What's new

Hold off yer brush purchases..... B&B Forum Brush

Just an FYI - I am working with a fella to create a custom B&B shaving brush. This sucker will be around - or a little less than $100, and will have a GENUINE horn handle (type of horn still up in the air) and badger hair that is white at the tip, and black to the roots (as much as possible - some variations may occur as it is a natural product - but it will be specifically ordered and pictures provided to the supplier of EXACTLY what we want - and the two examples I will show will be the badger head of my Plisson HMW and my Rooney Finest).

Several options maybe available (IE a choice of say 3 types of horn, or for an additional fee have your initials engraved in the handle and enlaid with semi-precious stones, etc). I'll explore several handle options, including genuine horn, genuine horn AND wood combo, or some sort of gorgeous/rare wood.

This is all the information I have now, and I will update you as soon as I have more info to relay - but this custom maker (which I will leave unnamed so that he can research sourcing the proper hair and such instead of fielding questions and the like) seems to really have his ducks in a row, so this project will be a go for certain.

Knot dimensions and such are still up in the air - and will be largely impacted on the availability of the hair, and the cost of the hair - as the goal is to keep this brush's cost right at the century mark, so everyone can enjoy a 100% handmade work of art that'll compete with the likes of a $400+ Plisson. Ideally - right around 23-24mm.

I will get one of these brushes, take a plethora of pics and test it for a week before it is offer to ya'll just to ensure it is of the utmost quality and you'll be getting more than your money's worth.

Depending on the materials used (a little bit of Amber, mammoth ivory, jade, etc) might be added in the mix, and the amount of knots of hair may potentially also be limited, but if you know without question you want one, feel free to pm me and let me know, and I'll put you on the top of the list - so IF the unfortunate even occurs when only some of the brushes might have XYZ features - you'll be sure to get one fully loaded.

Again - this is all the info I have right now - I'll update you ASAP.

Joel,

Do you have any idea on timeline? When the money would need to be sent? When the demo (and production) brushes might be available? etc?

This sounds exciting (far better than a slantbar, IMO), but I would love more info re: timeline

NMMB said:
Joel,

Do you have any idea on timeline? When the money would need to be sent? When the demo (and production) brushes might be available? etc?

This sounds exciting (far better than a slantbar, IMO), but I would love more info re: timeline

Based on the rariety of the items involved - I would presume sourcing the proper materials and such would take at least a few weeks.... at least. I would think the "test brush" would be in my hands in a month... and that is probably wishful thinking - so you probably have at least a month - probably 2 months. When you consider - each brush will be made from start to finish 100% by hand, by the same man... just producing them as well will probably take 3-4 weeks, so just to be safe - I'd start saving thinking it'll be available in one month - but more than likely it'll be closer to two months, and that is if we get cracking. With these things, at this early a stage, it is terribly difficult to give timelines... as it could take a day to source the raw materials... or it could take a few months! My big stress here on this project is quality... I am in no hurry to rush the man - and I made it really clear to him we aren't in a hurry, we'd much rather have the best bristle/handle/horn/wood etc possible at the best price possible VS a good bristle/handle, etc at a good price quickly. From some of the work I have seen from this individual - the quality/craftsmanship should be simply top notch (he makes brushes over $1,000 as well) and it will be a hell of a value. He also makes THE most gorgeous brush/razor stands I have ever laid eyes on, which might also be an "add on" option.

Stay tuned, as this should be a hot one.

Joel,

I am very interested in this (the understatement of the day) and I have started to save already (dumped my pocket change into a jar a few minutes ago). I have just one more concern... I am located on the Northern side of the 49th parallel (ie, I'm in Canada) and I'm wondering if it might be problematic to import such things as horn/exotic woods/etc? Anybody know about this type of stuff (any Canadian Border Guards of Canadian Food Inspection Agency Staffers amongst the B&B ranks?)?

NMMB said:
I am very interested in this (the understatement of the day) and I have started to save already (dumped my pocket change into a jar a few minutes ago). I have just one more concern... I am located on the Northern side of the 49th parallel (ie, I'm in Canada) and I'm wondering if it might be problematic to import such things as horn/exotic woods/etc? Anybody know about this type of stuff (any Canadian Border Guards of Canadian Food Inspection Agency Staffers amongst the B&B ranks?)?

I think Joel said he would personally ride through the night on a mule across the boarder and deliver it in person. No customs needed. :lol:

letterk said:
I think Joel said he would personally ride through the night on a mule across the boarder and deliver it in person. No customs needed. :lol:

I don't fear the customs fees nearly as much as I fear that the brush could get held up (or worse, confiscated) at the border. How sad would that be; to lose a beautiful, hand crafted brush to the CFIA?

NMMB said:
Joel,

Honestly... I don't know - but I don't see it as a problem. JJ carries Plissons in Canada which have horn handles, and many canadian members have horn handled plissons. Shouldn't be a problem... if it becomes a problem, i'll figure out an alternative method of getting it to you.

joel said:
Honestly... I don't know - but I don't see it as a problem. JJ carries Plissons in Canada which have horn handles, and many canadian members have horn handled plissons. Shouldn't be a problem... if it becomes a problem, i'll figure out an alternative method of getting it to you.

Sounds good, Joel. Thanks for the assurances.

I'll keep saving and will decide soon (say, when price estimates are available) if this will be a possibility for me.

One way to avoid problems is to state something broad like "Shaving Products" or "Grooming Products" on the form. Technically, you're telling the truth because it is a shaving/grooming product. You don't have to describe the item in great detail like some people do.

letterk said:

I just got a picture of this in my head. :lol:

Hmmm, horn handle and with the suspicion of savile row being made by shavemac along with these two brushes being some of the most popular on the forum. I have wonder if shavemac is behind this new brush. Will it be silver tipped? I look foward to hearing more about it and if finances permit would love to purchase one... I wonder if instead of personal ingraving they might come with the "Badger and Blade" name/ logo?

HeadandFaceShaver said:
Hmmm, horn handle and with the suspicion of savile row being made by shavemac along with these two brushes being some of the most popular on the forum. I have wonder if shavemac is behind this new brush. Will it be silver tipped? I look foward to hearing more about it and if finances permit would love to purchase one... I wonder if instead of personal ingraving they might come with the "Badger and Blade" name/ logo?

NOT shavemac. It will be 100% made in the USA - with materials from USA (save for the bristle).

S

shavingrace

joel said:
NOT shavemac. It will be 100% made in the USA - with materials from USA (save for the bristle).

Even better! But it should not carry a logo at all: the brush that Joel is commissioning will be distinctive to the point of needing no identifying logos of any kind, besides elite materials, design and execution. Logo: bad; truly superior design and manufacture: good. And if an identifying mark must be incorporated to satisfy majority tastes, then I vote for a single silver fleur-de-lis, symbol of royalty.

Top Bottom