What's new

Hockey...Hockey...Hockey

I may live in Columbus but Im not the world's biggest CBJ fan in the world (Im really more of a Chicago Blackhawks fan, what with growing up in Wisconsin) but theres a part of me that really enjoyed watching them eliminate Toronto last night.
As an American hockey fan who gets really tired sometimes of listening to Canada pretend that they are somehow genetically superior at hockey (much like British people were when it came to golf 100 years ago), I enjoy watching the Canadian teams fail to win the Cup year after year, even if the reality is that pretty much all of the American teams have a signifigant % of Canadian and players.
Good Lord, I cant stand Toronto and loved watching them fail. LOL

While our southerly neighbor is producing more hockey talent as time goes on (particularly in the women's game, whoo-boy your team is TOUGH), I think it is somewhat funny to beak about "Canadians and their genetic superiority" attitude. We simply claim to produce the best hockey players in the world. A simple check of the national make-up of most teams proves the point.

But yeah . . . it's fun to listen to "LeafsNation" prepping to jump off the nearest bridge.

GOHAWKSGO !!!
Meh. I’m 51 and they haven’t won the Cup in my lifetime. No point in the Leafs changing that now!

Most of us hardcore Leafs fans are used to having our dreams shattered annually and don’t take it too seriously.

I will laugh if we get the first overall pick though. Look out if Pittsburgh gets it as they don’t need more firepower. 🤞

While our southerly neighbor is producing more hockey talent as time goes on (particularly in the women's game, whoo-boy your team is TOUGH), I think it is somewhat funny to beak about "Canadians and their genetic superiority" attitude. We simply claim to produce the best hockey players in the world. A simple check of the national make-up of most teams proves the point.
I just think it's funny that Canadians proudly boast that hockey is their game and seem to have a sense of entitlement, even though there's other countries who are just as good and the last time a Canadian team won the Cup was like 1993.
Then you have the claim that Canada invented hockey but theres evidence that hockey was played in England before it was played in Canada.
I love Canada, just not so much when it comes to hockey. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Anybody think Chicago has a chance against Vegas? I am a long, long, time Hawks fan and I did not give them a shot against the Oilers. If nothing else I will at least get four more Chicago games this year.
Sadly... no. But they’ll make a good fight of it I think. Edmonton’s biggest downfall is lack of defense and consistent goaltending. Now the Hawks face Fleury/Lehner and a defense that backs up a potent offense.

they have their work cut out for them and honestly I do hope I’m wrong.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Sadly... no. But they’ll make a good fight of it I think. Edmonton’s biggest downfall is lack of defense and consistent goaltending. Now the Hawks face Fleury/Lehner and a defense that backs up a potent offense.

they have their work cut out for them and honestly I do hope I’m wrong.

For a 3rd year team it is amazing how good they are. I can only hope for a first round knock out ala last season.

For a 3rd year team it is amazing how good they are. I can only hope for a first round knock out ala last season.
It’ll be extremely interesting to see if Seattle can do the same.

I think they really rallied around the fact that their old teams “didn’t want them” and allowed them to be picked by Vegas. I mean hell we (Capitals) traded away Chandler Stephenson earlier this year to them and he scored in his first game with them.

Think they’ve built such a successful culture where players can play to their full potential. That being said I hope they get bounced 😂

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Look out if Pittsburgh gets it as they don’t need more firepower. 🤞

1597081535710.png

I just think it's funny that Canadians proudly boast that hockey is their game and seem to have a sense of entitlement, even though there's other countries who are just as good and the last time a Canadian team won the Cup was like 1993.

We used to see the "Canada vs. the world" in hockey kind of like the Harlem Globetrotters vs. the Washington Generals. And to some extent that was a fair comparison. But from time to time we get a wake-up call that it's not that lopsided anymore ... 1972 was the first big one and probably still the biggest ... but generally the Canadians have responded with renewed vigor (and/or national panic) and made changes to get back on top.

But "the top" is a lot more crowded now than it was in decades past. We might still be the best ... but the chances of meeting the Washington Generals is pretty much gone.

But yeah . . . it's fun to listen to "LeafsNation" prepping to jump off the nearest bridge.

1597082220987.png

I guess the closest we could come to explaining this to our American friends is to have them imagine if the last time the Yankees had won the world series was 1967, and they've pretty much sucked ever since.

Then you have the claim that Canada invented hockey but theres evidence that hockey was played in England before it was played in Canada.

Re: bolded . . . St Louis Blues used 30 different players last year on their way to the Cup. 21 of those were Canadians. So, while it has been a while for a Canadian team to hoist the Cup, the majority of players who do, are Canadians. Every year. (or close to it)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
and the last time a Canadian team won the Cup was like 1993.
So, while it has been a while for a Canadian team to hoist the Cup, the majority of players who do, are Canadians. Every year. (or close to it)

Interesting fact: when the Montreal Canadiens won the cup in 1993, they did so with a roster consisting entirely of North American players. Mostly Canadian, with a few Americans (John Leclair springs to mind) thrown in. No Europeans.

Every winning team since ... and many previously ... included Europeans on the roster.

Anybody think Chicago has a chance against Vegas? I am a long, long, time Hawks fan and I did not give them a shot against the Oilers. If nothing else I will at least get four more Chicago games this year.
Sure they do. I'm rooting for Vegas of course but there's really not that big a difference between the first and last seeds here. Vegas has put together a pretty good team but they still don't ever seem to dominate for an entire 60 minutes, much less for a string of 4 games. Their Achilles heel in my opinion is their coaching. if they go deep this year, it'll be in spite of DeBoer, not because of him.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm a Boston guy and when Boston inevitably gets knocked out of the playoffs most years I always pull for those Canadian clubs who might still be in the tournament. I like Canadians, and I know what a pro championship means to a city (did you hear me say I'm from Boston???). Canadians' passion for hockey is a national characteristic, while in the USA hockey is a niche sport (with a few regional exceptions).

And to the man who mentioned the women's game above- some of the most competitive, exciting hockey I've watched over the past 20 years has been between the women from the USA and Canada. What a rivalry.

Owen Bawn

Hockey is descended from Irish hurling in a roundabout way. The Irish and Scots played hurling on ice in winter in the C18-C19, calling it 'shinny.' Pond hockey was still called shinny in New England when I was a kid.

Here's an Irish documentary (with subtitles) on the Irish origin of ice hockey in Canada. It began in schools in Nova Scotia, apparently.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hockey is descended from Irish hurling in a roundabout way. The Irish and Scots played hurling on ice in winter in the C18-C19, calling it 'shinny.' Pond hockey was still called shinny in New England when I was a kid.

Canadians typically still use the term "shinny" to refer to hockey in general, or more usually to the more disorganised outdoor hockey played with minimal equipment.

Owen Bawn

And just like that the Bruins' season ends. Oh well... it never really feels like summer to me until the Bruins get knocked out of the playoffs.

Top Bottom