What's new

Holiday booked for August -- Taking a razor abroad?

Good evening to all fellow shavers

My wife and I have booked our 2 week holiday for August. I said to my wife 'I'll just get a pack of cheap disposables' as I don't want to take my more expensive razors in case they get damaged, stolen and for security reasons at the airport.

Am I being overly cautious here or can I take my Sledgehammer and a pack of Nacet blades as long as they are stored in the hold and not in hand luggage?

Some advice would be appreciated here please.

Jason.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have never "lost" a razor in my travels, but I once left one behind in my hotel room. Luckily housekeeping staff found it. The hotel contacted me and posted it back to me. That was a hotel in 南京 (Nanjing) China.

I don't travel with anything I wouldn't want to lose/didn't pay a lot for. If flying I pack my trusty Gillette Sensor from back in the day and regress to Barbasol. If hitting the road I bring one of my Techs and my Simpson Special and whatever soap bits I have in my Cella container. I like the Tech because I feel like I don't have to pack a good post-shave or a styptic if I don't feel like carrying them.

@JasonJT if you’re going to check your bags into the baggage hold you could bring your trusty 39C and blades. Worst comes to worst you’d have to replace it but, they’re readily available. I’d hate to see you posting on here that you miss your beloved Sledgehammer!

Are you gonna give us a hint as to where you’re going? Somewhere tropical?

My travel kit.

If I’m going on holiday, I don’t want to be roughing it. The same goes for my shave. Pack well and check your bag. No problem.

18FF1803-2C18-448C-B11C-2AF97F9EBAFB.jpeg

I am pretty much a ‘one bag’ (carry-on only) guy!

If I need to take multiple flights, then I resort to a cart. However, if I am staying in one place then the Lord L6 is my razor. I either purchase blades on site or mail some to my hotel before I leave.

Just spoken to my wife. She is adamant that I get a pack of twin blade disposable razors for the holiday. She won't allow me to take ANY of my safety razors in case they go missing, get damaged and for security reasons. In fairness she does have a point.

Also to be really fair I don't see anything wrong in twin blade disposable razors. I have used them way before I became a member on this forum and they do provide an acceptable shave with the minimum of fuss. Obviously they are no match for my Sledgehammer but for a fuss-free shave; they work.

Jason.

Another comment on this thread.

Based on a few member's testimonials, I may invest in a pack of Bic Metals. Like I mentioned before, I have used cheap twin-blade disposables and they work well enought. I do appreciate the advice given! Its a case of 'You pays your money you takes your choice!''

Jason

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Sounds like your wife spoke to you. Just do as she says and have a fantastic holiday. You are a wise man. Then, when you get back from a terrific holiday you can have a shave with your favourite razor. Boom

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
While I generally subscribe to the maxim "Happy Wife; Happy Life" I think you're on the right track for a different reason. When I travel, it's usually with just an electric razor.

I'm going to spend all that money going somewhere, I am not gonna spend all my time standing in front of a mirror. Besides, as previously noted by one of our wise companions: when you come home all your gear is waiting for you, and that gives you a reason to come back.

O.H.

Top Bottom