What's new

Home Brewer Question - Bourbon Beer

Sorry if this is a duplicated topic. Question is fairly straightforward. More complicated background - I'm NOT a home brewer...I just drink them. My Father-in-Law, however, has been brewing for quite a while. Since I've been utilizing his office as I work from home, he occassionally stops in to ask my opinion on his latest concoction. Which, as of late, has been infusing bourbon into some of his favorite cold weather styles.

Which leads me to my question - what bourbon do yall use in your bourbon ales?

His first, which was a smoked coffee porter, used Woodford. He believes the standard Woodford, though I've only ever seen him with the Double Oaked. It was phenomenal. His current project is a brown ale. He was looking for a lower cost option, purchased some JB White label, and aged in in a jar with some oak spires. The result was....less than ideal. The aged "bourbon" was mostly an ethanol flavor - which I found odd due to the low proof point. Hardly any other flavors at all. Perhaps that's to be expected with JBW, as I've never really had it on it's own. Any recommendations on a bourbon to use?

Top Bottom