What's new

Home Made Breads

The recipe I use makes 3 loaves at a time, and even though we go through that in a week, it goes bad before we use it all. So, I wrap each loaf in plastic wrap (wrapped well), put 2 in the freezer and leave one out. Ta da!

Speaking of bread, I saw an episode of Baking with Julia this morning and they made baguettes. I think I'll be making that Monday. I made pizza today, made coffee cake tonight, making sandwich bread tomorrow, and was asked to make garlic knots for a teacher appreciation lunch for Thursday. How long will it take before I'm sick of my kitchen? Place your bets.

By the sandwich bread or middle of the garlic knots. *hugs* Good luck!

...Is it worth getting a cheap bread machine or will that not have that right & proper bread texture?

We have a bread maker and I wouldn't be without it. The ease of use and excellent breads make it pretty much indispensable. I also use it to make foccacia (sp?) and pizza dough and I keep meaning to try the other recipes.

So in answer to your question: yes, get one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Funny that I happened across this thread...just made some sourdough starter this morning.

Should be ready to use in another 10 days or so. :thumbup1:

I got a bread machine at Salvation Army for $5 a few years ago. I don't work it to death, but I make bread regularly in the fall and winter.

Here is a good holiday bread:

3C flour
1C Orange Juice
1T Olive oil
1T Honey
1 egg
1t salt
1 packet yeast (yea, you can use what you want, figure it out)
1/2 C dried cranberries (Crazins) added at the indicated point in the cycle for fruiting the bread

You can also add 1t Cinnamon or allspice with the fruit.

Enjoy. (If this looks funny, refer to a basic egg loaf or raisin loaf recipe and make corrections)

Phil

I've never used a bread machine. My parents used one sometimes once upon a time, but as an adult I just used a KitchenAid stand mixer. With the sandwich bread I currently make, the dough tried to escape the mixer, so I started doing it by hand. I've been doing all dough that needs to be kneaded by hand ever since. I like feeling where the dough is better than putting it in a mixer.

While we don't use a bread maker either, I know they have come a long way since the early ones.
My folks had one of the first ones and it was a tempermental beast.
The loves were nice, but you had to mess around to get it just right.

As my wife always says "make <insert food item here> 1000 times and the 1001 will be perfect"

Making bread by hand isn't rocket science, it is time consuming though.
But soon enough you get the hang of it and you're cranking out bread like there's no tomorrow.

Today we've got 12 loaves of Honey Oat bread on the go. Starting at 8 am they'll all be done by noon. No mystery, just practice to develop the skill.

....as per usual when I say "we" I mean my wife.

With quality ingredients, a bread machine can turn out a quality loaf. The best treat is to put it on the overnight setting, and wake up to to the smell of baking bread that's just ready to come out of the pan for a warm breakfast.

I'd recommend the Breadman or Zojirushi (often called "Zo") brands.

Scaling from a bread machine to oven baking is not very difficult. The hard part is that the baking times and temperature are not listed...but if you bake bread regularly you probably know those. I rarely use the oven to bake bread, so I would have to look up all this. I have scaled from the bread machine to the oven before without problems, using a kitchen aid mixer.

Going the other way is more difficult because a typical bread machine can only work a maximum of 3 cups of flour, and you need to apply a little math to divide a recipe to between 2 and 3 cups of flour, with convenient units for the other ingredients. (Eggs like to be used whole) Also a number of old bread recipes do not account for the flour added while manually kneading.

That is a pretty loaf Crafty.

Phil

As my wife always says "make <insert food item here> 1000 times and the 1001 will be perfect"

Making bread by hand isn't rocket science, it is time consuming though.
But soon enough you get the hang of it and you're cranking out bread like there's no tomorrow.

Today we've got 12 loaves of Honey Oat bread on the go. Starting at 8 am they'll all be done by noon. No mystery, just practice to develop the skill.

....as per usual when I say "we" I mean my wife.
You should have seen my first loaves about a year or so ago. Very sad indeed.

And twelve loaves? I have a lot of respect for your wife right now. And your oven.

Now that's a nice loaf!

yummy :thumbup1:
Why, thank you. :biggrin1:

Scaling from a bread machine to oven baking is not very difficult. The hard part is that the baking times and temperature are not listed...but if you bake bread regularly you probably know those. I rarely use the oven to bake bread, so I would have to look up all this. I have scaled from the bread machine to the oven before without problems, using a kitchen aid mixer.

Going the other way is more difficult because a typical bread machine can only work a maximum of 3 cups of flour, and you need to apply a little math to divide a recipe to between 2 and 3 cups of flour, with convenient units for the other ingredients. (Eggs like to be used whole) Also a number of old bread recipes do not account for the flour added while manually kneading.

That is a pretty loaf Crafty.

Phil

Always a good idea to start with a very wet dough and add flour from there.

And thanks.:biggrin1:

I occasionally make an unleavened (flat) bread using just whole grain flour and a pinch of salt.

Bannock is another option, using flour and baking powder and any combination of honey, nuts and dried fruits.
Don't like to bake it in oil (frybread-type bannock) as that sits too heavy in my stomach.
Takes about 10-15 minutes to make, start to finish. Nicer and healthier than supermarket cookies.

I make this white bread.

3 to 3 1/2 cup flour
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4 cup milk
3 to 4 tble butter
pinch or dash of salt
1 tbl honey

bake at 425 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes

viola! classic white bread for toasts and sandwitches

How many loafs will this make? I mixed it up last night and have been letting it expand today.

... twelve loaves? I have a lot of respect for your wife right now. And your oven.

She's a professional Chef working out of the home (we have a 17 month old).
She managed a bakery for many years.
A good convection oven will help a lot.
I think she does 4 loaves at a time, but maybe only 3.
I'm not home when it gets cooked.

Bannock is another option, using flour and baking powder and any combination of honey, nuts and dried fruits.
Don't like to bake it in oil (frybread-type bannock) as that sits too heavy in my stomach.
Takes about 10-15 minutes to make, start to finish. Nicer and healthier than supermarket cookies.

Bannock! that's a favourite when we go camping.
fold up some blueberries in it and you've got a nice thing going.

How many loafs will this make? I mixed it up last night and have been letting it expand today.

It makes one loaf. But normally, I'll set the oven at 200 degree F for 5 to 10 minutes and turn it off. Then put the dough in and let it rise for 30 to 60 minutes (until doubled in size). I punch it down and knead it for 10 minutes and let it rise again for 30 to 60 minutes (until doubled in size). Afterward, shape the dough, put it in a loaf pan, and let it rise for another 30 to 60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425 degree F and slice the top with a razor blade (your choice of DE or Straight)/serrated knife and bake for 30 minutes.

I guess I'll post some pictures. My wife calls this booby bread.

View attachment 161308

Last edited:
Bread with some fat in it has a longer shelf life than those that don't, and adding a little liquid lecithin can help too. If your bread is heavy there are several things you should check: first, is your yeast good? Or are you killing the yeast by mixing the and/or proofing the dough at too warm a temperature? Or are you letting it rise for too little time or at too cool a temperature? The most common mistake would be dissolving the yeast in too warm water, adding the wrong amount of flour, and not letting the dough rise enough at the right temperature.

I've never seen bread made in a machine that was as good as what I can make the old-fashioned way, even though I "cheat" now by starting the kneading in a mixer and finish it by hand. For sandwich bread, there's an old book called the Tassajara Bread Book that is still golden, imho.

Most dry yeasts that are commercially available now are so reliable that you don't have to proof them (or so I've heard), unless of course you kill it. Also, a standard heavy bread problem is not enough kneading.

Also, garlic knots.

Top Bottom