What's new

HJM German shaving soap

My wife brought me back an odd little shaving soap from a trip to Germany. It's HJM Rasierseife. I was a little suspicious, the scent is a bit like a deodorant. However the feeling on my skin is great, nice and thick lather. It gives me a nice smooth shave.
The other thing I like about it comes in a small packet, it's only 2.3 ounces, which I think I can bring onto an airplane in my carry on bag. I have had the TSA try to confiscate a vintage puck of Old Spice (how dare they).

proxy.php

The soap is available at Amazon Germany.
http://www.amazon.de/Rasierseife-von-hjm-in-Schraubdose/dp/B002TLUUSA

That ingredient list is similar to Muhle Aloe Vera Shave Soap. Here is the ingredient list for Muhle Aloe Vera Shave Soap

Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua, Palm Kernel Acid, Capryl/Capramdopropyl Betain, Parfum, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Limonene, Geraniol, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate

I would not be surprised if it was made by the same company. I think HJM and Muhle brushes are the same too (the cheaper ones anyway).

Last edited:
Muhle, Edwin Jagger and HJM shave soaps are basically the same thing.
Good stuff. I think I remember reading somewhere that they're made by Haslinger but I'm getting old and brain cells are dying every day.:tongue_sm

I carried on a stick of Irish Moos on my last trip and didn't have a problem. I thought that rule only applied to liquids.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Haslinger is Austrian, not German. Mine is also tallow, so I'm thinking HJM is not made by them.

Muhle, Edwin Jagger and HJM shave soaps are basically the same thing.
Good stuff. ...

They are pretty close, but I'm not sure they are exactly the same. I have that same plastic container with Aloe Vera, and it seems just a bit different. I think perhaps they don't mill the HJM soaps as much, because both the EJ Sandalwood and the Sea Buckthorn that I have are harder and have a little bit darker appearance.

Top Bottom