What's new

Ho, Ho, Ho: Christmas Soaps!

After using a good chunk of a tub of Stirling Christmas Eve last year, I decided to try their other seasonal offerings this year (although still enjoying what I have left of Christmas eve).

Stirling Candy Cane- Phenomenal. It's not a straight up peppermint scent, as it has a chocolate vibe to it. It reminds me more of mint chocolate / perhaps hot chocolate with a candy cane mixed in. More of the peppermint scent comes out when lathering though. It just feels right this time of year. This will be a repeat purchase. When I initially scooped out a chunk to press into my bowl, I noticed it was white underneath the initial brown color, so I thought it was a layered soap but it's not. The white discolored into its regular brown color over night. This won't be just a seasonal soap for me. I'll totally dip into it throughout the year.

Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh- I couldn't help myself in this sample purchase. This one is a real oddity. I wrote about it in another thread and my initial feeling was "this should not exist". The scent opens up quite a bit after lathering though and I like it more than I thought I would. I wouldn't go straight into a full tub, so if you're curious get a sample. This scent does not conjure up any Christmas memories on my end however, but I'll certainly keep it in the seasonal rotation if they release it again next year if I end up killing the sample this month.

I got a tub of Frankincense & Myrrh because I know I like both constituents. I was a little disappointed that it seems to be pretty heavy on the frankincensce. I just ordered some myrrh essential oil, I think I'll do a double boiler and see if I can bump up the myrrh flavor a bit.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I Gingerbread Man. Yes, it is! Occasionally, and rarely, I come across a label that actually mirrors identically what I imagine as a fragrance seeing the label. From the same artisan, Rabid Banana is one. This is another. Not the cookie, but real, no mistake, absolutely true Nurnberg Lebkuchen. I was hungry the whole shave. Wonderful performance, again, stellar face-feel, delightful fragrance wafting around hours after the shave. A great holiday soap and AS. Add a little glühwein and you are in Walhalla. In Love's Labour's Lost, Costard was right when he said, "An' I had but one penny in the world, thou shouldst have it to buy gingerbread." Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!!

View attachment 1371915
🤔 I just heard Santa is bringing this...

AA

For December, Im rotating through -

Sterling Christmas Eve
Sterling Frankincense and Myrrh
Noble Otter Twas the Night Before
Mama Bear Christmas Forest
Tabula Rasa Dezember
B&M Dickens

Have Vespers on order.

Just used the Dickens today. Im generally not a sweet fragrance guy but there something about this scent I love. Like fruit punch or holiday fruit cake.

I picked up some of WSP’s Peppermint soap and AS. I was going to save it for Christmas morning, but what good is a seasonal scent if I don’t use it throughout the season?

I’m a pretty big fan of WSP’s Formula T, and I wish it got more love around here. I know it’s not as exciting as B&M’s complex scents, nor do they have the variety of Stirling, but it’s a damn fine soap and to me it deserves more attention.

After using a good chunk of a tub of Stirling Christmas Eve last year, I decided to try their other seasonal offerings this year (although still enjoying what I have left of Christmas eve).

Stirling Candy Cane- Phenomenal. It's not a straight up peppermint scent, as it has a chocolate vibe to it. It reminds me more of mint chocolate / perhaps hot chocolate with a candy cane mixed in. More of the peppermint scent comes out when lathering though. It just feels right this time of year. This will be a repeat purchase. When I initially scooped out a chunk to press into my bowl, I noticed it was white underneath the initial brown color, so I thought it was a layered soap but it's not. The white discolored into its regular brown color over night. This won't be just a seasonal soap for me. I'll totally dip into it throughout the year.

Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh- I couldn't help myself in this sample purchase. This one is a real oddity. I wrote about it in another thread and my initial feeling was "this should not exist". The scent opens up quite a bit after lathering though and I like it more than I thought I would. I wouldn't go straight into a full tub, so if you're curious get a sample. This scent does not conjure up any Christmas memories on my end however, but I'll certainly keep it in the seasonal rotation if they release it again next year if I end up killing the sample this month.

I was not considering the Cane until I read your review. It sounds perfect for this time of year! I was wondering if I was going to smell like a candy cane.

I did my first shave with B&M Amazelnut. I think Will describes this as the ultimate comfort and I would have to agree. It reminds me of that scratch and sniff scent in a book when you were a kid. Or, you could use Will's description of coffee and hazelnut (no real hazelnuts were used or harmed in the making of this fragrance).

