What's new

Holsters are getting as bad as firearms and ammunition

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Crazy how different all states are. In Ohio you have to complete a CCW class along with range time. I know several states that border Ohio don't require any classes, its just paperwork.

I don't know if it's required, but most of the ccw instructors I know in Okieland have their students attend a range session with them, to show they have operational knowledge of the firearm.

But Oklahoma is also a constitutional carry state now, and they have no such requirements to carry.

I don't know if it's required, but most of the ccw instructors I know in Okieland have their students attend a range session with them, to show they have operational knowledge of the firearm.

But Oklahoma is also a constitutional carry state now, and they have no such requirements to carry.

They found in AZ that more folks were signing up for lessons when they dropped the mandatory training requirement. I think people want to, if they’re serious about carrying.

Instructors were afraid they’d lose business, but business picked up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

They found in AZ that more folks were signing up for lessons when they dropped the mandatory training requirement. I think people want to, if they’re serious about carrying.

Instructors were afraid they’d lose business, but business picked up

Yeah, I think instructors here, try to minimize as much liability now as possible. They don't let students shoot their own guns now, they just pass their own .22 LR pistol around and let the students show they are capable of the manual of arms it takes to a make the pistol shoot safely in the right direction.

I'm sure they don't even have to hit the paper target.

Yeah, I think instructors here, try to minimize as much liability now as possible. They don't let students shoot their own guns now, they just pass their own .22 LR pistol around and let the students show they are capable of the manual of arms it takes to a make the pistol shoot safely in the right direction.

I'm sure they don't even have to hit the paper target.

That’s horrible. We use our EDCs here and it’s a demanding regimen.

OkieStubble

That’s horrible. We use our EDCs here and it’s a demanding regimen.

We are a prolific gun state. They probably just assume, we are born from the womb with a gun in our hand, so they can just have a "cattle chute" type of training system. Get em' in get em' out.

We are a prolific gun state. They probably just assume, we are born from the womb with a gun in our hand, so they can just have a "cattle chute" type of training system. Get em' in get em' out.

Training isn’t required here. Is it there?

“Training”
What the term specifies varies so much it can be scary.
Knowing what the required lesson plan would be for any “training” would be far more interesting to me.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
The Southern Trapper took 14 weeks to get me my leather (Well worth the wait BTW). The Arkansas State Police took 16... DAYS to get my CHCL in hand. We are constitution carry as well but I figured I should have one (and just between y'all and me they are a great get out of jail free card. Just sayin'). All CHCLs here require a range session post classroom with the Enhanced version being a timed, scored version. The scoring is actually kind of scary. It's a B-29 silhouette target (that guy is fatter than I am! :lol: ), anything inside the "7" ring counts, and a score of 70% is required. Per the instructor "You can miss everything at 15 yards as long as you run the target at 3 and 7..." WTH?!? I made it a point to over achieve...

The Southern Trapper took 14 weeks to get me my leather (Well wroth the wait BTW). The Arkansas State Police took 16... DAYS to get my CHCL in hand. We are constitution carry as well but I figured I should have one (and just between y'all and me they are a great get out of jail free card. Just sayin'). All CHCLs here require a range session post classroom with the Enhanced version being a timed, scored version. The scoring is actually kind of scary. It's a B-29 target (that guy is fatter than I am! :lol: ), anything inside the "7" ring counts, and a score of 70% is required. Per the instructor "You can miss everything at 15 yards as long as you run the target at 3 and 7..." WTH?!? I made it a point to over achieve...

The CHCL will also get you reciprocity in other states.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It's great that reciprocity has expanded as it has. For several years I had both a resident Louisiana permit and a non-resident Florida permit in order to cover all the states I was likely to travel through. But I dropped the Florida permit once my Louisiana permit was able to cover all of those that it now covers. I doubt we'll ever see full coverage for 50 states.

It's great that reciprocity has expanded as it has. For several years I had both a resident Louisiana permit and a non-resident Florida permit in order to cover all the states I was likely to travel through. But I dropped the Florida permit once my Louisiana permit was able to cover all of those that it now covers. I doubt we'll ever see full coverage for 50 states.

I still have my non-resident Florida. It’s probably due to Georgia not having a training requirement that I need it for reciprocity.

Florida’s requirement was satisfied by my Ohio hunter safety certificate...LOL.

Here in Illinois 16 hours of training is required (unless you have a DD-214 or are an instructor, then only 8 (can't be combined)). Part of that training is putting rounds on target to show proficiency. 5,7, and 10 yard, man-sized targets. 10 rounds on target at each range. When I want a holster I want leather and I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have a wait for whatever holster I want. I know that kydex works just fine, I'm just not a fan.

Here in Illinois 16 hours of training is required (unless you have a DD-214 or are an instructor, then only 8 (can't be combined)). Part of that training is putting rounds on target to show proficiency. 5,7, and 10 yard, man-sized targets. 10 rounds on target at each range. When I want a holster I want leather and I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have a wait for whatever holster I want. I know that kydex works just fine, I'm just not a fan.

I am ex USAF officer. I had to qualify with 38 revolver in OCS back in 1969. I had ten years active duty following my commissioning and never again had to qualify. I did go back into reserve, for Desert Storm, and then upon return had to qualify with the M9 a couple of times. I would say for a lot of folks that DD-214 does not represent much if any training. Our USAF enlisted troops did not qualify with a handgun, unless they were air police or possibly security services.

I am ex USAF officer. I had to qualify with 38 revolver in OCS back in 1969. I had ten years active duty following my commissioning and never again had to qualify. I did go back into reserve, for Desert Storm, and then upon return had to qualify with the M9 a couple of times. I would say for a lot of folks that DD-214 does not represent much if any training. Our USAF enlisted troops did not qualify with a handgun, unless they were air police or possibly security services.

No, the DD-214 doesn’t mean a thing. Most familiarized with firearms never even held a pistol. I have a friend who was in the 101st and I cringe when I watch him grip a pistol.

Top Bottom