What's new

holding a kanayama strop? gold leaf stamp in the way

so i was using my new kanayama w/o a handle and i figured I would hold the strop above the 2 stamps wrapped around my thumb/pointer finger and middle finger.

proxy.php

seems like such an obvious answer, but how else would i not ruin the stamps.. and use it..

seems like an odd place for stamps.. you lose out on 2 inches or so of nice strop area. i guess it really isn't an issue.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Poor baby. :lol: I'll bet the shifter on your Ferrari is too stiff, too.

Seriously, I agree. I don't like any adornment whatsoever on the stropping area. What are they thinking?

That is how it was done. Probably more strops are like that than not. Most people wouldn't worry about the stamps. Is the strop for display or for real use?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
IMHO , at $380.00 plus shipping I would want it for use and display too, especially since it's a Japanese product where many times things are enjoyed equally for both function and aesthetics...ie Kaiseki restaurants, the Japanese cookies all individually wrapped and packaged 12 in a box, etc. Kinda like trying to preserve the etching on a rusted W&B.

Poor baby. :lol: I'll bet the shifter on your Ferrari is too stiff, too.
Seriously, I agree. I don't like any adornment whatsoever on the stropping area. What are they thinking?

i had the dealership tweak it, it was actually bit too sloppy for me coming out of the curves...

That is how it was done. Probably more strops are like that than not. Most people wouldn't worry about the stamps. Is the strop for display or for real use?

it's for use, but i like keep things looking well and i hadn't seen many strops like this in general due to my newness to straights and strops.

...due to my newness to straights and strops.

Whoopsie! Have sandpaper; will travel...:001_rolle
Seriously, if I were to grip that strop as I do my own, there would only be a short distance of the stamp exposed, and there is no way that I would travel that far down on my 'backswing'.

Whoopsie! Have sandpaper; will travel...:001_rolle
Seriously, if I were to grip that strop as I do my own, there would only be a short distance of the stamp exposed, and there is no way that I would travel that far down on my 'backswing'.

i hope i won't need it, my stropping over the past year has been pretty good.. you are probably right about the length of stropping area I need and that's how it felt when i used it..

thanks guys... sometimes I just need to confirm the obvious!

so is there any special way to use the 2nd leather strop?

I have the same strop. I hold in the same manor. One of the nicest strops out there. I use the linen first, then the second piece with 20 laps and the final leather with 20 laps. I soaked my linen in fabric conditioner for one day, rinsed let it dry natural. Its now very soft and feels much better to strop on.

gary

I have the same strop. I hold in the same manor. One of the nicest strops out there. I use the linen first, then the second piece with 20 laps and the final leather with 20 laps. I soaked my linen in fabric conditioner for one day, rinsed let it dry natural. Its now very soft and feels much better to strop on.

gary

the 2nd piece was quite heavy... i'll have to get used to it...

An alternative is to have him change the stamps. Part of the reason I did not like my first Kanayama was the huge stamps. I saw that JimR was offering other stamps and colors. I asked if it was possible to move the Kanayama stamp up top and leave the number stamp on the bottom and ditch the Llama. I got the stamps in silver to match the clamp. This is the result and I like it :001_smile

proxy.php

Top Bottom