What's new

Hiking/work boot recommendations

Hi Folks,

I am in the market to replace the boots that I've had for the past eight years. The boots that are unfortunately, finally wearing out are a predecessor to the ones in this picture:

http://www.asolo.com/photo/OM2066_635.JPG

While I know that these are technically "hiking" boots I typically used them as work boots. They are extremely comfortable, waterproof and great for working on rough landscapes.

Do any of you have a recommendation of a boot that would fit these criteria? Thanks for the input!

Why not replace them with another pair of Asolos if you were happy with them? You might consider Red Wing boots if you do not do much hiking - they make outstanding work boots. If you are looking to replace them with a hiking boot, backpacker.com has a gear selector on their site.

Dennis

I used to get Timberland boots but Rocky boots are good also. You can always try looking in a Cabela's book. They have alot of boots to choose from plus hiking shoes & more! :w00t: Scotty
PS: Sometimes it's best to stick with the same ones: as long as you were happy with them.

I have a pair of Red Wings that I use for work. They are the most comfortable boots that I have ever used. Extremely well built. A friend of mine had his re-soled because the rest of the boot was just fine after many abusive years.

Highly recommended.

For hiking boots, I like Vasque.
For work boots, I've had excellent results with Carolina boots.
A couple of years ago I bought 2 pairs of Doc Marten's work boots. I did not have high hopes for them, since I figured they were too trendy to be seriously good workboots, but I had store credit at a particular store, and the only boots they sold were Docs so I figured I'd try them. Much to my surprise, I have been extremely pleased with both pair of Dr. Martens boots. They are very comfortable and have held up well (I do heavy highway construction). One set of Docs is gore tex lined waterproof, the other is not.

Why not replace them with another pair of Asolos if you were happy with them? You might consider Red Wing boots if you do not do much hiking - they make outstanding work boots. If you are looking to replace them with a hiking boot, backpacker.com has a gear selector on their site.

Dennis

Ditto on the Red wings. One of the best work boots in my opinion and I spent years as a carpenter in the soggy Pacific Northwest. Also, I have wide feet and Red Wing is one of the few that still sells shoes in different widths.

Dunham has always been one of the top names in hiking boots. Here's some info:

How is Dunham related to New Balance?

In a move combining the strengths of New England's top shoe manufacturer and bootmaker, New Balance Athletic Shoes, Inc. acquired the Dunham brand in 1998. As part of the New Balance family, Dunham has continued manufacturing quality crafted boots and casual wear inspired by the outdoors.

Dunham Fits. And now more than ever. This relationship has empowered New Balance to offer its tried and true technologies and commitment to width sizing in a full line of performance boots and casual wear under the Dunham brand, without compromising Dunham's rich heritage as a forerunner in the industry.

New Balance trainers are what I've worn for years. I don't think that you could go wrong with one of their offerings. Here's a link to their site:
http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category.asp?type=DNMFWB

chop-chop

Danner boots are my favorites.

http://www.danner.com

They make everything from military duty to work boots. I have the Acadia's. Extremely comfortable for walking.

My next pair of hiking boots will probably be the Mountain Light II.

Howdy Again Folks,

Thank you for all of the recommendations! Lots of brands to check out.

why not replace them with another pair of Asolos
?

I'm certainly considering the Asolos but this past weekend I tried on some of the Vasque boots that seemed to fit me a bit better.

I'll look into the "work boot" suggestions as well. Again, I appreciate the first hand reviews.

Wolverines are the most comfortable boots I've ever broken in. Dura-shoks I believe. Very comfortable and very tough.

Ditto the Red Wings. I've had my Irish Setters for 11 years and have not worn out the leather. They are a bit heavy.
#2 is Wolverine Steel Toes. Wore one set for four years when I was a shop teacher.

i have a pair of Chippewa for the job...they are also american made...I should have went with the Red Wing....Excellent boots...plus it keeps some local folks with a job...

mark tssb

I have a pair of Red Wings that I use for work. They are the most comfortable boots that I have ever used. Extremely well built. A friend of mine had his re-soled because the rest of the boot was just fine after many abusive years.

Highly recommended.

+1

A good pair of rubber soled ropers works also.

Red Wing and Wolverine are my choices. Rocky used to be my #1 choice, but I'm not so sure about the quality these days after manufacturing moved from Nelsonville Ohio to Puerto Rico.

Dunham has always been one of the top names in hiking boots. Here's some info:
New Balance trainers are what I've worn for years. I don't think that you could go wrong with one of their offerings

The thing I like the most about Dunham's and New Balance is that you can get them in lots of widths. I take a 4E and those are hard to find.

Sorry to be a jerk but I was going to recommend a pair of boots for you when you first posted this topic but figured I better make sure you can still find them. Well they've been discontinued for a while but there was ONE pair on ebay and it was my size so I kept my mouth shut and bid for them myself! I actually WON! It's my first ebay purchase and I've been a member for about 6 years.

proxy.php

The Raichle Montagna is the best boot every made. I already own two pairs. The first pair was $385.00 about 10+ years ago. When they quit carrying them in the US I managed to snag a second pair at closeout for $199.00. Now this last pair I got for $154.05.
They aren't for the faint of heart. These are real live mountaineering boots. They're heavy and stiff and take most people (weenies) about 6 months just to break them in. I finally retired my first pair after about 7 years of daily heavy mountain climbing and vertical rescue work (they live in rain, snow, mud, heat and rock). My second pair reside in New Mexico where my family has a small ranch. This third pair will live here with me.

The reason I even bother to point out this boot is so maybe you can find something similar to it. These new fancy-pants "hiking" boots aren't very durable. They're too light and soft for real work. Someone mentioned the Danner Boots. They are nice comfortable boots but for the price they wont last as long either. I also have some Dr. Martins. While they are decent they're more for street use too, the leather is MUCH to soft.

Anyway, good luck to you in your quest. Sorry I had to be such a snake.

Last 5 pair of Wolverines I had did not last a year. The rockies I just bought I gave to a less fortunate worker so did not give them an honest try. Always heard good things about redwing but so did I about Borsalino hats to find they have became the absolute worst.

If some one has the definative answer here I would like to know it and get that kind. I am considering going orthopod for the last and custom with the boot from one of my several shoe maker friends. Problem is they all seem to be like our hats and so busy they cannot fit any new people in. :(

There is no definitive answer. Everybody has different feet and everybody has a different idea of what they feel value is. I don't know what to tell you other than Red Wing makes nice boots and a big variety of them. I have had the same pair of Red Wings for over 12 years now that I used from working in a machine shop to landscaping to working on horse farms. They are comfortable and well made.

Dennis

Rhett121,

Congrats on your score! I bought my wife some newer Raichles a few years back which she has been quite pleased with. I may have to look at other offerings from this company.

Top Bottom