What's new

Home made Bing pipe

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Before the Bruno Nuttens Bing pipes dropped on tobbacopipes, I had the idea to make my own Bing pipe. I ordered a couple of stummels and stems from RNA treasures, and some nickel bands, stems and a stem turning tool from Vermont Freehand.

I received all the parts and started working on it. The stummel I received from RNA was LOADED with voids, and as I have no idea how or what materials to use to fill briar voids, I decided to rusticate the pipe.

I used a rough wood rasp (I'm going to have to make the tool if I am going to do this again), and stained it a dark chocolate brown. Sanded down the stummel to accept the band and attached it, then turned a stem down to fit the pipe.

Tripoli compound on all, and then a buffing with carnauba wax. Interestingly, with the rusticated surface, there was a lot of dry white wax dust in the craters of the pipe, so I used a heat gun to melt the carnauba then hand buffed it once the "white" was gone.

Overall length is 7 1/8 inches.

I think it turned out ok for my first Bing attempt, my first band attempt, my first stem turning and my first rustication!

20220101_160930.jpg

20220101_160944.jpg

20220101_161009.jpg
20220101_160958.jpg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Looks really good Phil! I trust you have seen the tools they used to rusticate?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looks really good Phil! I trust you have seen the tools they used to rusticate?
Yes, I have almost everything I need, I'm going to print out a handle to use and put it together with casting epoxy.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
How many prongs were you thinking of glueing on? Also Eltang has a really interesting rustication method using a drill bit that might interest you too.

ADB08B6D-F68F-41BD-9733-9B4EC720E18A.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
How many prongs were you thinking of glueing on? Also Eltang has a really interesting rustication method using a drill bit that might interest you too.

View attachment 1387365
I'm thinking 7 to 10 nails.
I kind of like the random appearance from the nails as opposed to the more patterned ones I've seen done with dremels or drills.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Holy smokes, Phil, that's amazing. And I was all proud of my self for making a George scraping tool from a paring knife and cleaning the sludge out of a filthy pipe! No way I would ever attempt this. Bravo!

I think you're going to be a "retired" custom pipe maker before 2022 is out, my friend.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Holy smokes, Phil, that's amazing. And I was all proud of my self for making a George scraping tool from a paring knife and cleaning the sludge out of a filthy pipe! No way I would ever attempt this. Bravo!

I think you're going to be a "retired" custom pipe maker before 2022 is out, my friend.
No, that means timelines, obligation and pressure!
I'm doing this because it's fun. I don't want to change anything that turns it from fun into work, and nothing does that faster than timelines, obligations and pressure!
:pipe:

And... it's a far cry from taking a stummel, drilling an airway and modifying it versus actually making a stummel from a block of briar.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Waiting for a tin of C&D Crooner to arrive so I can break them in!
You probably know this, but Crooner has deer tongue in it, and quite a bit. It’s an acquired taste, so if it tastes weird to you, mix some Crooner 50:50 with a straight burley like carter hall or Prince Albert to cut the proportion of deer tongue.

Top Bottom