I can see myself using this throughout the winter. Amazelnut is in the omnibus base.

For December, Im rotating through -

Sterling Christmas Eve
Sterling Frankincense and Myrrh
Noble Otter Twas the Night Before
Mama Bear Christmas Forest
Tabula Rasa Dezember
B&M Dickens

Have Vespers on order.

Just used the Dickens today. Im generally not a sweet fragrance guy but there something about this scent I love. Like fruit punch or holiday fruit cake.

I think B&M Dickens and Stirling Christmas Eve are my top two. Dickens just works for me. I find it straddles the line of gourmand without crossing it and I haven't come across anything else that captures what Christmas Eve does.

I had a NO Twas the Night Before set, but found it too perfumey for my sniffer.

I got a tub of Frankincense & Myrrh because I know I like both constituents. I was a little disappointed that it seems to be pretty heavy on the frankincensce. I just ordered some myrrh essential oil, I think I'll do a double boiler and see if I can bump up the myrrh flavor a bit.

I had a Stirling Frankincense and Myrrh set and to my nose found that Blackship Grooming We Three Kings balances the frankincense and myrrh better.

With regards to Stirling F&M, I put a drop of myrrh essential oil in my bowl today before loading up the brush and lathering. It really balanced the fragrance to my tastes. Not sure if I'll bother milling the soap down to add myrrh or not, as this was pretty simple.

Bad Santa. Yes he is! In a good way. :001_tongu Virginia burley, whiskey, smokey drydown. Almost a Roam-lite, but light enough not to set off fire alarms, stampede the herd and wrinkle spouse noses, a la the classic B&M Roam. Outstanding MacDuff performance, silky and slick as expected, with a soothing non-alcohol AS. Not actually a holiday scent (unless you spend Christmas in the backwoods cabin playing poker with the boys, smoking cigars and drinking shots of Canadian Club, which is not totally a bad idea all things considered!), but I actually like it. Guess I'm on the naughty list. Again.... :closedeye

20211207_115758[6058].jpg

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Does anybody know/could rec of a straight eggnog shave soap? Not with bay rum or mixes, just egg nog? Please and thank you

linty1

My wallet cries.
Does anybody know/could rec of a straight eggnog shave soap? Not with bay rum or mixes, just egg nog? Please and thank you
Self reply, but I decided to go with this:

They seem to have some nice other scents, but I'll try the one first and go from there.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lump Of Coal. Two words - love it! :001_tt1: Slightly softer than other PAA offerings I've used (although not a full croap), it requires a softer touch loading. Speaking of loading, this is not one you'll want to be haphazardly flinging around your bathroom - :santa: "Oh by gosh, by golly, ac-ti-va-ted char-coal in-stead of holly." 🎶 It's probably the slickest soap I've used - still CK-6, but this one seems slippery-er (a word?) than anything else out there (maybe rivaled by B&M's new Omnibus base). A great performing soap by any standards though, and one I could use outside the holidays in the rotation. Fragrance-wise, a winner for me. There is a lump of coal - but waaaay back in the back. Enough to let you know that even though you were naughty, you have time to make it up before Christmas. Barely. :001_tongu Similar in tone, but nothing near the intensity of CFG's Midnight Stag (Midnight Stag is a Hoppe's #9/Ballistol, burning-heap-of-tires industrial waste coal-tar fragrance). You could wear Midnight Stag on the welding floor, or dropping the tyranny on your '57 Chevy in your garage. Or cleaning your blackpowder musket. Not so LOC. Difficult to describe, but a fresh, cool, "clean" scent, almost but not-quite-mint, slightly woodsy, slightly barber shop-ey, slightly fougere. With, of course, a lump of coal waiting in the wings if you don't behave. Definitely holiday-appropriate, but I can see this as a Spring opener. In the stable as a regular.

View attachment 1371229

Lump of Coal aftershave and the Gingerbread set arrived this morning - holiday impulse purchases! :a13:

But LoC aftershave is amazing! Yes, it says peppermint (little) and cucumber (maybe) but there's something else in there that smells absolutely great! Holly berry? Like a wreath, maybe. Use throughout the year.

I'd previously gotten the LoC Cube and it has little to no scent. Does make cool gray lather!

