spice mug on the left below, has also retained its scent after fading slightly. It too lathers well and is a pleasure to use. The only difference is that the Brut soap seemed to reform after grating into a single block with no evidence that it had been previously grated. With the Old Spice soap however there remains a texture and appearance that indicates it was once grated and you can see the individual shavings in the block. It does not detract from use, only from appearance. There is also a slight colour difference. I suspect these differences are due to variances in the chemical makeup of the two scents used but not being a chemist I cannot confirm this. Anyway, I recommend the procedure if you fancy making your own scented soap from a puck of MWF. Happy shaves.

20191207_081640.jpg

I have repeated the exercise but this time using vintage Shulton Old Spice and have been using both soaps for a while. The Brut soap, shown in the Old Spice mug on the right below, is great, the scent faded slightly but has now seemed to stabilise. It lathers well and all of the qualities that make MWF a great soap remain. The Old Spice soap, shown in the alternate Old Spice mug on the left below, has also retained its scent after fading slightly. It too lathers well and is a pleasure to use. The only difference is that the Brut soap seemed to reform after grating into a single block with no evidence that it had been previously grated. With the Old Spice soap however there remains a texture and appearance that indicates it was once grated and you can see the individual shavings in the block. It does not detract from use, only from appearance. There is also a slight colour difference. I suspect these differences are due to variances in the chemical makeup of the two scents used but not being a chemist I cannot confirm this. Anyway, I recommend the procedure if you fancy making your own scented soap from a puck of MWF. Happy shaves.

View attachment 1041421

Thanks for the follow-up!! Great experiment!

Then it would probably be easier to buy something like this:

Thanks for the link. I love Brut. I ordered a puck.

For those wondering why not using Williams, importing it from US or Canada takes the cost to about the same as MWF for less than half the soap.
Essentially Williams is 2.5x the price of MWF for someone in the UK.
The "Willy" threads are inspiring:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My sense of smell seems to be SLOWLY returning, so I think I will be trying this! Thanks for the inspiration @EclipseRedRing ! Brut is without question the best fragrance "overall" for men, ever invented. In my not so humble opinion, lol!

EclipseRedRing

@FarmerTan I have since found what appears to be a puck of genuine Fabergé Brut shave soap. It performs well but the scent has faded to nothing.

I was also lucky to find three bars of Brut bath soap. I have added some bath soap shavings to a little of the Brut shaving soap to get a good performing shave soap with more of the Brut scent. It works better than simply adding a drop of Brut AS to the shave soap which seemed to kill the lather.

forum.jpg

FarmerTan

@FarmerTan I have since found what appears to be a puck of genuine Fabergé Brut shave soap. It performs well but the scent has faded to nothing.

I was also lucky to find three bars of Brut bath soap. I have added some bath soap shavings to a little of the Brut shaving soap to get a good performing shave soap with more of the Brut scent. It works better than simply adding a drop of Brut AS to the shave soap which seemed to kill the lather.

View attachment 1245060
I'll show you some pictures tomorrow! I bought a bunch of overstock Brut stuff for a dollar each! New, but even new Brut smells better than anything else out there to my nose!

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I am a lover of vintage Faberge brut products and have a modest collection. I have long wished for a Brut shaving soap and have decided to attempt to make my own. So far I have grated a puck of MWF into a mug - a vintage Shulton Old Spice mug as I have no suitable Brut branded item, indeed I am not totally convinced that such an item exists. I used MWF as to my nose it has a neutral soapy, lanolin scent without any additional perfume. To this grated soap I added about 50ml of modern Brut combined with around 10ml of vintage pre-Brut-33 Faberge Brut. The original is too precious, to me at least, to use undiluted. The resultant mixture could be lightly formed into shape in the mug and I depressed the surface to the point at which the liquid began to rise to the top. I have left it overnight and the soap seems to have significantly hardened and the scent is superb. I am intending to leave the soap for a good few days, maybe even a week before use and am hoping that the scent remains, and that the addition of the Brut has not detrimentally affected the performance of the MWF. Have any other members tried such procedures and how were the results?

I think Musgo Real has a soap or cream whose fragrance is close to Brut.

FarmerTan

I think Musgo Real has a soap or cream whose fragrance is close to Brut.
Which one is it?

It's funny, but I've done this: face lathered by rubbing Brut bar soap on half my face, and Arko on the other, and rubbing it all in with the brush. I think tonight I will do it with some Ancient Williams Puck.....

Aww hell yes…I’ll have to do this with a soap …I’ve got a few bottles of brut so I’m sure I can spare one ….brut shaving soap mmmmmm

Top Bottom