What's new

Historic Brands - Aftershave Aged in Oak Barrels

Hey Folks! Over the weekend, I was perusing the shaving world, and I came across an aftershave line, new to me, from Historic Brands. An in-house line created by Historic Barber Supply, based out of Canada. Meet North America's First Oak Aged Aftershave | Backed by Barbers - https://www.historicandoak.com/

If anyone has experience with any of the aftershaves, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

They offer four aftershaves, all "aged in oak barrels." Sounds good to me!
  1. Georgian Bay Rum
  2. Embargo Blend No. 2.5
  3. Italian Soda
  4. Cerf Rouge
Have a great week!

High praise my friend! How are you? Still enabling potential Arkoholics like me?
Hiya @FarmerTan !
I'm well thank you. I hope you and your loved ones are well, too.
Yes, occasionally members on this site still get sniped with a stick of Arko.
But it's done with love. Yeah...love.
I hope Spring has arrived in your neck of the woods. We're getting 5-to-10 cm (2-to-4 inches) of snow over the next 24 hours.
Stay well!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hiya @FarmerTan !
I'm well thank you. I hope you and your loved ones are well, too.
Yes, occasionally members on this site still get sniped with a stick of Arko.
But it's done with love. Yeah...love.
I hope Spring has arrived in your neck of the woods. We're getting 5-to-10 cm (2-to-4 inches) of snow over the next 24 hours.
Stay well!
You stay well as well my friend. And we had a "ground covering and beautiful white snow on my pines" type of precipitation today. But as my Dad used to say, "it ALWAYS warms up sometime in June!"

But truly, you are the true "Spirit of Arko" that makes Arkoland the great Kountry of my Dreams friend. I am but an ambassador of affordable shave stickdom, you are the heart!

It's been a minute or two since I posted about Historic Brands. I've had a chance to use all four aftershaves, and I've listed them in order starting with my favorite.

Embargo Blend is an excellent woody blend with smooth characteristics from cognac and tobacco. The scent notes I pick up the most are from the aged oak barrels, which I think is well done. The potency isn't over the top, but it lasts all day, basically just right. The face feel with all four is similar, with no sticky residue, and absorbs pretty quickly. These are all menthol free, but that can easily be altered if one wishes to do so.

Cerf Rouge is a lighter take on Embargo and overall pleasant, but I wish it had more black cherry. I couldn't pick much up from my sample, but it was nicely blended, and the woody, oak barrel notes were toned down.

Georgian Bay Rum is nice. A mild, somewhat spicy, slightly piney scent. Inoffensive, as mio_cuggino referred to in an earlier post.

Italian Soda is their take on a vanilla and tobacco blend. It comes off sweet, but I'm not a massive fan of sweet scents, so I'm super sensitive. Like Embargo, it has staying power and lasts all day.

Overall, these are easy-to-wear scents, in my opinion, and it's nice they offer the sample pack. I'll be picking up a bottle of Embargo when my sample is gone.
  1. Embargo Blend No. 2.5
  2. Cerf Rouge
  3. Georgian Bay Rum
  4. Italian Soda

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thank you for the reviews, friend @raygsoko !

All of them sound werthy of a sample, though I'm leaning towards the Embargo and your least favorite as ones that I think I'd most like to sample.

Good job, Dave, the Tanned Farmer

Thank you for the reviews, friend @raygsoko !

All of them sound werthy of a sample, though I'm leaning towards the Embargo and your least favorite as ones that I think I'd most like to sample.

Good job, Dave, the Tanned Farmer
Why, thank you, kind Dave the Tanned Farmer!

I'm not one to deep dive into the note breakdown, but hopefully, it was enough to paint a picture of each aftershave. I know how it is when you're interested in a brand/product, and there aren't many reviews—especially the newer ones.

I'd like to hear your thoughts when you get around to acquiring a sample or two after the crops are tended to, of course. :wink2:

Top Bottom