The PAA Cubes are hit or miss, scentwise. They're either loaded (Blue Samhain) or almost scentless like LoC.

AA

Last edited:
Cane. Yes, it is! Gramma's candy dish cane, hanging on the Christmas tree cane, in front of the gingerbread house cane, in your cup of hot chocolate cane. With maybe a hint of spearmint as well. I'll confess I'm not a rabid fan of menthol, although I have some of CFG's original run of Cryogen. Cryogen is cool. Bearded hippie cool. And dark side of Pluto cool. Heart of the Coalsack Nebula cool. Cool. Cane is bearded hippie cool too, but a cold lemonade under the palms cool. If Cryogen is 100 on the 1 - 10 Chill Scale (and it is! :001_tongu), Cane is a "1." With the AS maybe a 2 or 3. Cryogen will knock you out. Cane will wake you up. It is a non-venomous menthol. If you are a menthol junkie, this may not be your fix, but neither will you OD. My spouse is not big a peppermint fan, and her first reaction was "What's THAT!!?" (followed by “Hey, not bad!” on drydown). So it's the real stuff! Recommended for your minty Christmas memories!

20211215_123156[6145].jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Cane. Yes, it is! Gramma's candy dish cane, hanging on the Christmas tree cane, in front of the gingerbread house cane, in your cup of hot chocolate cane. With maybe a hint of spearmint as well. I'll confess I'm not a rabid fan of menthol, although I have some of CFG's original run of Cryogen. Cryogen is cool. Bearded hippie cool. And dark side of Pluto cool. Heart of the Coalsack Nebula cool. Cool. Cane is bearded hippie cool too, but a cold lemonade under the palms cool. If Cryogen is 100 on the 1 - 10 Chill Scale (and it is! :001_tongu), Cane is a "1." With the AS maybe a 2 or 3. Cryogen will knock you out. Cane will wake you up. It is a non-venomous menthol. If you are a menthol junkie, this may not be your fix, but neither will you OD. My spouse is not big a peppermint fan, and her first reaction was "What's THAT!!?" (followed by “Hey, not bad!” on drydown). So it's the real stuff! Recommended for your minty Christmas memories!

View attachment 1378735

Agree 2x! I'm not a menthol fan either, but I've used a significant amount in the bottle already!

Cane goes with everything, and layers with many things very well. Gingerbread - peppermint. Fougere - peppermint.

Candy, no. Rumpleminz schnapps memories come flooding back, but this isn't sticky or boozy.

AA

Agree 2x! I'm not a menthol fan either, but I've used a significant amount in the bottle already!

Cane goes with everything, and layers with many things very well. Gingerbread - peppermint. Fougere - peppermint.

Candy, no. Rumpleminz schnapps memories come flooding back, but this isn't sticky or boozy.

AA
+1 on the Rumple Minze! :001_tongu

From the day after Thanksgiving through Christmas, these two are in my rotation:

Mystic Water Poggio dei Pini (rich, mellow pine)
Mystic Water Frankincense and Myrrh

Also a sleeper, and only occasionally, since I don't use mentholated soaps, PAA Diver Down (mideast notes -- Jerusalem pine, myrrh, spikenard, cinnamon, rum...).

Reading all the great posts, looks like I'm going to be ordering Stirling Christmas Eve and B&M Vespers. Thanks OP, great thread!

Last edited:
Oscar The Red-Nosed Otter! Seldom mentioned in the poems, but he's right there behind Rudolph, urging him on. Very nice NO performance, with an early take on Christmas fragrance a little like Christmas Eve dinner! Peppercorns, some balsam and - maybe - mistletoe (fougere) and rosemary, with a wee bit of frankincense and myrrh in the back. Not a piney or fruity or spicy Christmas fragrance, but more solid, if that makes sense. It really is the more subdued, warm mittens, Christmas carols, waiting for Santa night before, and not the bright, sparkly, snowy Christmas morning fir tree. I like it. A lot!

20211222_161313.jpg

Last edited:
SantasWorkshop.jpg

This showed up to day and just in time. Had to do a test palm lather with a 15 second load from the tub. I made a handful of dense, creamy lather. Very light scent and not at all Christmasy. Kind of in the same vain as B&M Dickens Revisited and easily a year round soap. While Cooper & French offered free shipping on a single tub, I also purchased their Sandalwood & Amber soap to help justify shipping on their end.

Top Bottom