What's new

Holiday Drama?

I hear what you are saying. The compliments are very much appreciated, but it's difficult to receive them I guess, for many different reasons. Be it the intense scrutiny we have received all year, or because we know we get paid for it in the back of our minds. And I'm sure, the subconscious feelings of guilt for the ones we couldn't or didn't save have something to do with this also.

It is what it is.
You, and those like you may take home a salary, but there is no compensation that covers what the job does to you. I tell my wife that I have NO regrets about missing out on the career I "thought" I wanted. NONE.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I spent the wee early hours of the morning, standing in the cold and dark, convincing a very, emotionally broken young man, to hand me his pistol and not let his parents wake up in a few hours and find out their son killed himself sitting in his vehicle at a park on Christmas morning.

I made sure to call everyone of my children when I got off work; to ask them, if they knew how much their father loves them.

The answers were yes... :)

Thanks be to God that you were there to help.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
You, and those like you may take home a salary, but there is no compensation that covers what the job does to you. I tell my wife that I have NO regrets about missing out on the career I "thought" I wanted. NONE.

I tell my wife all the time. “I should have been an Accountant.” ;)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thanks be to God that you were there to help.

The younger officers who have to work the boogeyman hours (nights, weekends, holidays) will come up to me with a curious look and ask, why do I choose to be there, in the wee hours of the morning on Christmas when the rest of the world is sleeping?

I tell them, I like it when it’s quiet out.

The young man the other morning had told me, he has screamed out to God in his thoughts many times, because he could be in a room full of people and yet still feel utterly and totally all alone.

That’s when I told him; “and yet, here “we both are”, in the dark, in the middle of the night at a park, in the middle of nowhere, TOGETHER. What are the chances of that!

Could it be, God did hear you?

It went really well after that. :)

Top Bottom