What's new

HIRAM razor, rebirth of the Cobra Classic

Thanks for your review, Gus. I've been looking at both of these razors and developing a slight case of FOMO as I'm gearing up for the 2020 sabbatical. I recently picked up a Cobra Classic and I think I'll stick with that and my General for next year.

You’re welcome my friend. Bob, you’re not missing much. The 2 that you stated having will give you exactly what you need. You won’t be missing much. The Hiram is a slight improvement over the previous Occam’s releases and the Enoch is meant for those that have never experienced a shave with a Cobra Classic. The Enoch is the more efficient shaver of the two...

Happy shaves & 2020!!! :a17:

I read through a good amount of forum feedback before deciding. In the end it was clear that the Enoch gets more love, but the Hiram is respectable, and it looks so cool!

I had a Cobra Classic from back in the day. Loved the look, hated the shave. Way too aggressive.

I took a gamble on the Hiram due to the reduced introductory price, and I was expecting to hate the shave once again. I was more than pleasantly surprized. There are few razors that shave me as well as this does. It outperforms all other AC style Single Edge razors I have ever owned or used. The floating blade design really does a lot to improve the efficiency of the blade. I never would have believed it if I hadn't experienced it myself.

I highly recommend this razor!

I have had a number of Shaves with the Hiram, including a couple with the Iffy No 2 plate supplied. Since then have had good Shaves with a No2 plate borrowed from my Oren. All these from a seated position as I have a broken leg.
I have the Razor now fitted with a more aggressive No3 plate & Proguard blade, and the Shaves get better. Yesterday my first standing one was a bit rushed , so the finish was poor around the neck.

Today again standing I made sure I did not rush. The Shave was smooth and comfortable, and the finished Shave was one of the best I have had from any type of Razor. With a Proguard being so forgiving there seems no likelihood of mishap, and no post shave problems arise. I have no problems using it as a Daily Razor.

For me this is a much better Razor than a King Cobra, which I sold on to buy this and the Enoch.Worth getting? yes but check prices to find a discounted price.

The Cobra Classic is a fine looking razor, well designed, good balance and shreds my face. I have tried all blades available I wanted it to work for me so badly. It is now just gathering dust on my shelf together with other far too aggressive razors I've bought such as the Tradere, Slant (Merkur and Ikon), ad infinitum. Thank goodness (for me) I found the Weber DLC, Pils, Futur and OneBlade razors over the past several years. When one says BBS to me that refers to my face skin, not quality of the shave!

Hiram and Cobra have completely different heads, the Cobra shaves much more accurately and aggressively compared to 2 plates. The handles are similar, but the grip is different.

Hiram Commander 3 dot plate with a Schick Proline. A very nice shave with one of the more intriguing designs to ever come out of Classic Shaving & its creator, Luke Webster. We know the handle is inspired by the legendary Classic Cobra merged with an Occam’s head & plate design. Weird? Most definitely but, that’s in a way the beauty of this razor. I can see how one can say that it was an afterthought of design in a laboratory experiment that kind of went wrong yet, the result of those two concepts and designs actually produced a very capable razor. The floating blade design still works as intended in the Hiram giving a comfortable yet highly efficient feeling shave. I’ve used all the plate options and have had excellent results with 2 out of the 3 used as the 1 dot was just a bit too mild for my own use. A Schick Proline with a 2 dot is as smooth a shaver out there. Very easy on the skin and can easily be a daily shaver. With the 3 dot it ups the shaving prowess ever so slightly with a bit more cutting performance that is still very comfortable and easy on the skin. However, with a Feather Pro Super in either 2 or 3 dot options turns it up in more blade feel and superb cutting ability that the Schick Proline just can’t match. The Super now works brilliantly especially with more hair growth as less passes are required to achieve a magnificent BBS finish. Downside is more blade feel and just a touch of loss in smoothness & comfort but, for a shave veteran that enjoys blade feel, it’s a trade-off or compromise that one is ready to accept. Can it draw blood? Of course but, no where near what the original Classic Cobra can do in a lapse of concentration or slip up with a Super installed. The Cobra will not forgive if you get crossed up or wander in thought while shaving. It will bite and at times bite viciously if the mind and technique are not in the shave game frame.

The Hiram is not a duplicate of the Cobra but, it has enough on the performance side to get you close enough while being a more easier, comfortable and nearly quite as distinct in looks as the Original Classic. It might take a bit getting used too with its obnoxiously large and heavy handle plus the floating blade design can be slightly disconcerting to some as most shavers hear some rattling and think there is a defect in a razor but, with minimal patience and a willingness to think out of the box from traditionalist thinking (rigid is better theory in which I’m a firm believer as well), this tool shaves exceptionally well and makes no excuses about it. Solid shaver that works as the designer intended it to do.

Great shaves to all….

0E060495-1D5E-4DD4-AABE-E43DBF26A79F.jpeg

Just an unbelievably good shave with the Hiram SE. Again with a 3 dot plate and a Schick Proline blade on its 3rd use. Remarkably smooth and yet so efficient while being extraordinarily easy on the skin. Believe me, it’s not a Cobra in shave feel or in pure whisker cutting performance. But, arguably it’s a sort of better version of it in that it is easier to wield and is much easier on the skin while still giving Cobra like results from that iconic and I say it without mincing my words, a legendary classic. The Hiram is big, bulky and almost more of a novelty looking razor than a sleek & mean cutting machine. Yet it cuts exceptionally well and leaves no doubt that it’s a premier performing SE razor. Might not have the looks but, it more than makes up for it in overall shave performance.

281AC50E-0818-4894-935A-1DC879D38D62.jpeg

Top Bottom