What's new

Home Made Breads

Google No-Kneed Bread.
Been making it for months!! It's way to simple.

Two cups flour
1/8 t-spoon yeast
couple of t-spoons salt.

a little more then a cup of water.

mix it all together, cover and let rise overnight, fold it over once the next day and let it rise again for an hr.

Now the odd part. Take a pan (I use glass) that has a cover. Pre-heat it in the oven at 500 degrees. Once it's all pre-heated, drop in the dough and cover.

Close the oven door and don't open it for 20-25 minutes (I have successfully peeked though :tongue_sm). After 20+ minutes take the cover off and let cook another 5+ minutes.

your done!
Hot bread!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I have been making bread for many years. If you want to do it for economic reasons, the key to success is finding good, affordable yeast.

Apart from yeast, the cost per loaf is something like this:

2 c flour ~ 30¢
water, salt, oil < 5¢

Now, the yeast... if you buy those envelopes or the small jar in the grocery story, it'll run you about 60¢ for a loaf. More than all other ingredients combined.

My recommendation is the 1-lb. vacuum packed bag of instant yeast (same as bread machine yeast) available at the warehouse stores for about $2. This brings the cost per loaf to a couple cents.

Note: instant yeast is NOT the same thing as rapid yeast, or active dry yeast.

You are talking my language here. Here if you find a good source it is the blue package. and we keep it in the freezer . . . Fleshman's Yeast that is. We've not had problems keeping it for the better part of two years. We always proof it with 110 degree F water and a bit of sugar.

Mike

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Sorry . . . meant to say here where I am in Brampton Ontario Canada it is in a blue package. Not to say that the red package is bad. . . . .Sorry again.

It makes one loaf. But normally, I'll set the oven at 200 degree F for 5 to 10 minutes and turn it off. Then put the dough in and let it rise for 30 to 60 minutes (until doubled in size). I punch it down and knead it for 10 minutes and let it rise again for 30 to 60 minutes (until doubled in size). Afterward, shape the dough, put it in a loaf pan, and let it rise for another 30 to 60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degree F and slice the top with a razor blade (your choice of DE or Straight)/serrated knife and bake for 30 minutes.

I guess I'll post some pictures. My wife calls this booby bread.

View attachment 161308
That looks great, im gonna finish it up when I get home, and 2morrow gonna make homemade wheat crust for a pizza

I was just assuming that they knew how to knead - you're right, if it's not kneaded enough the gluten doesn't develop which is essential for a good textured loaf. By proofing I mean letting the bread dough rise until doubled: usually twice and then again in the pan.

I suppose it is a question of how long you've been practicing and how good you are at it. If you are new to bread making, under kneading is certainly a common and easy mistake to make.

Sorry, I must have misread your comment about proofing. :001_smile

That looks great, im gonna finish it up when I get home, and 2morrow gonna make homemade wheat crust for a pizza

A good pizza dough recipe is like gold.
We've got one we like.
I've tried Martha Stewart's whole wheat crust and it didn't work out for us at all.
I'm always on the lookout for one that has not too much fat in it.

i bought a 2-lb bread maker at a garage sale last year for $10. the previous owners bought it for upwards of $60 and used it literally once or twice. it makes a great loaf, although i don't use it often enough to really make it worth it.

plus, i always try throwing in a bunch of extras, which inevitably jacks the price per loaf way up.

A good pizza dough recipe is like gold.
We've got one we like.
I've tried Martha Stewart's whole wheat crust and it didn't work out for us at all.
I'm always on the lookout for one that has not too much fat in it.

The base we use for ours is this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pizza-Dough-III/Detail.aspx

However, we double the recipe (so it makes 3 medium/large pizzas or 2 with garlic knots) and use a mix of white whole wheat and bread flour. 2.5c white whole wheat and 1.5c bread flour is what I use, with a pinch of ginger thrown in to help the wheat rise.

I think you are right, and it's also hard to explain, without showing, exactly how much extra flour can be kneaded in to get bread that isn't heavy and wet, or too dry. I've been making my own since 1970 and it's second nature to me now. It's probably easier now that there are Youtube videos showing how to do just about everything!

I've got mine down pretty well now, too, but it did take quite a bit of practice to get there. :laugh: I didn't have anyone who knew how to do it to show me. Now I'm being asked to show others, which I'm happy to do.

Google No-Kneed Bread.
Been making it for months!! It's way to simple.

Two cups flour
1/8 t-spoon yeast
couple of t-spoons salt.

a little more then a cup of water.

mix it all together, cover and let rise overnight, fold it over once the next day and let it rise again for an hr.

Now the odd part. Take a pan (I use glass) that has a cover. Pre-heat it in the oven at 500 degrees. Once it's all pre-heated, drop in the dough and cover.

Close the oven door and don't open it for 20-25 minutes (I have successfully peeked though :tongue_sm). After 20+ minutes take the cover off and let cook another 5+ minutes.

your done!
Hot bread!

I've made several no-knead loaves like this and they are always good.

It did take the factory seasoning off my Lodge dutch oven, however. :angry:

Top Bottom