What's new

Holiday booked for August -- Taking a razor abroad?

I recommend the Gillette Guard cartridge razor for travel. Buy a handle and 6 blades from eBay and you are good to go. I have not tried the Bic Metal but have heard good things!

I am also going to travel by air this week with only carry-on luggage. I use the Schick Hydro 5 for this purpose. (Schick is Wilkinson Sword on your side of the pond.)

Good evening to all fellow shavers

My wife and I have booked our 2 week holiday for August. I said to my wife 'I'll just get a pack of cheap disposables' as I don't want to take my more expensive razors in case they get damaged, stolen and for security reasons at the airport.

Am I being overly cautious here or can I take my Sledgehammer and a pack of Nacet blades as long as they are stored in the hold and not in hand luggage?

Some advice would be appreciated here please.

Jason.
Check your local and destination country rules. In the U.S. we can carry on a DE razor without the blades. Blades need to go into checked luggage. Note that there could be a good chance that a DE razor without the blade could flag your carry on for a physical inspection so plan a little extra time for your check-in process. Suspect there could be a slight risk of a local gate security agent not understanding the rules that allow a DE razor without the blades. Others may be able to comment on that.

P.S. When traveling I typically just bring an electric razor for convenience and speed.

Best wishes for a great trip!

Likewise. I am in US and I pack a cartridge razor when I travel by air to avoid problems. (FWIW, I use a Hydro 5.)

I have used this set up for travel for the past 6 years. Canada, USA, Europe, Great Britain and Mexico. Packed in checked baggage and never had an issue. ALWAYS buy local shave cream/soap when you get to your destination.
BF325DFF-9EDD-405F-9DEE-B8D4C70415F8.jpeg

I typically take an inexpensive 3piece DE that I know I'd be ok with if I were to lose/forget it on the trip. And (knock on wood) I've had pretty good luck with just having one or two blades in the side pocket of my dopp bag and not getting hung up in airport security. I always make sure to break down the razor though, I've had my bag searched before when I forgot to do that (and when I brought a one-piece TTO once). Definitely pack it in a checked bag if that's an option.

To @JackC 's point above, it is fun to be able to buy some local software when you get somewhere, especially since a lot of them are inexpensive. I've done that once or twice but the problem I've run into is that depending on where you are, it can be inconvenient to actually find something close to your lodging. I remember trekking around to multiple stores when we were in Italy just because I wanted to buy a local shave product, and my wife was less than thrilled 🙄

remember trekking around to multiple stores when we were in Italy just because I wanted to buy a local shave product
I did exactly the same thing in Italy. Spent way too much time in local shops looking for Proraso!! Great minds think alike.

Packed a Gillette BlueII for an overnight trip and without much thinking some alum matches that I rarely ever have to use. Guess what, the matchbook held also 5 DE blades from a previous roadtrip…

So they showed up on the X-Ray and it took a good additional 10 minutes for a second (manual) check and disposal.

No consequences but a reminder to pack your stuff carefully to avoid delays at the security checkpoint.

09772C03-6025-4B4A-8CF7-E921BA803941.jpeg

I am pretty much a ‘one bag’ (carry-on only) guy!

If I need to take multiple flights, then I resort to a cart. However, if I am staying in one place then the Lord L6 is my razor. I either purchase blades on site or mail some to my hotel before I leave.
I used to do something similar. When my nephews were young, I would visit on their birthdays. I kept razor blades and some other toiletries at my sister & BIL's place.

I should check. I may still have a toiletry bag there.

I'm not a cartridge fan, but I wouldn't take any of my razors if I fly somewhere on a vacation or whatever. I also wouldn't take any of my brushes and probably won't take an aftershave as well. Just a cart and one of my almost empty shaving creams would do nicely.

Another comment on this thread.

Based on a few member's testimonials, I may invest in a pack of Bic Metals. Like I mentioned before, I have used cheap twin-blade disposables and they work well enought. I do appreciate the advice given! Its a case of 'You pays your money you takes your choice!''

