What's new

Hinge Pin in Dovo Carre

I learned to tighten hinge pins this weekend using an old, heavy tablespoon resting the razor on a hammer. I started with an old Beau Brummel then an old Erik Anton Berg, and then my Filarmonica 12. I was careful to use a light touch and not try to over tighten the pins, and the tightness of each razor now feels pretty good.

Then I got to my new Dovo Carre whose hinge pin was on the looser side when I bought the razor four months ago. Again, I proceeded with caution and made some progress, but the blade is not getting as tight as on the previous three razors. So I examined the pins on all of the razors with my loupe, and the pin in the Dovo is different and has a nipple on one side. My other two new Dovos also have the nipple on one side. Then I remembered seeing the below picture a while back.

Can anyone confirm that Dovo only uses a washer on one side? If yes, should I only hammer on the non-nipple side? Any general guidance on how to tighten these hinge pins?

1613340899644.png

I spent more time on the non-nipple side, and was able to tighten the blade some but not as much as the other three razors. Is it possible that there is some sort of "trick" to these pins - like the nipple end should be inserted into a small divot? I ask this because the nipple is just balancing/sitting on the metal hammer.

My guess is probably not making a huge difference using a spoon. They don’t weight much so are probably very slow.

That dovo pin is the nail style and I have never pinned with one personally, but all pins that are not threaded work the same. They mushroom out on the ends which ever so slightly reduced the pin length while putting tightening pressure on the washer or scales behind them.

Understanding this, you can see why you can only tighten that dovo nail pin from one side well. You can probably tap and peen the nailhead side some but not the same as the other side where there is a mushroomed pin and washer behind it (that can move unlike nail head).

What you don’t want to do is (1) hit scales which is why they advise folks try a spoon for baby steps and (2) hit the pin hard like a nail which can bend the pin in the middle and mess up the whole pivot operation quick. Again, light spoon avoids this for someone new at it.

But let’s be real, a spoon isn’t much of a hammer. And if that pin/nail is a hard metal and not soft....well then you are going to be at it a long time before you make any appreciable difference.

Long explanation of why I think you might want to try a small ball peen hammer to tighten that pin. I am guessing your spoon just wasn’t enough for a hard pin and one-sided work. Water can eat stone.....so you can get there eventually.....but may take a while. Or try a hammer and use what you learned with the spoon about careful repetitive taps with the intention of mushrooming the tip and not driving a nail (bend the pin).

I mess around with a bunch of really junk razors for fun. Sometimes due to the bowing of the scales and the shape of the tang, I can get some scales tighter if I mushroom the pins with the razor open. Some 20 degrees open, some 90, some 180. Has to do with the bowing like I said. IF YOU TRY THIS, be very very careful because this can increase your chances of busting scales substantially and ALSO can over tighten the pin so it is too tight with the razor closed. I mention this option just in case it helps you but better be extra cautious if you try.

Last and most important tip. Sneak up on tight. Test tightness often while tightening. You can tap and tighten more but undoing it is about like putting wood back after you cut it off :-O

I picked up a cheap set of 1 oz., 2 oz., and 4 oz. from Amazon a while back. I tend to reach for the 2 oz. most often. After all, it's "light taps"...

Top Bottom