What's new

Hindostan ?

Wondering if anyone can identify this stone - Not super hard, but does not lap quickly either.

It has a kind of muddy feedback with brown slurry, although it probably still has a bit of oil in it. It was pretty much solid black when I snagged it.

When rubbed with a chisel back, it quickly turns the slurry black and leaves a polished surface on the steel with hardly any visible scratches. It behaves much like a 8000 King stone in feedback and metal finishing, but appears to be a natural stone.

stone1d.jpg
stone1b.jpg
stone1c.jpg

Looks like a hindo. They are one of the most variable naturals I know of. Some are fairly coarse, others can get you a shaving edge. Porosity varies as well. All are porous but some are obnoxiously so

This one absorbs water, it will spread out and pool on the surface for quite a while, but you can see it being wicked out from the edges very slowly.

Possiblhy Hindo, possibly Magog. Could be some other sandstone variant too. They can hold an ungodly amount of oil.

Looks too hard and textured on surface to be a hindo in my opinion. Hindo's always strike me as being practically mudstones... hardly any character. Also, the layers on that stone are unusually wavy, varying in shade, and fat for Hindo.

Reminds me of a british stone I had and called a Dalmore Yellow way back in the day (not certain on that ID)... was around 2-3k and quite fast.

Top Bottom