What's new

Home Gym

So I have decided to invest big in some home exercise equipment. While I actually am part owner of a nice fitness facility the 20 minute drive both ways adds 40 minutes to the day so I don't lift as much as I would like.

I have a NordicTrack Ski machine which is still great after decades. I have a NordicTrack treadmill which does the job of a treadmill and there's not much more to say about that--can't advocate it's but not terrible. For my strength training at home, I have tried equipment from Hoist, Parabody, Body Solid, Nautilus, Paramount, Keys, Universal, True, and a few others that I don't recall. I returned out of disgust a cheap thing I though might be worthwhile and now await the delivery of a BodyCraft X-Pro with leg press and a flat/incline/decline bench with a set of personal powerblock dumbells (adjustable weights that go from as little as 5 or 10 lbs to 50).

Anyone have experience with this stuff before I actually take delivery. I feel pretty confident about it. I did my homework and then some but I know there are some fitness buffs here and thought you might have opinion. The most important challenge is to be sure it doesn't become a clothing hanger.

I'm pretty much a duffer when it comes to weight lifting so I think what I am getting along with the bands/balls/and mats that I own already will go a long long way.

MJB,

the only 'home equipment' I have are a jump rope and dumbbells. In a 3 month period, I went from a 40 chest and 36 waist to my current size of 44 chest and 34 waist- mind you, I am 45 years young.

After reaching that size( and having to replace my wardrobe :mad: ), i did not buy heavier weights- that will only help to increase the muscle size.

Find an activity (aerobic) that you like and once you get bored with a weightlifting routine, change it.

Marty

htownmmm said:
MJB,

the only 'home equipment' I have are a jump rope and dumbbells. In a 3 month period, I went from a 40 chest and 36 waist to my current size of 44 chest and 34 waist- mind you, I am 45 years young.

After reaching that size( and having to replace my wardrobe :mad: ), i did not buy heavier weights- that will only help to increase the muscle size.

Find an activity (aerobic) that you like and once you get bored with a weightlifting routine, change it.

Marty

You know, I considered once buying a jump rope. Then I thought about where I'd use it. Lets see, I live on the fifth floor of a high-rise apartment building and I have no balcony, my ceilings run about 9ft and I have carpeting... yeah didn't think I had a good place to use them.

Just my opinion, but a lot of machines and so forth aren't worth the money. All you really need is a barbell, some weights for your barbell, some dumbbells, a rack, a bench, a place to do pull-ups, and a jump rope to start off with.

In terms of how I work out, I do something called CrossFit (http://www.crossfit.com). It's a bit intense to start off with but man I love it. In case there are people here that subscribe or contend with the CrossFit school of thought, I'm not going to say that this is the only way to train, but it is a good way.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Now for truth--

I realize that the machine is not itself necessary. One can actually do a great workout with just some bands and a ball. Weights and machines however do somewhat pattern motions so are good in regards to isolation and pulley and barbells/dumbells in theory exercise stabilizer muscles and improve functional strength and core strength.

The most important part of exercise equipment is (1) using it and (2) not hurting yourself. The cheapest thing out there used is much more effective than a full set of Nautilus gathering duct.

That being said, I agree with almost everything posted so far.

I find the best home gym is the lazyboy, a flat screen tv and a cooler of beer next to the chair. I didn't get this gut by just sitting around and not doing anything.

mark the shoeshine boy said:
my wife wanted a home gym so we could do it together....so i got her a excercise bike with a side car....

Larry the cable guy...

mark tssb
Now that right there is funny...:lol:

htownmmm said:
In a 3 month period, I went from a 40 chest and 36 waist to my current size of 44 chest and 34 waist- mind you, I am 45 years young.

A stud geezer eh? Well, I'm 43 years old(junior geezer or curmudgeon, take your choice)and would like to take up weights myslef. I got pretty danged plump the last ten years or so. So last year I goes to the sawbones and he gives me the jazz about weight(225), cholesterol(183, pretty normal I thought), and blood pressure(120/70). Other than the weight, I thought the other stats weren't too far out of hand. Still, being a heart surgery patient, he was giving me the finger pointing routine. Well says I, losing some weight is the very thing to do. I started eating a LOT better, bought an elliptical trainer, and dropped 25lbs. in 2.5 months. An honest 200lbs and kept it that way for about ten months. I've noticed my eating habits slipped the last few months and I'm ten pounds richer for it. Dang it. So, this post interests me as well. I need the added weight training for muscle mass.

Regards, Todd

The only thing I can comment on is the powerblock dumbbells...they are a good item to have, but I personally like the other multi weight dumbbells out there such as the select-tech dumbbells, versa bell dumbbells, and Probell dumbbells.

Reason being is that they are much closer to a true dumbell so you can use them for tricep extensions, pull-overs, etc....any exercise where you grasp the weight instead of the handle. Plus I don't like the pin mechanism in the Powerblocks.

But all that being said...they are decent dumbbells and a good alternative to have a whole set lying around the house. In the end though I'd just do the drive....of course I live in an area where it takes me about 15 minutes to get anywhere.

-Sean

Quagmire said:
I find the best home gym is the lazyboy, a flat screen tv and a cooler of beer next to the chair. I didn't get this gut by just sitting around and not doing anything.

A body built by lifting weights...12 ounces at a time! :biggrin:

Randy

I am awaiting a set of the bowflex dumbells-too many of the others around and not enough space.

If you have a solid coffee table and SWMBO is not around, this can substitute for a weight bench-just lay a towel across it first.

The main thing that is needed is not desire but gumption- we all have the desire to improve ourselves, but not all of us will actually do something about it.

Marty

Thanks for the replies-

It's been delivered. I see the point about the powerblocks--still I think I should be able to work around it. As for the squat rack, I don't view that as a home essential especially with the ability to do so squats and lunges with dumbells and the machine and with the leg press.

I have access to a bigtime gym--just a matter of getting there regularly. On days when I want to do serious free weights, I'd prefer to go there where a spotter is available. The home gym set up has its limitatitions, no doubt, but so far it seems pretty good for my level--I'm a long way from stacking anything so there's plenty of room for success.

Top Bottom