What's new

Hoe many use pre shave oil?

just curious to see how many out there are using pre shave oil? I recently bought some and I must say it really does help give a great glide underneath the soap and soften the hairs up nicely (great scent as well). It has definitely Stepped up my shave game since I started using it , giving me nice smooth passes with very little pressure needed.

I use the Proraso white preshave cream. I am in the middle of an experiment right now to see how much of a difference it makes. It feels like it cuts down on irritiation but I am not sure how much it contributes to glide.

Which oil are you using?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Have used it in the past. Made a difference while I was learning to shave with a DE. But once I became a pro I found it made no difference.

If Im going to shave after one day or less of whisker growth I use Noxema face cream after a shower. Softens the whiskers and its not an oil. I don't like putting oil on my face. It gets oily enough.

I don't need to but I use it on my first pass. I like the additional glide and it feels like there's a bit of additional protection. Been using Maggards lately.

FWIW on a normal day I have a fairly aggressive set up. Fatboy on 7 and either a Feather or Astra.

I just started using pre-shave oil again to see if I can get a more comfortable shave using a more aggressive plate on my 6s. I just use straight castor oil (will likely add my own essential oil to it). It seems to help. Besides Castor oil is supposed to be good for your skin. I have used Noxzema Classic Clean in the past. I find it worked better than the Proraso preshave and at a fraction of the price.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've tried it and it does nothing for me, but that doesn't mean it would not be a good idea for you. Like most things, a little experimentation will provide the answer one way or the other.

Thanks for the Input guys !!! It seems that it’s very subjective , much like everything else in this wonderful hobby, but I do think it adds that extra glide which I really like . I don’t worry to much about the oil because after I shave my aftershave of choice takes care of drying my face completely .

i use baumbe pre-shave gel and ADP pre-shave oil. they both work great. the ADP requires soap to get off your hands. i like them both. i use just the pres-save to line my beard on the cheeks.

also i used art of shaving pre shave oil and gel. the oil was wack to me but the gel was the best gel i ever used. the bottle sucked though i wish they would put it in a tub instead of a airless push bottle style. used it by itself, to line beard on cheeks against the grain right off the bat after electric line up.

I’ve been using Noxzema for a year now and it works well for me. It’s much like the Proraso pre/post shave cream which I have used the white in the past and liked it as well

Have used it in the past. Made a difference while I was learning to shave with a DE. But once I became a pro I found it made no difference.

My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn’t shave if I didn’t have any, but eventually stopped using it. I wonder if switching to “better” soaps/creams also made it unnecessary. Last but not least, I switched to an SE so kinda tough for me to point to one factor.

I have used store bought in the past, but make my own with Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Tea Tree Oil and some essential oil fragrances. There is a great Wiki on B&B about the purpose of preshave oils and, since I'm getting older, I believe it's made a bid difference for me.

I've tried it, and even tried several times using it on one side of my face only, to see if it made a discernible difference. To me it didn't seem to do anything, so I stopped using it. Simple works.

I use it off and on. I get a better shave with it, but it's a bit more trouble and the difference is small. I make my own, various formulas.

Top Bottom