What's new

Higher quality small boar brush recommendation

Hi friends,
I am thinking about looking for a small boar brush to replace the Van der Hagen brush out of the "Boar Shave Set" kit that I got for cheap at the local supermarket's discount shelf last year. The VdH brush is just about the right size to use for some of my hard soaps where my larger boar (Omega 10049) is overkill and my badger/synthetics aren't firm enough to lather in less than five minutes (hard water here). The big Omega boar is great, but large enough that it flops over the side of my smaller soaps and gets lather all over everything else. Unfortunately, the VdH sheds a lot and I never really managed to get that stink out of it, so I thought I'd look for something about the same size but of a higher quality. My problem: I looked up what all those funny numbers that people use to describe brushes mean, like the loft and the knot, but it's still hard for me to visualize them in real space! Since the VdH brush doesn't have those numbers available anywhere, I can't figure out a good comparison. Does anyone have recommendations for a brush that is about the same size, but hopefully with denser/more bristles and less shedding? Or is the VdH a fine brush that I'm unjustly maligning out of ignorance, and I should stick with it? I'm quite happy with my other Omega, but any reputable brand is fine. I've attached a picture of both brushes for reference.
brushescropped.jpg
tl;dr: I'd like a small brush about the size of a Van der Hagen boar, preferably with less shedding.

Hi friends,
I am thinking about looking for a small boar brush to replace the Van der Hagen brush out of the "Boar Shave Set" kit that I got for cheap at the local supermarket's discount shelf last year. The VdH brush is just about the right size to use for some of my hard soaps where my larger boar (Omega 10049) is overkill and my badger/synthetics aren't firm enough to lather in less than five minutes (hard water here). The big Omega boar is great, but large enough that it flops over the side of my smaller soaps and gets lather all over everything else. Unfortunately, the VdH sheds a lot and I never really managed to get that stink out of it, so I thought I'd look for something about the same size but of a higher quality. My problem: I looked up what all those funny numbers that people use to describe brushes mean, like the loft and the knot, but it's still hard for me to visualize them in real space! Since the VdH brush doesn't have those numbers available anywhere, I can't figure out a good comparison. Does anyone have recommendations for a brush that is about the same size, but hopefully with denser/more bristles and less shedding? Or is the VdH a fine brush that I'm unjustly maligning out of ignorance, and I should stick with it? I'm quite happy with my other Omega, but any reputable brand is fine. I've attached a picture of both brushes for reference.
View attachment 1107632
tl;dr: I'd like a small brush about the size of a Van der Hagen boar, preferably with less shedding.
Omega 10066 or Semogue 1250 are great choices for the size that you're looking for. I prefer the Omega because it broke in really quick but I still enjoy Semogues once they're broken in.

Omega 10066 or Semogue 1250 are great choices for the size that you're looking for. I prefer the Omega because it broke in really quick but I still enjoy Semogues once they're broken in.

+1 on either of these. A 10049 was too big for my taste. I have both the Omega 10066 and the Semogue 1250. The Omega has a little more scrub and the knot has stayed compact. The Semogue has splayed and softened more.

If you prefer a wood handle, the Omega 10005 is knotted much like the 10066 but with a light wood handle. If you want a splash of color, check out the the Omega 10065 color choices. Both Omega and Semogue have lots of handle options.

If you want a pretty small, very inexpensive, and very scrubby boar I would point you at the Vulfix 6. Not sure who carries them currently.

Zenith makes very nice boars, but in my experience they have less backbone than typical Omegas and Semogues.

Maggard is a good website to browse for Omega and Semogue. They usually post knot diameter and loft numbers in the ‘Additional Information’ tab. You are probably looking for something in the 22-25mm diameter and 48-55mm loft range to match the VDH.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi friends,
View attachment 1107632

In my opinion, the OMEGA Jade 011842 Premium Pure Bristle is an outstanding boar:
20200528_151934~3.jpg
Reasonably priced. Available at Connaught in the UK. Easy and reliable shipping to the USA.

Just my opinion.

Check the Proraso boar brush, made by Omega. Same handle style of the 10049 but with a 5mm shorter loft, which gives a greater sense of density. Reasonably priced, too.

For smaller sizes I would look at Semogue. They are all great and have better handles than Omega. Semogue 1305, 830 are great choices, but really you can't go wrong with any of them.

The Omega 10049 is a large brush - 27mm x 59mm. It's hard to tell, but the smaller brush in your photo looks like a 22mm or 24mm brush.

The Omega 10066 is a terrific brush for $9.00.

For Semogue, take a look at RandySp's post on first Boar, Semogue 830, 1305 or Omega Pro #48/49? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/first-boar-semogue-830-1305-or-omega-pro-48-49.543435/ and ask yourself synthetic or wood handle, and how scruffy? Premium does not mean better. Premium means softer and extra 75% tops means scruffier with lots of backbone. The extra 75% tops tend to be smaller. And the painted handles require more care. I would seriously consider the 1250 or 1800 with the 1800 being stiffer.

Why not buy two brushes - an Omega in 24mm and Semogue in 22mm :).

Top Bottom