What's new

history of proraso

As someone who regulary pays a penalty when shaving against the grain, especially on my neck, I will echo the advice given by others-- stop shaving against the grain, and try 2 passes, one with the grain and one across. Lather up for each pass and don't keep going over the same spot without lather (buffing.) I find Proraso pre-post cream helps me. Good Luck!

W

What would be better than proraso for sensitive skin when shaving atg???? Rsvp

Proraso is a fine product, I have many tubes of it. But like I was explaining to someone the other day, it's for Italian professional barbers, and they generally use a very wet sudsy lather to shave with because it is fast and easy to remove with damp steamed towels. For more cushion and slip I would try proraso pre-shave.

In Turkey, they traditionally are allowed to rinse your face with water, so their professional shave soaps are going to be conducive to a really thick creamy lather.
I like arko, it's got a really thick cushiony lather. It gets almost too protective sometimes, I need to water it down quite a bit to let the blade through. I usually do wtg and across, but I've been doing more Against the grain with the Arko.

Another product I use a lot of is called Kiss My Face, and KMF soaps are very thick and slick and almost a bit slimy. But very very slippery. Should be available at most grocery stores. I like the one with shea butter.

Speaking of which shea butter or coconut oil, pre-shave oil of some kind is a great way to add some slip to your shave and reduce irritation.

Truth is I am too scared to even try against the grain....I am a cautious shaver or in other words, I have never cut myself shaving.
I always go WTG and XTG. I find shaving my neck to be a wide eyed experience each and every time.

Why shave against the grain at all if you have sensitive skin? I do two with the grain passes on my neck (which is my most sensitive area) and go across the grain everywhere else.

I have sensitive skin and do 1-2 passes WTG, maybe XTG, and then, if I feel the need, do light touch ups with a Braun shaver that's kept well-oiled. It's not the closest shave but my skin feels alot better than going ATG with a blade.

Proraso makes a white shaving cream designed for sensitive skin, but personally I think there are cheaper products out there, like Nivea, that work as good if not better. It really depends on where you live, though.

Proraso is a fine product, I have many tubes of it. But like I was explaining to someone the other day, it's for Italian professional barbers, and they generally use a very wet sudsy lather to shave with because it is fast and easy to remove with damp steamed towels. For more cushion and slip I would try proraso pre-shave.

In Turkey, they traditionally are allowed to rinse your face with water, so their professional shave soaps are going to be conducive to a really thick creamy lather.
I like arko, it's got a really thick cushiony lather. It gets almost too protective sometimes, I need to water it down quite a bit to let the blade through. I usually do wtg and across, but I've been doing more Against the grain with the Arko.

Another product I use a lot of is called Kiss My Face, and KMF soaps are very thick and slick and almost a bit slimy. But very very slippery. Should be available at most grocery stores. I like the one with shea butter.

Speaking of which shea butter or coconut oil, pre-shave oil of some kind is a great way to add some slip to your shave and reduce irritation.

KMF is an excellent value as far as shave creams go. I wouldn't trust it to last years in a rotation (no chemical preservatives), but if that's all you are shaving with, that shouldn't be an issue.

Don,

Before you spend any money on a product that may or may not work, I suggest you try a few cold water shaves. You might be surprised!

BTW cold water does not mean "ice cube water." It means neutral or cool water that comes out of the cold water tap.
but what if i took a hot shower during the winter time? rsvp

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What would be better than proraso for sensitive skin when shaving atg????

Its less about the soap and more about the razor, blade and technique. I can and do shave directly ATG, first pass even, anywhere from 44 to 100 hours growth with virtually any soap, Dawn dish soap included.

I also have coarse dense growth and fairly sensitive skin.

A soap thats better for your skin and makes it more supple while being very slick does help but far more important is the razor, blade and technique.

Most problems associated with shaving ATG might very well be from an unsuitable razor design which lacks blade rigidity, and/or technique.

what bricks and mortar stores sell kiss my face shaving cream? would they have been selling this cream back in early 2000???? rsvp

between proraso and truefitt and hill i believe which one is better for sensitive skin when shaving against the grain? rsvp.

but what if i took a hot shower during the winter time? rsvp

Don, that is irrelevant. After your hot shower, splash some cold water on your face and proceed with your cold water shave. Let's don't make life (and shaving) more complicated that it needs to be.

No one claims a cold water shave will be as pleasant as a warm water shave. But what is claimed by many shavers is a cold water shave is more close, and with less chance of irritation and cuts. It also wakes a person up without the caffeine. :eek2:

Its less about the soap and more about the razor, blade and technique. I can and do shave directly ATG, first pass even, anywhere from 44 to 100 hours growth with virtually any soap, Dawn dish soap included.

A soap thats better for your skin and makes it more supple while being very slick does help but far more important is the razor, blade and technique.

Most problems associated with shaving ATG might very well be from an unsuitable razor design which lacks blade rigidity, and/or technique.
well, i prefer to use multiblade razors because they give a closer shave.......... rsvp

well i prefer multiblade razors because of the closeness........ rsvp

Don, that is irrelevant. After your hot shower, splash some cold water on your face and proceed with your cold water shave. Let's don't make life (and shaving) more complicated that it needs to be.

No one claims a cold water shave will be as pleasant as a warm water shave. But what is claimed by many shavers is a cold water shave is more close, and with less chance of irritation and cuts. It also wakes a person up without the caffeine. :eek2:
if after taking a hot shower i want to use a hot towel but then cold water???? rsvp

Top Bottom