What's new

Hipsters are Killing American Razor Sales

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With the price of cartridges being what they are, the American razor companies are killing themselves. With he price of everything being what it is, the average consumer is being stretched thin.

An obsession with vintage items is hipster. RAD and wanton spending on supernumerary items (creams, soaps, blades, etc.) is yuppie. Thus, wet shaving is a conflation of hipster and yuppie and, at the same time, the common denominator that will unite the rival tribes and save us all. Verily I say unto you.

An obsession with vintage items is hipster. RAD and wanton spending on supernumerary items (creams, soaps, blades, etc.) is yuppie. Thus, wet shaving is a conflation of hipster and yuppie and, at the same time, the common denominator that will unite the rival tribes and save us all. Verily I say unto you.
You can call shaving "hipster". I call I old guy cheap. ( I am speaking for only myself)

Hipster = Beatnick

$krebsbig.gif
You rang?​

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Gents - please;
No links to sites where the author finds it humorous that other people have been injured, or (even in jest) suggests that physically attacking people because they are stupid is ok.
That's below us and just doesn't fit here.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Gents - please;
No links to sites where the author finds it humorous that other people have been injured, or (even in jest) suggests that physically attacking people because they are stupid is ok.
That's below us and just doesn't fit here.
I haven't clicked on any links, and am now glad I didn't. I agree with your sentiment- it is below us as gentlemen.

The real article, which was the genesis of the ridiculous article that was linked to in the OP, is actually better written, with only a cursory mention of hipsters (only in the title of the article), can be found here:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-hipsters-killing-the-razor-business#r=hpt-fs

Here is the article for you non-link clicking folks:

Are Hirsute Hipsters Killing the Razor Business?

"For years the men’s razor has been the object of a supercharged R&D arms race, as manufacturers kept piling on the number of blades and adding such questionable gimmicks as vibrators. But recent news suggests that the expensive razor is beginning to look more like a humble commodity.

This morning Procter & Gamble (PG), which rules the category with Mach-3-maker Gillette, said its razor sales are falling in developed markets. This followed yesterday’s announcement by Energizer (ENR) that unit sales of its Schick men’s razors have dropped 10 percent in the past year—a literal decimation.

Energizer blames the sales slide on aggressive promotions, specifically P&G’s. Meanwhile, P&G focused on its gains abroad and glossed over its losses in major markets. Euromonitor points to another culprit: “the vogue for stubble” and a “growing acceptance of the unshaven look in the workplace.” In other words: hairy dudes. And this is one market where China may not save the day; Euromonitor claims Chinese men are relatively “nonhairy.”
The growth opportunities, according to the consumer research giant, are in trimming machines and “moustache colourants.” In other words, consumer goods giants may finally be able to bring all that R&D power to bear. And it looks like they are trying. In pitching its new ProGlide Styler, Gillette features all the facial sculpting styles one might find on a short stroll through Brooklyn: the gunslinger, the anchor beard, the chevron, the horseshoe, the royale, and the delightfully anachronistic mutton chops (thank you, Ambrose Burnside). Schick, for its part, has a similar product with titanium.

The problem with buzzing blades, however, is they don’t need to be replaced, which upends the entire business model of razormakers. It’s like selling a printer with limitless ink.
Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal points out that the dynamic is likely much simpler than consumer giants would have us believe: Big brands may have “hit a limit on how much more they can get consumers to pay to shave.” American men just might not be that into “lubrastrips,” “hydro” technology, and blades with micropulses.

It follows that the only part of the industry showing growth, according to Energizer, is disposable blades. That’s not quite true, however. Private-labels such as Dollar Shave Club and Manpacks—scrappy outfits that pitch cheap but sharp generic blades—have commandeered about 4 percent of the U.S. market. In Western Europe, almost one in 10 shaving dollars goes to a private-label brand.

The message for shaving scientists at Gillette and Schick could not be clearer: Start mixing up mustache dyes."

The problem with buzzing blades, however, is they don’t need to be replaced, which upends the entire business model of razormakers. It’s like selling a printer with limitless ink.

I don't quite they did a whole lot of research unless someone has made a blade that never goes dull. I know my sister's hair clippers, which she uses to groom dogs, the blades have to routinely get shipped out to be sharpened. So rather than upending the business model of razormakers it just means entire razors are having to get replaced due to a dulling "buzzing blade."

I don't quite they did a whole lot of research unless someone has made a blade that never goes dull. I know my sister's hair clippers, which she uses to groom dogs, the blades have to routinely get shipped out to be sharpened. So rather than upending the business model of razormakers it just means entire razors are having to get replaced due to a dulling "buzzing blade."

Well, I'm sure that trimmer blades eventually wear out, but it is going to take a very long time. I have a trimmer that I have used for years, with no signs of wearing out.

Hair clippers, on the other hand, do a lot more cutting, and do require frequent sharpening.

Top Bottom