What's new

Hindostan Info/Photos/ID Thread

Legion

Staff member
So it is normal to have little black specks in a hindo? At first i thought i got SiC powder stuck in the stone but looking at pictures here, it seems normal.
I only have one, but after being well used they are almost impossible to get 100% clean of oil and swarf. It just leaches from the middle like a spring.

I only have one, but after being well used they are almost impossible to get 100% clean of oil and swarf. It just leaches from the middle like a spring.
I am getting that impression. Mine have had 2 soaks in PBW, 4 soaks in simple green. Multiple clean water soaks and it still sweats oil.

I am getting that impression. Mine have had 2 soaks in PBW, 4 soaks in simple green
Mine used a whole bottle of SG, before I said “you know what? You be you”
This is why astraglide or lather are my lubricant of choose for honing.

Just lapped this slightly unusual and quite interesting one, will turn out to be a fairly soft and coarse stone I think. (Which frankly could be a godsend, because normally Hindos are sloooow!)

IMG-0300.jpg

After alot of strikeouts, I've finally hit a hindo!

How it started:
Screenshot_20220828-122352_Chrome.jpg

After:
VideoCapture_20220828-120220.jpg

Wet(Notice the water drop at bottom)
20220828_105958.jpg
20220828_110020.jpg
20220828_110109.jpg

Havent tested it much but it is a very interesting stone; fine polisher, slow, takes 30+ knife passes to see some swarf but the bevel slowly seems to brighten. Finer than I expected, I'm going to have to try a shave off of it.

The striations/bands are barely noticeable with no real color variation.There are a few pock marks on the surface including "Caves" of red/rust crystals which under the scope do show larger grains but should be easy to dig out.

I hope 1 of you guys beat me on the Pike fast cut by $0.01, otherwise I'm going to be pissed.

Omg, I am Guilty! Just couldn't resist a Pike version for comparison. I didn't expect to win it with that one penny, Sorry! I should of known another fine natural stone connoisseur on here was watching it.

Here's my group of hindostan stones:

Dry:
20221015_110858.jpg
Wet:
20221015_111012.jpg
Side layers:
20221015_111151.jpg
20221015_111158.jpg

The Pike Fastcut, smaller one, and largest one are really similar. The more colored one from UK (thanks @cotedupy) and a bit different with a more crystalline structure and less powdery feel. It can start to glaze over however but is faster when freshly lapped. The powdery hindostans kind of stay the same grit and don't glaze.

I've been enjoying them alot as knife stones but you really need to apply some pressure to get the swarf going and decent feedback. With a razor it kind of feels like the steel is just gliding over unless you apply torque which i dont particularly like to do. The slurry isnt great to hone on either. So not that great for razors because of this. I tried a couple shaves off directly off the largest and the smallest, not great.

I think for razors there are alot better mid range/pre finisher natural stones such as dalmore, tsushima, coticules, bbw, ect

And another interesting one...

Far be it from me to cast aspersion on the authentic Canadian-ness of AB Salmen's Celebrated Fast Cutting Canada Oilstone, but it's certainly doing its very best impersonation of being a Hindostan. Though Indiana's pretty near Canada isn't it, so who knows...

This is another very nice, fairly fast stone, a little coarser the the Pike Fastcut.

IMG-2215.jpg

IMG-2218.jpg

IMG-2216.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
And another interesting one...

Far be it from me to cast aspersion on the authentic Canadian-ness of AB Salmen's Celebrated Fast Cutting Canada Oilstone, but it's certainly doing its very best impersonation of being a Hindostan. Though Indiana's pretty near Canada isn't it, so who knows...

This is another very nice, fairly fast stone, a little coarser the the Pike Fastcut.

View attachment 1542532

View attachment 1542530

View attachment 1542531

That might be a Magog from Quebec??

Top Bottom