What's new

Hoka Hey Sent Me A Gillette Deluxe To Try

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hoka Hey loaned me a Gillette Deluxe to try. I finished a two week rotation with my Fatip Testina Gentile, and have put the Deluxe in my rotation starting on Monday. I will give my first shave report then on this thread.

My first impression is that the head is quite a bit heavier than both my Gillette New SC and LC's. It is a pretty chunky piece of brass for Gillette. The handle is off of a SC, and Hoka Hey filled it with tungsten and it weighs in at 80 grams. The comb very much looks like the New SC with the bottom plate design of the New LC only thicker. I do prefer my SC to LC because the base plate is rounded with the top cap locking the blade down forward offering more rigidity. We shall see. I sometimes find the weight of a razor can off set any lack blade rigidity, or at least it seems that it does. It looks like an aggressive little sucker and should be fun to shave with. Here are photo's along with a big thank you to Hoka Hey for letting me try one of his Deluxe's! I look forward to my first shave. It is loaded and ready to go. razors
006.JPG
012.JPG

Last edited:
One of these days I will find a nice Deluxe and see what all the excitement is about. Looking forward to your shave report. Way to go Mark...I thought my AD was in remission.

One of these days I will find a nice Deluxe and see what all the excitement is about. Looking forward to your shave report. Way to go Mark...I thought my AD was in remission.
Kevin,
I have a Norfolk you could try. Handle is shorter, but you probably have a common bar you could put the head on.
IMG_0740.JPG

Kevin,
I have a Norfolk you could try. Handle is shorter, but you probably have a common bar you could put the head on.View attachment 821800

Oh so tempted to take you up on your offer. However, I need to limit my temptations. As it is, I will be visiting Pastuers in a couple weeks and that will be enough of a shaving temptation for a lifetime.

Amazingly generous, perhaps later this year.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Shave report:
Razor: Gillette Deluxe
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Proraso Green (Splash)

The first shave was with two days of stubble. Like most OC's it mowed through it easily on a WTG pass. I could tell it was a very efficient razor right from the first stroke. I always start right under the left ear where I have a mole. I have to be careful how I approach that area especially with more aggressive razors. I looked for blood and there was none. This was great and a good start as I don't have to deal with the mole being nicked all week.

I don't really know what I was expecting from the razor, but my initial thoughts were that it would be more like my New Types than any other razor. My first shave impression is that it is closer in feel to my Gillette Old Type, which is good. Though I like the New SC for different reasons mainly how smooth it is. Like my Old Type the Deluxe seems to be a whole lot of blade feel.

I was a bit worried how my neck area would go as my hair grows in all directions, and the Deluxe doesn't lock the blade down as rigid as my SC and more like my New LC. I get one easy N-S pass under my chin and neck then which ever way I go I'm going to go against the grain. With my New LC I get some pulling, skipping, and what they call blade chatter if I'm really not on top of my game. My SC is more blade rigid and I can navigate it more smoothly in those areas due to a more rigid blade. The New Deluxe handled it very well, and it cut threw very efficiently without any pulling or blade chatter.

Conclusion: This is a pretty aggressive razor and very efficient with a lot of blade feel. As for smoothness it is not my SC, but more like my Old Type. Though as my fresh Polsilver breaks in and mellows my impression may change. Like my Old, I feel that it can and will bite if I have a lapse of attention. My first impression is that it is more akin to my Old Type than my New's which is a good thing. Though I love my SC for different reasons. Conclusion: The Deluxe delivered and there was little irritation when applying aftershave with bbs results except on a few areas on my neck where I never push it, it was very efficient and so far I like it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report! I've really been enjoying using the one @Hoka Hey lent me.

Hey, I think I figured out why I can't find a good deluxe on Ebay, he's buying them all...

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thanks for the report! I've really been enjoying using the one @Hoka Hey lent me.

Hey, I think I figured out why I can't find a good deluxe on Ebay, he's buying them all...
I think you might be on to something! Then he says, "Here try this and see what you're missing" ha,ha,ha! :001_smile :001_tt2:

Not recently! Ok, there was a 15mm version that I needed.

Finding the NEW Deluxe models is hit and miss. I think there are 3 Big Boys for sale right now, which is unusual. When I bought mine, hadn't seen one for months. Patience helps.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Three days in with the Gillette Deluxe Mark lent me. I'm finding that lack of blade rigidity (rabidus), like my New LC, under my chin and on certain areas of my neck is coming into play. Short well prepped 24 hour stubble is a lot stiffer than well prepped 48 hours of growth because the latter is longer with more bend or give to it. I find that like my LC it requires a shallower angle and blade buffing in those troublesome areas to minimize pulling and tugging.

Conclusion thus far: I still feel the Deluxe is closer to my Gillette Old than it is necessarily to my New's only for me it lacks rigidity. If I had to rank the razors in order it would be:

1. Gilllette Old
2. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette Deluxe
4. Gillette New LC

Sorry Mark and thank you so much for letting me try this razor. It is very good on so many levels especially efficiency. The pulling and tugging is a deal breaker, and I find the blade buffing works but with added risk of irritation in sensitive neck areas. For me I'll have to pass on searching to buy a Deluxe it is a deal breaker, and again for me the clear winners are the Old Type and New Type SC.

Thank you so much for your kindness and I really did want to love this razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Short well prepped 24 hour stubble is a lot stiffer than well prepped 48 hours of growth because the latter is longer with more bend or give to it.

I noticed that very thing today. I rarely shave two days in a row, but I did today with my post war Tech and a fresh Gillette Yellow. They really are sharp blades and 3 full passes and 3 clean ups later I ended up with an exceptionally nice shave.

the clear winners are the Old Type and New Type SC.

As I said in the other thread, they're the same, one just has gap. :001_tongu

IME NEW DeLuxe (17 mm) heads are excellent shavers. Like an OT but smoother and more.. predictable, so to speak. Paired with a Feather, they deliver great, close shaves. A dream.

I would even have to think twice if asked which is my favourite one... the SRs or the DeLuxes... hmmm...

Oh, btw, @Raven Koenes .. have you tried a 15 mm...?:001_rolle :ihih:

IME NEW DeLuxe (17 mm) heads are excellent shavers. Like an OT but smoother and more.. predictable, so to speak. Paired with a Feather, they deliver great, close shaves. A dream.

I would even have to think twice if asked which is my favourite one... the SRs or the DeLuxes... hmmm...

Oh, btw, @Raven Koenes .. have you tried a 15 mm...?:001_rolle :ihih:
I sent him a 17mm to try.
I only just found a 15mm. Should be here this week. Those are a bit hard to find!

Top Bottom