What's new

Hoe many use pre shave oil?

For me it doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. I get better results with Proraso pre which has been a staple for me for years now.

It also seems that oil leaves a residue on my brushes if I apply too much.

I've tried it and it didn't seem to make any difference for me. I ended up using the oil (Alonzo's) to put a light coat of oil on my razors before putting them up. Waste not, want not.

I use to use a home brew when I used DEs. But when I switched to straights I felt like it provided more "sticktion" than glide, so it went on the shelf.

Recently I saw a post about using pre-shave as a post shave. Sure enough. Alum, rinse, then a bit of my pre-shave, then my lightweight lotion as a post shave balm. Ahhhhhh!

My oilmix = Grapeseed, sweet almond oil, Argan oil,and coconut oil finished with lime essential oil for scent and antiseptic effect. Works fanFingtastic...I tried big box stuff but found it lacking and lather killing when using a DE so I decided to mix this up and try with recently aquired Feather Artist SS. I use it every other shave now.

I've used some preshave oils and I like them. But, over time have just been using regular hair conditioner. I usually put it on and then get everything together such as shaving cream whipped up. I've found that it works great and even helps thicken some of the shaving creams up once brushed on.

Many years ago I use to make my own shave oil made out of castor oil, glycerol and almond oil. It worked well, but was replaced by The Ach Brito Glyce Soap that has served me well the last seven years or so. It's less messy and my daily face soap regardless of I'm going to shave or not.

There are several shaving oil recipes to be found on the internet, here's one link.
8 Pre Shave Oil Recipes for an Amazing Shave - Grooming Heroes
Thanks for the Link
I usually use the AOS pre shave oil
In 3mL samples from the Dollar Tree
But at least two of the recipes in list
Are really close to the AOS formula
And I'll start by mixing up some that
First ,only mine will have a scent to it.

Thanks for the Link
I usually use the AOS pre shave oil
In 3mL samples from the Dollar Tree
But at least two of the recipes in list
Are really close to the AOS formula
And I'll start by mixing up some that
First ,only mine will have a scent to it.
You're most welcome:001_smile

Since switching to 90% of my shaves being straight razor and not FAC SS I am now using it sparingly and as an after after shave works great for me and not to oily then when I'm done 2 drops on a TP square and wipe the blade off for oxidation protection....

I did try some but really I don’t need it! My pre shave routine works for me, a mild soap whit warm water do very well for me. I found that a slick soap or cream is adequate me the very best.

I use shaving oil on the second pass to moisturize my skin after the first pass...Moisturized skin is the key to shaving for me

I do not use it.I find that a good quality shave soap can do the job with out the use of pre-shave oil.Beard prep is the key.A well hydrated whisker is easier to cut.

With oil I get a more comfortable shave, but no where near as close. Even with a little alum on the fingers I can't get my skin stretched as well with the oil on it. Most days I go with just soap. If it has been 48 hours or more since my last shave I use the Proraso preshave cream before my first pass. That seems to help a lot if there is some growth.

Top Bottom