What's new

Highland Park - A Shadow of What Was?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
To be very honest, I've fallen a bit out of love with Highland Park since their overhaul a few years ago. The HP 12 was a staple in my house and pretty much was my "go-to," but I haven't replaced the last bottle I emptied months ago. I don't know if they are working the sherry casks too tired, having a problem with supplies, or cutting corners somewhere, but it's just gone flat. It's still nice and all, but it's not what it was. I almost prefer JW Black, these days. While I wouldn't say JW Black is better, a liter of JW Black is the same price as a 750 of HP 12. I like them about the same, so why wouldn't I go for an extra 33% for the same price?

The two moments where I really saw the difference was the night I finished up the last bottle of HP 12 from the old stuff and opened the bullpen bottle of the new stuff. Night and day. The difference was like the difference between listening to music with good headphones and listening to it on a transistor radio or through a wall: much flatter, and the bottle never improved with being open. I had a similar experience with the 18 but in reverse. I had a sample of a newly opened bottle of the new 18. I thought it was similarly flattened (but still quite nice). A few weeks later, I came across an old bottle of 18 for something like $75 in a Hill Country liquor store. I opened it up and, ah, that was what I remembered.

I also haven't been overly impressed with their recent NAS offerings. Magnus is thin and a bit insipid. Dark Origins was harsh and just sort of . . . weird. Valkyrie was downright disappointing and felt thrown together like a 2nd grade impromptu variety show held in the garage but without all the charm. Full Volume was pretty good, but it's been gone off the shelves for a while (and I missed the sherry, anyhow). I haven't tried the Cask Strength, but I'm not eager to drop real money on a bottle of Highland Park anymore.

You may have seen in the acquisitions thread that I picked up a bottle of Valknut. I remember that stuff going on sale for the typical $85+, but this one was there for $40. While it's not exactly a great omen to see the price cut in half or so, I figured it could only be a small mistake. However, it also might be HP's last stand in my house.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts or experiences?

Sorry to hear that. I was always quite fond of HP. Do you have access to independent Bottlers like Signatory or Cadenhead? The age their barrels by themselves and should have some HP on stock.

look out for:
Signatory 'Un-Chillfiltered Collection' Unnamed Orkney 12 Years Vintage 2005

Agree. HP is no longer what it was. Tried Fire over Christmas and while enjoyable, it should sell for half its price. The 12 and 18s are a shadow of what they once were. There are alternatives all over the place.

Excellent thread. My impression, for various reasons, is that you are correct. (I do not have the luxury of tasting old and new side by side. But my experience with other things is when it seems to me some spirit has fallen off in quality, or at least changed quite a bit in taste, a side by side tasting will show that it is sadly true.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

The only recent Ralfy HP review I could find. He seems to agree with the recent decline.

His review of the basic 12-year-old from 11 years ago (2009 IIRC) ...

... and a re-review thereof from 2014:

Thanks. I will have to watch these more closely when I get home. I like Ralfy as a reviewer. It is a shame to have HP go downhill in quality. It probably went up in price, too.

He seemed to be saying his palate may have gotten fussier over the years. I have thought the same from time to time. But it seems to me I am usually wrong. Kind of like I said earlier. That if something seems lower quality than it used to be based on a solo tasting, it probably is, and that a side by side tasting will prove that it is.

A similar scenario happened for me recently with Zinfandel. It had seemed to me that in the late 70s/early 80s we used to get really wonderful, flavorful, big Zinfandels. But that for a decade or more I had not had a Zinfandel that seemed even good. Then I had one I really liked, and everything came back as to what I remember Zins being. In this case, I am not sure I could come up with a Zin from back then that was in good enough shape to test out, but I bet I am right!

I just picked up a bottle of HP12 this past holiday season at Costco. It was still quite good IMO. I have had a number of variations of HP over the years and found that this was still quite palatable and enjoyable.
I would say that as we do go down the journey and try more things our palates change considerably. We have so much more access to so much more quality whiskey these days.

Top Bottom