What's new

Home made blade safe

After I saw it suggested on here or SMF forum, I decided to make a blade safe last night.

Very easy, just use 1 small can of evaporated milk. Punch 2 holes and drain the milk, it goes nice in coffee. Then rinse the can out with hot water and a bit of bleach. Once clean, score a line across the middle of the top and then go over the line carefully with a sharp knife. After about 10 careful passes you'll be through.

Once you're done, just open the slot out a little with a screwdriver, and you've got a perfect money-box style blade safe. Impossible for kids to open and get their hands on the blades unless they use a can opener. I'm sure it'll hold a lot of blades before it gets full, when it's full it just toss it out and I make another. :thumbup:

proxy.php

And you can toss the whole thing in the recycle bin with no fears! I may have to break out the Dremel instead of cutting tin with a sharp knife but I may have to try this one out.

That's a very good point, as long as you use a steel can the whole lot can be tossed into steel recycling - I hadn't thought of that before! :smile:

A Dremel tool would be ideal and a lot safer for cutting the slot in the top of the can. I don't own one otherwise that's what I'd have used, I had to be very careful with a knife instead. I had visions of losing my fingers! :crying:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Iwan said:
Very easy, just use 1 small can of evaporated milk.

Does it have to be evaporated milk?:wink: :biggrin: What about tomato soup? or tomato sauce?

Just kidding. I think this is a good idea. I like it a lot.

Absolutely not, if it's not evaporated milk it won't work - you've been warned. :wink2:

Nah I just picked that can as it was much smaller than "regular" sized cans in UK supermarkets, but still big enough to get a decent number of blades inside. I was thinking about painting it to make it look nicer, but I was already getting frowns from my girlfriend. :laugh:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Lyrt said:
Am I the only one using the back part of the box for used blades? It works just fine.

I do when it is available. Walmart Personna packs have this feature and so do my Wilkinsons. However, my Derbys and Israli Personnas do not have this.

Lyrt said:
Am I the only one using the back part of the box for used blades? It works just fine.

Most of us buy blades in bulk and they come in packs of 100 so they don't have the little boxes. Also the plastic boxes don't recycle well with the blades inside.

Yeah I started using the back of the boxes. But the Derby blades I bought recently don't have a slot for used blades on the back of the boxes, hence I started looking for an alternative.

The point about recycling is a good one though, I like to do my bit for the environment so this helps. :smile:

There is a post with pictures around somewhere here, but the Derby boxes have a place for used blades - one side opens up, and you'll see an area for them.

Scotto said:
There is a post with pictures around somewhere here, but the Derby boxes have a place for used blades - one side opens up, and you'll see an area for them.
It isn't very secure. When you open the back it is easy to break the tab off and then it doesn't stay closed.

Scotto said:

LOL! No, but I have 2 that are very curious about anything that daddy does! They laugh when I whip up shave cream and want me to put it on their nose. I have been storing the blades in a Tylenol bottle and putting it in my closet out of reach but the can might be better.

Gatorade said:
Most of us buy blades in bulk and they come in packs of 100 so they don't have the little boxes. Also the plastic boxes don't recycle well with the blades inside.
I always try to do my part for the environment. Unfortunately in my area the selective sorting of household waste is unheard of. France is globally retarded in that regard.

Top Bottom