Wanting for wisdom
Salt and Vinegar potatoes

Dice up a lb. of potatoes.
Cover with water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar
Bring to a boil and then simmer 7-8 minutes until tender
Drain well
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat
Add the potatoes and cook until golden and crisp
remove from heat, season with salt and serve.

Salt and Vinegar potatoes

Dice up a lb. of potatoes.
Cover with water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar
Bring to a boil and then simmer 7-8 minutes until tender
Drain well
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron pan over medium high heat
Add the potatoes and cook until golden and crisp
remove from heat, season with salt and serve.

Excellent. I can par boil them in the vinegar.

Microwave the potatoes (skin on, scrubbed, poke steam vents) until fully cooked, allow to cool...best if refrigerated overnight. Baked works awesome, too - the important part is to cook them and then chill so the starches seize up

When cooled or straight outta the fridge; dice to slightly larger than you would consider "fork sized". Skin on or peeled...your choice (Russets I usually strip it off, red or yukons keep their skin cause it is thin)

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet large enough to hold you diced spuds in a single layer; non-stick, enameled or well seasoned cast iron are easier to work with than stainless steel - med-to-med/high heat. Apply a moderate layer of your preferred cooking fat; canola, olive or corn oils - pork, bacon or duck fat for those that are committing fully.

When the fat is shimmering, add the potatoes and let sit for at least 3 minutes. Then you can give it a shake to loosen the fond, turn them to crisp on 3 of the sides - then add a small diced or thin sliced onion or shallot. As those soften, you will lose a bit of crispness...worth it.

Seasoning: Salt (kosher or Spice Islands Hickory Smoked Salt), black pepper, paprika (sweet, hot or smoked), granulated garlic. The dried spices will bloom, but can burn if the heat is too high or you add them too early. You s/b tossing, mixing the potato / onions to coat evenly. If you are scraping them to release from the pan you have used too little fat..adding in a little here will help

Add any fresh herbs you like now; parsley and thyme are winners, give them a toss, then plate 'em up

Microwave the potatoes (skin on, scrubbed, poke steam vents) until fully cooked, allow to cool...best if refrigerated overnight. Baked works awesome, too - the important part is to cook them and then chill so the starches seize up

When cooled or straight outta the fridge; dice to slightly larger than you would consider "fork sized". Skin on or peeled...your choice (Russets I usually strip it off, red or yukons keep their skin cause it is thin)

Heat a heavy bottomed skillet large enough to hold you diced spuds in a single layer; non-stick, enameled or well seasoned cast iron are easier to work with than stainless steel - med-to-med/high heat. Apply a moderate layer of your preferred cooking fat; canola, olive or corn oils - pork, bacon or duck fat for those that are committing fully.

When the fat is shimmering, add the potatoes and let sit for at least 3 minutes. Then you can give it a shake to loosen the fond, turn them to crisp on 3 of the sides - then add a small diced or thin sliced onion or shallot. As those soften, you will lose a bit of crispness...worth it.

Seasoning: Salt (kosher or Spice Islands Hickory Smoked Salt), black pepper, paprika (sweet, hot or smoked), granulated garlic. The dried spices will bloom, but can burn if the heat is too high or you add them too early. You s/b tossing, mixing the potato / onions to coat evenly. If you are scraping them to release from the pan you have used too little fat..adding in a little here will help

Add any fresh herbs you like now; parsley and thyme are winners, give them a toss, then plate 'em up

Somebody knows their home fries.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Excellent recipe and pretty much exactly how I do them too. Except I use finely chopped fresh garlic added just at the end, to prevent it from burning.

I always boil a couple extra dinner potatoes during the week and save them in the fridge for weekend home-fries.

Top Bottom