What's new

HIRAM razor, rebirth of the Cobra Classic

It looks like Classic Shaving is trying to bring back the Cobra. It is a nice looking razor. You can buy the Hiram by Occam now at their site for only $99.00. I am tempted. It is a very nice looking razor.

Cobra.jpg

No it's not. That holds the guard on. I have the Occam's and the Cobra. The screws secure the guard with the level of efficiency you want. The blade slides in and pops into place with tension and two small tabs. It's an AC blade. FWIW they are both great and shave nothing alike. They are both smooth and efficient, but the face feel is completely different. This is the Occam's head on the Cobra Classic Handle.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
No it's not. That holds the guard on. I have the Occam's and the Cobra. The screws secure the guard with the level of efficiency you want. The blade slides in and pops into place with tension and two small tabs. It's an AC blade. FWIW they are both great and shave nothing alike. They are both smooth and efficient, but the face feel is completely different. This is the Occam's head on the Cobra Classic Handle.
Good to know. In that case I will pass. The OREN was awful for me. Couldn't even get me up to DFS.

I think the Cobra would be worth a try for anyone who has not tried it. The Classic Cobra started the whole artist club type razor thing. It was a very good razor. A bit on the aggressive side for me.

Last edited:
I think the Cobra would be worth a try for anyone who has not tried it. The Classic Cobra started the whole artist club type razor thing. It was a very good razor. A bit on the aggressive side for me.
I picked up a Cobra Classic recently and like it. It's aggressive, but I've actually had my best shaves with a Pro Super blade.

I'd recommend trying one if you have access, but they're pretty hard to find and expensive when you do. I'll keep mine for a while I think, but in all honesty I think that I get a better shave from the General v.2.

I've not tried any of the Classic Shaving models, but have been tempted by the Hiram. Perhaps it's worth a try.

No it's not. That holds the guard on. I have the Occam's and the Cobra. The screws secure the guard with the level of efficiency you want. The blade slides in and pops into place with tension and two small tabs. It's an AC blade.

Are you saying you can adjust how aggressive it is?

Are you saying you can adjust how aggressive it is?
The Occam had 3 plates of aggression I believe. It looked the same as this head and also required you to unscrew two similar screws to remove the plate to put in another.

The actual blade just slipped in and out by hand or a special tool. It was held in place by simple pressure points.

I used an Occam for a week. It was fiddley and rattley, but gave a decent shave. The concept was scary the first couple shaves though. Kept expecting the blade to pop out. Was not a purchase for me.
This is the Occam's head on the Cobra Classic Handle.
I think that is an accurate descriptor from the looks of it.

The Occam had 3 plates of aggression I believe. It looked the same as this head and also required you to unscrew two similar screws to remove the plate to put in another.

The actual blade just slipped in and out by hand or a special tool. It was held in place by simple pressure points.

I used an Occam for a week. It was fiddley and rattley, but gave a decent shave. The concept was scary the first couple shaves though. Kept expecting the blade to pop out. Was not a purchase for me.

I think that is an accurate descriptor from the looks of it.

Thanks for the info.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If I am not mistaken it is the same head as Occam's razor with a cobra handle.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Just came in today. The handle is gorgeous with a nice polish finish and grip. And this thing is BEEFY! Debating on whether to get a quick shave with it or not as I want get some more shaves in with the Enoch. Oh heck with it. I’ll get a shave in with the Hiram-Cobra in a bit. Very reminiscent of the Occam’s & OREN, the head that is with a 2 dot top plate which is right in the middle and my preferred plate on the previous two versions.

Again, a bunch of goodies and extras thrown in from Mr. Webster and CS. Much appreciated.....

5D48EBB7-2C3B-43C1-854C-D8B240230361.jpeg

D3836F77-66EB-4BDB-A089-259C44BE50F9.jpeg

36E5330A-4831-4C2A-9BD4-9621EA63C378.jpeg

567A5BD7-B2EC-4E67-9E7C-6CB0C2838918.jpeg

867378D6-D7E0-438D-9655-1FC5E96D2E15.jpeg

14FE989A-975E-4097-BD1B-85F91F1071E4.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just came in today. The handle is gorgeous with a nice polish finish and grip. And this thing is BEEFY! Debating on whether to get a quick shave with it or not as I want get some more shaves in with the Enoch. Oh heck with it. I’ll get a shave in with the Hiram-Cobra in a bit. Very reminiscent of the Occam’s & OREN, the head that is with a 2 dot top plate which is right in the middle and my preferred plate on the previous two versions.

Again, a bunch of goodies and extras thrown in from Mr. Webster and CS. Much appreciated.....

View attachment 1048108

View attachment 1048107

View attachment 1048109

View attachment 1048110

View attachment 1048111

View attachment 1048112
Beautiful stuff.

Love the handle on this razor as it sports a high brushed like polish that gives it a nice luster without having that mirrored look. I’ll get right to it here Gents. A smooth, comfortable and mishap free shave in 3 relaxing passes plus a buff around the chin and Sir Adam. If you have shaved with either an Occam’s or O.R.E.N. razor, you almost get the same feel with the Hiram as with the aforementioned previous two razors. The difference here is the handle that aids in giving a better overall feel in shave as one gets a bit more weight and balance with the Hiram. The floating blade design is still there but, the handle allows one to apply the right amount of pressure as it feels more substantial in the hands. And because of that, the blade engages more directly on ones skin for a more thorough cut of the whiskers. With the Occam’s & O.R.E.N razors I had to fiddle with positioning of my hand on the handle to get a good feel of what the razor was doing and that took some time to adjust to as the blade “floats” in the razor head. With the Hiram it was quick and more direct in engaging the hairs to be cut. The series of Occam’s razors in my experience have produced the least amount of irritation that I have experienced in shaving next to the Paradigm Ti SE and the Hiram is no exception here. Just a real smooth operator.

If you liked the way its predecessors shaved but, weren’t to keen on the handle design and how it felt the Hiram definitely gives a better grip and substantial feel to the others. This razor is HEAVY. If you don’t like size and weight, this might not be your thing.

Does it shave like the Legendary Cobra Classic? No, the Enoch is the one that shaves very close to that iconic razor. And honestly, there is nothing else out there that can shave quite like the Cobra. I think the Hiram improves on overall shave feel from the previous Occam’s designs minus the Enoch. Also, with the Hiram I can grab a 3 dot plate from either the Occam’s or O.R.E.N and amp up the cutting factor and feel if I need to. Perhaps I’ll try that next and see how if that improves on shave efficiency and quality. Do I like it? Yes. A lot? No but, there’s room to experiment with top caps and blades and that is always a plus in my book. I like options and the Hiram gives me that...

9563831B-CF84-42BD-AE68-F72A4B2FE733.jpeg

Does it shave like the Legendary Cobra Classic? No, the Enoch is the one that shaves very close to that iconic razor. And honestly, there is nothing else out there that can shave quite like the Cobra. I think the Hiram improves on overall shave feel from the previous Occam’s designs minus the Enoch. Also, with the Hiram I can grab a 3 dot plate from either the Occam’s or O.R.E.N and amp up the cutting factor and feel if I need to. Perhaps I’ll try that next and see how if that improves on shave efficiency and quality. Do I like it? Yes. A lot? No but, there’s room to experiment with top caps and blades and that is always a plus in my book. I like options and the Hiram gives me that...

Thanks for your review, Gus. I've been looking at both of these razors and developing a slight case of FOMO as I'm gearing up for the 2020 sabbatical. I recently picked up a Cobra Classic and I think I'll stick with that and my General for next year.

Top Bottom