What's new

Hoarding the good towels?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
My wife recently purchased some really plush extra large white hand towels. I’ve been covertly separating them out from the average hand towels and stashing them under the sink for my exclusive use whilst shaving. Am I at the precipice of another rabbit hole? Let’s hear about the good towels.

Barber/salon towels.

I have one on each side and a cut off plush outside that I use to clean up (sink, mirrors, and counter). Works for me

proxy.php

Barber/salon towels.

I have one on each side and a cut off plush outside that I use to clean up (sink, mirrors, and counter). Works for me

proxy.php
Thank you for posing this. I am a couple month into this game and seeing this makes so much sense. I have been using only one small face towel to keep everything "dry" and dong a very bad job at it. I was thinking that once I got better I could be more successful at controlling the water and not leaving the bathroom looking like the rainy season in the Serengeti.

I got tired of my wife coming home with a different color and style of towels every few months, so we went to Costco, found what color and style she liked and filled up two carts. Now the hodge podge of towels are in the rag box and all the towels finally match. The best part is she stopped coming home with different towels every few months, and I get to shave with the good towels every day.

In the 80's, my teen daughter came down with mono. Since then, hand towels are for decoration only and every one, including visitors, use the roll of paper towels we keep in each bathroom. It may seem wasteful to some, but it really reduces contagion.

For shaving I've been very happy with a few dozen cheapish tea towels from Amazon. I prefer the thinner almost linen like texture of these vs. face or hand towels. I go through at least one a day and when dirty launder them separately and can use ample bleach and steam to get them sanitized and spotless. I quickly run an iron over the clean towels then roll them for future use.

My wife recently purchased some really plush extra large white hand towels. I’ve been covertly separating them out from the average hand towels and stashing them under the sink for my exclusive use whilst shaving. Am I at the precipice of another rabbit hole? Let’s hear about the good towels.

Sir Ravenrock, first, Welcome to B&B!

However, I fear that you are inviting disaster!
Do not EVER undermine the SWMBO in the master bath!
That's HER territory!
And, for shaving, I've always found that thinner, purpose-made shaving towels are the best!
Whether steamed, dry or lightly rinsed.
They are easily sourced online from many vendors.
And, you will preserve good will with the wife!
Happy shaves!!

towels.jpg

Different but ok I’m in. I use amazon basic towels to rest my straight razor down between passes and to pat my face dry after. I use a blue shop rag to stretch my skin in my other hand. The blue shop rag gives great grip through soap and I use it to dry my razor afterward. Can say I’ve never bogarted the towels my friend. But to each their own

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig

That's HER territory!
And, for shaving, I've always found that thinner, purpose-made shaving towels are the best!
Happy shaves!!

View attachment 1133714
I knew joining Badger and Blade would be a good thing! Thank you for the sound advice, I will take it under advisement.

That's HER territory!
Happy shaves!!

View attachment 1133714

Great advice!! :a29:

Summary: Happy wife = happy life!!

(And I also prefer the thinner ‘barber’ towels.)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Am I at the precipice of another rabbit hole?

No.

You are on the precipice of a major disagreement when she figures that out. :yikes:

Over the years as various elder relatives have moved or Gone West, I've grabbed a large number of towels, washcloths, hand towels, etc. I keep a pile of them in the Shave Cave, and use them happily. My wife keeps matching nice towels in the bathroom that has the tub/shower in it.

The skin on my head doesn't need much stretching, but when I want to I just use the washcloth I have already wetted and folded by the sink. Otherwise I just use it to wipe off lather between passes to see how I'm doing.

Advice figured out in the last 25 years of living with my wife:

1. Put the towels back. Keep one.

2. After you've used that one, go give her a hug and tell her that you will give her cash to go buy you a stack of those. Offering to drive her into town and buy lunch to go with it may bring this plan over the line.

Either she's gonna take yer money and go get towels, or she's gonna say something like "Oh, just use them. When they wear out I'll get some more." Or, I guess, she might forbid you to use "her" towels in which case you can go get some for yourself and secretly chortle while you watch her try to sort out "hers" from "yours" when they come out of the dryer. (Not like I've done that...:001_rolle)

I kinda figure permission is better than either remorse or regret.

O.H.

Top Bottom