What's new

History of Firearm Lubricants

I certainly have Stalingrad K98s keeping company with the Mosins that put them in the snow.

Japanese bayonets will surely cause some contemplation as well. An M1 is watching those! :kyle1:

But they are only wood and steel, shaped by the folly of man. My small meteorite collection is more worthy of deep thoughts; at 4.6 billion years old, the most aged objects for many miles. Wish I had a meteor-iron firearm! Or at least, a razor ...

AA

Being totally serious - this is one of the best worded short posts Ive seen on any forum in sometime.

Pretty rare to read good writing these days, especially in the instant world of the internet, but its just something I appreciate.

You are quite the wordsmith. Kudos.

I dislike pulling threads out of the crypt, but....

20231108_102737.jpg

20231108_102844.jpg

Cherrybalmz finally came through on the order I placed; including a few extras. Just a public service announcement on behalf of the company.

Back in 1700’s the people used Sweet Oil, aka Olive Oil.

Or rendered Fat from game they killed for food.

Many firearms in collection today are victim of corrosion caused by Black Power residue. Real Black Powder is very corrosive.

And speaking of @OkieStubble, Glocks & lubrication, this:

Observations from Last Weekend’s Extreme Close Quarters Shooting Class

3) Glocks will function when dry, but they won’t function when dry AND you have a poor grip. I had one student who was fighting her Glock 19 for the entire class. She ended up having one of the most unique malfunctions I have ever seen. Check out the picture below:
Empty ejected case flipped over and stuck in the chamber case head first
Empty, ejected case flipped over and stuck in the chamber case head first

Her gun was bone dry. It still functioned fine when she shot at full extension, but when she shot with a weak one handed grip from retention, it would malfunction on almost every round fired. When she shot my (properly lubricated) Glock 19 from retention she didn’t have any problems. It seemed to be the perfect storm combination of weak grip and an unlubricated gun that caused all her malfunctions. Lube your guns and work on your grip strength!
https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Glock-malfunction.jpg
Article Link:
Doesn't happen w 40sw....

Other then putting a dab of gun grease on the bolt lug on my Remington 870 Police, I have just been lubricating pistol’s and rifle’s mostly with CLP all these years.

My only concern or thought or question would be, about grease on a carry pistol? Especially in colder weather?

Would the grease on a carry gun harden with the cold or thicken on cold steel parts when being carried but not in use? Wouldn’t want a cold greased pistol and then suddenly need it to heat up and work reliably?
Here in my area of E. Texas , basicaly the Tyler area, it rarely gets cold enough to worry about. Even then from my point of view, a carry pistol will be under my outer layers of clothing and be kept warm enough by body heat.

Unfortunately when I click on the link, it doesn't take me to the the information referenced in the OP. However speaking from my experience with lubricants, I use mobil 1 as a lubricant and high temp bearing grease (red) with white lithium grease mixed together as a grease for rails, shiny spots, etc. I haven't ever experienced a failure to date with these combinations. The grease works exceptional well on my Thompson's bolt. JMO as it works for me.

Unfortunately when I click on the link, it doesn't take me to the the information referenced in the OP. However speaking from my experience with lubricants, I use mobil 1 as a lubricant and high temp bearing grease (red) with white lithium grease mixed together as a grease for rails, shiny spots, etc. I haven't ever experienced a failure to date with these combinations. The grease works exceptional well on my Thompson's bolt. JMO as it works for me.
Sounds like a good combo to me. I use one of the heavier grades of Mobil 1 for oil, and Superlube grease, Get it in big tubes for my grease gun. It's synthetic, and is a somewhat clear/cloudy looking grease. Been using it as a bearing greases for the blade spindles on my Scag lawn mower for 17 years now and no problems.

Use of greaseon AR, 1911 and Glock as per OKS request:

AR- Generous application of grease on bolt, bit of the excess on charging handle.

1911- finger swipe of grease on barrel bushing, finger swipe around entire barrel itself in front of chamber, generous dabs on rails. excess on top of chamber at ejection port

Glock- finger swipe around entire barrel itself in front of chamber, generous dabs on rails, small dab on connector, excess from rail on top of chamber at ejection port.

FWIW, I would "oil" in the same places if I was not using grease

Edited to add: My carry gun is nearly always AIWB and my outside in cold temps is limited so "hardening" of grease has never been a concern. While I have trained in bad weather re cold (windy/wet 20s), my greasy carbine/pistol functioned well.

If I was outside regularly in cold weather (sub freezing) I might rethink grease v. oil after consulting with my smarters/betters on the issue.
As above, but living in a coastal area with really fine, wind-blown sand, I stay on the rails, barrel hood/slide interface, barrel ring in the slide(very light) and striker/connector.

Top Bottom