What's new

Hms123 Member Interview

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Meet Member Hms123

135782.jpg

@Hms123 has been a member of B&B since Jun 26, 2021

01. How did you find Badger and Blade and why did you become a member?

In March, 2020, because of COVID, I decided to try wet shaving. Like many others, I searched the web for advice and ended up realizing that B&B was really special. I lurked for a while until I read a thread by @DEPenguin. Here was my first post: The Nine Reason PIF - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-nine-reason-pif.609706/page-3#post-11327202

02. When you did or if you are working, in general what did or do you do?

I was a professor at a major, research-intensive university for 43 years. In addition to teaching statistics, I had a number of administrative responsibilities in my Department as well as in the University more broadly. I retired almost ten years ago.

03. What part of the country where you were born do you like the most?

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel extensively in the US. It is hard to pick a favorite, but Maine (and New England) and Santa Fe, NM, are at the top of our list. Both Northern California and the Oregon Coast are also way up there.

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Outside of the US, Scandinavia (probably Stockholm), but maybe Lisbon or Barcelona.

05. Do you have any hobbies or pastimes?

I have always had hobbies that I took a too seriously: chess, photography, martial arts, and now duplicate bridge.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

We had just been in Healdsburg, CA, on vacation. I took that picture at a music event on the square. I liked the photo and thought it would be perfect for B&B.

07. If you could choose any person in the world, now or from the past, who would you like to sit down and have a drink with?

President Eisenhower. He was a bridge player who had a pretty interesting non-bridge career.

08. What is something you'd like to do, but have not had the opportunity to do it?

I would like to go the the Galápagos Islands.

09. What is one thing or accomplishment in your life that you are proud of?

Having been married to a wonderful woman for 53 years.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer to people in general?

Let your friends be your friends.

11. If you could have any super hero power, what would you choose?

No idea.

12. If you had to choose to be a kind of animal, what would you want to be?

I always was fascinated by cheetahs because of how fast they were.

13. What kind of music do you like?

Almost everything. Jazz, rock, blues, reggae, classical, opera, masses, country.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would you like to be?

James Bond, of course.

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the Title of that book be?

What the hell were you thinking?

Last edited:
Thanks for those great insights @Hms123!

Very much agree on President Eisenhower. He had remarkable personal management skills and a terrific ability to deal successfully with huge egos and difficult characters. Having to manage Montgomery and Patton must have been something, not to mention keeping Churchill and FDR on side. His contribution to Allied victory is perhaps still undervalued.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You have no idea how close I was to listing you instead of that 007 guy. True story doggonit.
Well, I do like being shaken and not stirred!

I am in the minority I think, in that I would stay up late to watch Roger Moore be Bond, James Bond anytime. He played Bond so "campy" and laughed at himself so well. And I was probably hitting pooberty at about the time ABC was showing Bond movies every Sunday night.... And who could ever forget Jane Seymour?

The 70's weren't all bad. What movies and music my generation had! And all we had to worry about was nuclear annihilation!

So are you 007 gentlemen equal fans of the Gillette Slim, or does it at least hold a place in your den in homage?

Great interview! I'm not a math guy, but I think my statistics and statistical analysis courses I took in undergrad were some of the more important ones I had.

So are you 007 gentlemen equal fans of the Gillette Slim, or does it at least hold a place in your den in homage?

Great interview! I'm not a math guy, but I think my statistics and statistical analysis courses I took in undergrad were some of the more important ones I had.
Never tried the Gillette Slim. I agree about the importance of statistical thinking…the world is a math problem.

Top Bottom