What's new

Hitting The Gym And Need Athletic Support.But Not A Fan.

Gents, first of all let me say I have knocked about twenty pounds off my frame in the last month and half or so. I simply cut way back on meal size, leave the high fat foods alone on most occasions, limit snacking, and most importantly, tried not to worry about it too much. I started doing this in late July and my wife started noticing it in about two weeks. Yesterday she told me she could really notice it. I weighed myself for the first time in a long time as was somewhere between 18-20 pounds lighter. I can tell you it makes a world of difference in mobility. Okay, got that part under control.

My wifey and I have also joined a gym and I am attending regularly. It has quickly become apparent I need an athletic supporter and I don't mean a cheerleader.

It is a bit embarrassing to even ask about such things and a trip to two or three stores yielded some very weird looks from the clerks. And yes, I will admit to being a bit old fashioned and only asked the men about it. I just cannot ask a female about such things. Not in a store. Good thing too since they all essentially acted like they had no clue what I was asking for. Oh they got what I meant, they just didn't get what it was so to speak. It seems most guys are using some sort of support underwear these days.

A bit of online searching yields many but most of them seem hell bent on including a plastic cup of some sort and this is not needed for non-contact stuff like workouts. I am afraid if you remove the cup the rest of the garment may not work quite as intended. So with that out of the way, are any of you using any sort of support for gym workouts? If so, what brand and where do you buy? Amazon seems a good choice. Big selection and good prices but the reviews are all over the place on nearly every model. Sorry to ask such a question but I am about thirty five years out of the loop on this one.

Companies like Under Armour make athletic underwear that has a bit more support. Some, like the ones for football, have a pouch to hold a cup but you just skip putting the plastic cup in and you have all of the support without the discomfort.

You'll find what you need at your local Sporting Goods store.

+1 for compression shorts. I enjoyed working out in them so much I replaced all of my underwear with synthetics.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've participated in all the athletic supporter sports in the past. Your working out in the gym needs no jock strap....unless you're doing a bunch of squat-thrusts or trampoline. The Underarmour underware is plenty. They lend a fair amount of support and wicking action for sweat.

Thank you gents. Looks like it may be settled as to devise. I particularly like the idea that the support undergarments have the wicking function.

I still say go with a jock strap. They're cheaper than compression shorts. Just do a google search. I think I bought 4 Bike (the brand name) last spring on Amazon for $24.

Congratulations on starting an exercise program!

IMO you do not need a protective supporter unless you participate in a sport like baseball or boxing. Supportive underwear from a company like underarmour or jockey works fine for me!

What makes you believe you need to wear a supporter of any sort? Holy dangerous question :lol: I've been training for years, including Olympic lifting and I've never tagged myself. Unless you're extremely well endowed or into contact sports UA Heat Gear compression shorts or any companies version will be enough.

What makes you believe you need to wear a supporter of any sort? Holy dangerous question :lol: I've been training for years, including Olympic lifting and I've never tagged myself. Unless you're extremely well endowed or into contact sports UA Heat Gear compression shorts or any companies version will be enough.

I replied a few posts ago that the suggested devise(compression shorts) would be the likely way to go.

"....has quickly become apparent I need an athletic supporter and I don't mean a cheerleader...."

Lets not sell cheerleaders short.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom