What's new

Hoffritz plating?

I own several Merkur slant razors with all the different brandings like Hoffritz, Pomco, Coles etc.

I can say that they changed the plating on their razors over the decades. Remember that these slant razors were made for more than 70 decades! Early models had nickel plated handles, later they plated them with silver and the white silver knurling. Late Hoffritz slant razors for example had a chrome plated handle then like the current production Merkur razors. There were also gold plated razors as well.

On the silver plated handles it was the same like on the gold plated Gillette TTO's: There was a thin clear laquer that sealed the plating and when it came off the handles started to tarnish. So, if you ever get your fingers on a minty Merkur slant razor with all the different brandings avoid to clean or polish the handle with aggressive chemicals.

Once the handle shows some tarnishing the banking soda / aluminium foil method is probably the first method to get that thing shiny again. You could also try to get it shiny again with a non abrasive polish but use it carefully.

Can the white finish be replated?

@ cpacamper: I really don't know, I'm sorry.

@ ks6c: The age of the razors can be estimated, but I'm not able to date them for sure and I spent a lot of time to get informations how to do that. Sadly, Merkur razors have no date code.

Early models had only written 'Merkur' on the bottom of the handle, later they added the 'Soligen-Germany' line.

Please notice how the teeth are processed underneat the head on that one:

http://www.gut-rasiert.de/forum/index.php/topic,24367.0.html

It is an earlier model.

hrfdez posted a pic earlier here, that razor was made later. Please notice how the teeth are processed on that one.

The plain top cap was replaced with the scalloped top cap in the early 1970ies.

Later they switched to chrome plating.

I will go to bed with more knowledge than I woke up with this morning, and that's a good thing! Thanks, Oel.

@ cpacamper: I really don't know, I'm sorry.

@ ks6c: The age of the razors can be estimated, but I'm not able to date them for sure and I spent a lot of time to get informations how to do that. Sadly, Merkur razors have no date code.

Early models had only written 'Merkur' on the bottom of the handle, later they added the 'Soligen-Germany' line.

Please notice how the teeth are processed underneat the head on that one:

http://www.gut-rasiert.de/forum/index.php/topic,24367.0.html

It is an earlier model.

hrfdez posted a pic earlier here, that razor was made later. Please notice how the teeth are processed on that one.

The plain top cap was replaced with the scalloped top cap in the early 1970ies.

Later they switched to chrome plating.

I was told that mine was circa 1940ish, but you are right, without code it is hard to tell. Is an amazing razor. Mine has the add on markings at the bottom.

Thanks for all this good info.

Top Bottom