What's new

Ho, Ho, Ho: Christmas Soaps!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Life's about choices, and there are some great choices out there in terms of Christmas Shaving Soaps.

Here's what I have on deck:

B&M Dickens Revisited, Van Yulay's (Soap of the Gods) Gingerbread Cookie and B&M Vespers.

full

Mini-review and thoughts:

Dickens Revisited has a pretty strong cherry-lemon scent thing going on ... not what you may associate in your memory of Christmas. I know it's a cookie smell, but not one I've eaten. Fruitcake, maybe. Anyways. It DOES smell great, and I left the lid off a couple days to tone it down. Of course it works well, a bit thirsty soap.

The Van Yulay Gingerbread Cookie is amazing, both in scent and performance. Now we're talking Christmas smells ... and the lather was so thick it made me laugh. I needed that after a bad shave a couple days ago. Only downside; the container is small/half full. It IS marked 2 oz., no deception, just not the usual 4 oz. Maybe they figured you didn't need it to last for months! Gingerbread is pretty important in my holiday memories. Love this one.

B&M Vespers. Ahh, now THIS is Christmas. The balsam is great, cranberry is there and I hunt for the Mousse de Saxe, a faint leathery scent of note. I may get the B&M Lavanille one day, for more Mousse de Saxe.

OK. What are you shaving with this Christmas? There are a bunch of Christmas soaps out there!

AA

My holiday choices include:

B&M First Snow. I love this stuff and will mourn when I use it all. Simply delightful scent evocative of being outside in a snowy pine forest wearing a new leather jacket. If Will ever makes a run of it again or a fragrance I would buy immediately.

Stirling coniferous. The less sappy option versus shoving your face into a pine tree.

Stirling Christmas Eve.

B&M Eventide. Got it in a trade and have only used it once or twice. While I like it, I find it to be a strong scent and takes some getting used to. I could still smell the soap on my brush for several shaves with other products...

I'm expecting a sample of Vespers in my stocking...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Cant have Christmas without Captain's Choice North!

I like Stirling Frozen Tundra too. It reminds me of hunting in Janurary.

I like Stirling Frozen Tundra too. It reminds me of hunting in Janurary.

How could I forget North! Shaved with that yesterday, good stuff. A shame he discontinued it. I have a sample of Frozen Tundra but haven't tried it yet!

The Dickens soap looks and sounds delightful.

I like TOBS Sandalwood this time of year. To me it smells like being around an older sophisticated gentlemen in a kitchen full of Christmas spices. No sandalwood though, go figure ☺️

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My holiday choices include:

B&M First Snow. I love this stuff and will mourn when I use it all. Simply delightful scent evocative of being outside in a snowy pine forest wearing a new leather jacket. If Will ever makes a run of it again or a fragrance I would buy immediately.

Stirling coniferous. The less sappy option versus shoving your face into a pine tree.

Stirling Christmas Eve.

B&M Eventide. Got it in a trade and have only used it once or twice. While I like it, I find it to be a strong scent and takes some getting used to. I could still smell the soap on my brush for several shaves with other products...

I'm expecting a sample of Vespers in my stocking...

Hm, I forgot! Have a few piny Stirling choices ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Aftershave: I have the Vespers aftershave, but am improvising with the other two.

Bootleggers Bay Rum seems to go well with the Gingerbread Cookie, but something sweet is needed for the DR. Just used vintage Avon Bravo, but that's not easily found ...

For a pine scent, Pitrolon (German) fills the bill ...

AA

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member

I bought some of Captain’s Choice North when he closed it out. I have not tried it yet but I think that I will over the Christmas break. I did like the smell when it first arrived. I packed it away and forgot about it until @Ad Astra started this thread.

Top Bottom