Jason
I've done the disposable route for years. Toss at the end of the trip. I do try to pack a decent shaving cream. I've had some samples of Jack Black Beard lube which takes some of the pain out.
I've upgraded the travel razor to an Edwin Jager (mach 3 head). It's not my favorite but it's a step up from the disposables. Most of them don't have pivoting heads which is a problem for me.
I've got a trip coming up, and I ordered a tube of JB Supreme Cream to test out. I can see if I like it better.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
And it all arrives OK? I haven’t flown in many years. Can you still put a lock on your checked luggage, or will they cut it off if you do?
My wife always has a lock on her checked suitcase and it has never been cut off. This has included many flights across the US, Europe, and Asia. When I travel alone I do not lock my case as I have nothing of value in it. When 'we' travel my wife also locks my case as for some reason it is 90% full of her stuff 🤣

And it all arrives OK? I haven’t flown in many years. Can you still put a lock on your checked luggage, or will they cut it off if you do?
You can lock your bag. Most suitcases come with built in pad locks that customs officers can open with a special key. I guess a crim would just cut your bag open if they wanted to get in.

I’ve never had anything stolen on a trip. I can’t see a toiletry bag being hot property on the black market. You might forget to pack your Mach3 but you’re not likely to leave your straight razor and badger brush behind. You’ll remember those.

Last edited:
I keep a 3-1-1 bag with everything I need for up to a month on me when I travel. If it’s a long trip, I throw a bigger kit in checked luggage. Crossing continents, I wanted to have it available to me If my checked bag ends up somewhere else. I’ve had checked bags not make a connection (domestic, got them in 2 days?) and one trip as a kid our bags ended up on another continent. I think that took a week to get to us. I just like having a few days of things with me if that happens.

that kit’s all travers and I used to travel regularly, so it stays packed. Travel brush, soap stick in a case, travel razors, and a Trac II for carry on.

if you’re going to use unfamiliar things, just practice at home before you leave so you get a feel for what you’ll be using and resultantly better shaves on the road.

TSA Agent: "Excuse me, sir, but what is this?"

Man packing the Sledgehammer razor: "That's a Sledgehammer!"

TSA Agent: "Please follow me, sir."

Man packing the Sledgehammer razor: "What is wrong, sir?"

TSA Agent: "Taking you in for further questioning!"

Man packing the Sledgehammer: "But why, sir?!?!"

TSA Agent: "Reason one being, you are attempting to carry on an illegal item. Reason two being, is being a smart alek for telling me a razor is a sledgehammer."

When travelling carry on only, I either don't shave or use a disposable. That all depends on how long I'll be away for. If checking in a bag, I will pack either a tuck of DE blades, or a couple of cheaper straights and a strop. Again, depending on the duration of the trip.

If going the DE route, I'll keep the razor in my carry on. I've never had an issue with the razor but have had it checked to ensure there is no blade included. This happened in Dublin, New York, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney and Auckland. Each time involved taking the razor out of my bag and showing there was no blade. Only in NY (arrivals) did I have to say the blades were in my checked bag. I had no issue flying out of NY.

What ever you opt for in the end, have a good trip.

Last edited:
Why not buy a cheap Lord L6 DE and bring a few blades?
I would send you one for free if shipping wasn’t more than the cost of the razor. The razor is £3-5 and perfectly fine for travelling.

I am bringing one to the Dominican Republic in a few weeks. If I lose it or it is stolen, I really don’t care as they are easily replaceable and dirt cheap.

I‘m planning on taking a DE with me this year when I go abroad. The last time I made do with a disposable 2 blade cartridge and it was ok but I only went away for 4 days then. This vacation will be longer and we’re staying at a family friend’s apartment. I’m definitely having a case in the hold this time so I’ll likely take either my original Wilkinson Sword classic (the black plastic one) or I may even take my trusted Edwin Jagger DE89.

As for software I’m giving serious thought to just taking an as of yet unopened bottle of King of Shaves Shave Serum. Been a long time since I used it but always had good shaves with it in the past. Then again I do have a selection of shave sticks I could pack… just in case, right?

Top Bottom