What's new

Hog and Badger Combinations

Great can’t go wrong. I have Two brushes that are 70/30 from Maggards. I love em. All I use now my Synthetic are on the Back Burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boar bristle brushes have wonderful backbone, but the bristles are coarse. It can take a while to break in the brushes to the point they feel good on the face. A densely packed badger brush can be quite soft, yet have good backbone. However, you pay dearly for the badger hair. A blended boar/badger brush is a compromise. You can get some of the backbone of the boar and some of the softness of the badger. The cost will be somewhere between that of a boar and badger, depending upon the blend. Whether you like the blend will depend upon your preferences for backbone and face feel.

Boar bristle brushes have wonderful backbone, but the bristles are coarse. It can take a while to break in the brushes to the point they feel good on the face. A densely packed badger brush can be quite soft, yet have good backbone. However, you pay dearly for the badger hair. A blended boar/badger brush is a compromise. You can get some of the backbone of the boar and some of the softness of the badger. The cost will be somewhere between that of a boar and badger, depending upon the blend. Whether you like the blend will depend upon your preferences for backbone and face feel.
At $16 its worth a gamble I would think.

I also have two Maggard's mixed 70/30 knots, one 24mm and one 26mm. I used the 24mm this morning, actually. Great knots. I don't know if I need two of them, but I wouldn't be without one.

I have an Omega Mixed Midget that I just couldn't get used to so I re-knotted it with a TGN synthetic and use it occasionally but it is mostly a travel brush though...

I have an Omega Mixed Midget that I just couldn't get used to so I re-knotted it with a TGN synthetic and use it occasionally but it is mostly a travel brush though...

I figured for $13 I couldn't get hurt too bad. I've never used badger hair.

Let us know how you like the brush (please)!

I have only used badger (mostly) or boar. So I am most interested in how this one works out.
Yes, the combo kind of took me by surprise. I will definitely followup. Thanks Big J.

Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Boar and Bristle is an excellent low price brush with a very nice handle imo.

Google some reviews and you'll find that plenty agree.

I find the Mixed Midget to be a bit on the small size.

I have the Semogue Mistura, but have not yet used it enough to break it in. Boar bristle holds a lot of water in addition to providing backbone and scrub. The badger hair offers softness and requires less break in. This brush feels different, but that's all I can say at this point. The Mistura has a very comfortable resin handle, soft tips, scrub and backbone. I like it so far. I think it's worth having in any collection.

I have the Semogue Mistura, but have not yet used it enough to break it in. Boar bristle holds a lot of water in addition to providing backbone and scrub. The badger hair offers softness and requires less break in. This brush feels different, but that's all I can say at this point. The Mistura has a very comfortable resin handle, soft tips, scrub and backbone. I like it so far. I think it's worth having in any collection.
Yes, I was thinking your description was what I would suspect. I am concerned about the size, but can’t complain for $13.

Top Bottom