What's new

Home made blade safe

Lyrt said:
I always try to do my part for the environment. Unfortunately in my area the selective sorting of household waste is unheard of. France is globally retarded in that regard.

You should try most of the US... I have yet to see any part of the US have a decent recycling program. Some communities have a small box that you put all the recycleables in and then who knows where it goes. There have been stories of trash collectors just throwing those in with the normal trash (yup, makes sense, huh?).

I personally like my experience with the German system (really the only other system I have any experience with) but a bag for organic waste, a bag for recyclables, and a bag for other. And heaven help the person who doesn't properly organize their trash because the trash police will stop all collections from them till the person who mis-orginzed their trash goes through their bags and properly sorts it.

fuerein said:
You should try most of the US...
...I personally like my experience with the German system (really the only other system I have any experience with) but a bag for organic waste, a bag for recyclables, and a bag for other...

Most of Canada is probably about on par with the US - little to no waste diversion... but the Great White North has a few bright spots w.r.t waste diversion and recycling. Namely the provinces of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island (a program similar to the one in Nova Scotia - and I'll only talk about the NS one since I lived there for 8 years and have experience with it).

Throughout the entire province of NS household waste is sorted 4 ways: organic material; paper recyclables; metal/glass/plastic recycleables (which are further seerated at the recycling facilities); and other. I believe that the province now diverts more than half of it's post-consumer waste (which may be the most successful waste diversion program in North America, but I'm not sure). Similar rules also apply to businesses within the province as well.

I figure that if such a program can work in a place like Nova Scotia (low population, mostly "small" towns, etc) then it can work in any place where there is the political will to implement a program and enforce it.

Gatorade said:
And you can toss the whole thing in the recycle bin with no fears!

I could be very wrong on this subject, but here goes anyway...

Aren't used razor blades considered biohazardous materials, and as such, are unsuitable for recycling?

_C_ said:

Aren't used razor blades considered biohazardous materials, and as such, are unsuitable for recycling?

Not sure... But I say, if the heat from melting them down doesn't kill off any nasty germs, nothing will and the world is doomed.

_C_ said:

That is possible. I would suggest that your best option would be to check with your local recycling authority/regulator.

Absolutely sterling Iwan. Only one question.. Who has enough room left in the shave shack for a can that large? I could probably put three more soap pucks in the area!:biggrin1:

Hey it's only a small can Ron, it's not as big as it looks. On the bright side, it takes up some space in my bathroom so I have an excuse not to buy 3 more soaps! :lol:

I know I could probably find this on other threads, but I'm lazy at the moment - how many blades do those 99-cent Feather safes hold?

Adam

sinekkaydi said:
that can is going to get rusted, I would use something like this
$.99

Just get some Rust-Oleum spray paint and paint it then. Maybe more than the blade safe but I like the idea of being able to recycle it when through.

sinekkaydi said:
that can is going to get rusted, I would use something like this
$.99

Then you have comingled material and won't be able to recycle it.

If it were just about disposal with no recycleing possible then I would just throw them in the kitchen garbage can or the bathroom can. What do you do with broken glass? Doesn't go in the recycle bin. Goes in the trash. There is a lot of stuff that could cause more harm in my garbage then a couple of blades. What do you do when you change blades on your box cutter?

The best thing going is a can that can be recycled. Everything else results in the blades and container going to a landfill in someones back yard.

Old beat me to it saying tomato soup.

I was going to say.. If you want to pull an Andy Warhol use a can of cambells tomato soup.

proxy.php

Everyone beat me to this thread.

Have to be quick around here. Perhaps I can be the first to suggest melting down the blades and making a straight razor.

If you have 100 Derby Blades, they come as 20 5 blades per box.
If Feathers, 10 blades to a box.
Figure out how to dispose of the used blades from the first box.
Now you have an empty box of either the 5 Derby or 10 Feathers.
In this empty box is where you put the empty blades from the second box and subsequently you have always an empty box to place the used blades for ever and ever.

GeeQue said:
If you have 100 Derby Blades, they come as 20 5 blades per box.
If Feathers, 10 blades to a box.
Figure out how to dispose of the used blades from the first box.
Now you have an empty box of either the 5 Derby or 10 Feathers.
In this empty box is where you put the empty blades from the second box and subsequently you have always an empty box to place the used blades for ever and ever.

If you have Israeli Personas then you have 100 paper envelopes with no boxes.

Last I checked, blades are a no-no for recycling anyways. They should be dropped off at a place that can dispose of "sharps".

We have to go through this at work, with the single-edge blades we use in our box cutters. We have to put them into plastic non-reopenable sharps bins, and either drop it off at the disposal place, or have someone pick it up.

I cut a slit near the top of a water bottle (we all have those around don't we?). Not very elegant, sure, but I will enjoy watching the blades accumulate through the plastic.

Not sure my, "blade bank", is the best environment-friendly solution, but it's fashionable, functional, and relatively inexpensive. For about 6 months now, I've been using a coin bank I purchased in the gifts/trinkets section of my local dollar store. In most cases, these banks are small enough to fit on a bathroom shelf, yet large enough to months worth of blades (depending on the size). Best of all, you can choose a bank that compliments the color scheme/motif of your bathroom, assuming you have access to such selection. For those with children, perhaps it's a bit risky, as these banks would likely spark a young one's curiosity. I'd recommend those banks that have only one access (the old, "break the bank" types). I'm currently using a green fish bank (about the size of a shaving bowl) made from unbreakable plastic/rubber. So far, so good...

There are so many things that could work, you just have to look at what you have laying around. If you are willing to keep the "blade safe" under the sink, you don't have to consider appearance. An empty mouthwash bottle has a wide enough opening. An empty jar with a slot in the lid. An Altoids tin with a slot in the top. Lots of small containers that food comes in would work OK.

Top Bottom