What's new

High Standard

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I know where there is a HS Sportking model 103 for sale. I have not looked at it real close but the pistol looks good. The person is asking $450. Does anyone with some High Standard experience know if this is a fair price if it is in as good a condition as it appears?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got a few.

Remember spare parts, mags are hard to come by.

Value, we cannot say 😜 the market is crazy. Anyways.

The local pawn had one of their revolvers in 3", 22 magnum. $450. I really wanted it, but recalled getting one similar for $150 a decade earlier, so ultimately passed.

AA

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I've got a few.

Remember spare parts, mags are hard to come by.

Value, we cannot say 😜 the market is crazy. Anyways.

The local pawn had one of their revolvers in 3", 22 magnum. $450. I really wanted it, but recalled getting one similar for $150 a decade earlier, so ultimately passed.

AA

I am not asking for a valuation to sell, I am asking if a sale price is fair. That valuation is allowed. :c1::001_tt2:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I am not asking for a valuation to sell, I am asking if a sale price is fair. That valuation is allowed. :c1::001_tt2:

:cheerful: A thing is worth what it is to the buyer. A few months ago, I probably did pay top dollar* for my NIB High Standard derringer - but I wanted a brand new one in box, with papers.

The higher end HS 22 pistols were Olympic quality and have a great history in the military etc. I'm a fan.

Price seems about right - depending on condition, how many mags, etc.

AA

*actually, no. Seen used the same price!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
:cheerful: A thing is worth what it is to the buyer. A few months ago, I probably did pay top dollar* for my NIB High Standard derringer - but I wanted a brand new one in box, with papers.

The higher end HS 22 pistols were Olympic quality and have a great history in the military etc. I'm a fan.

Price seems about right - depending on condition, how many mags, etc.

AA

*actually, no. Seen used the same price!

That is all I could find on pricing as well Mike. I just need to figure out if it is worth it to me. You can find a Taurus TX 22 for around $300 depending on configuration.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My Springfield only suggests standard powered ammo and actually says do not use +p ammo in a pistol with a barrel shorter then 5 inches.

If I would have known this, I wouldn’t have decided on a Springfield for my first 1911.

Keeping a supply of Standard Velocity .22 on hand at a reasonable price wasn't hard to do pre-Covid. Less than 2 years ago, I was buying CCI SV for $2.49 a box shipped to my door for free. To get that price, you had to buy a case. I didnt use it for pistols, but it was a favorite ammo for silhouettes in a .22 rifle.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Keeping a supply of Standard Velocity .22 on hand at a reasonable price wasn't hard to do pre-Covid. Less than 2 years ago, I was buying CCI SV for $2.49 a box shipped to my door for free. To get that price, you had to buy a case. I didnt use it for pistols, but it was a favorite ammo for silhouettes in a .22 rifle.

Finding .22 LR anything is a pain now. I really want to get back to shooting my Grandfathers Remington Model 511 Scoremaster, but that is not going to happen anytime soon. I used to love shooting .22 shorts through it, you only hear a little pop.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Speaking of Scoremasters ...

proxy.php

And High Standards ...

proxy.php

My JC Higgins Model 28 that was made by High Standard only for about 6 months in the second half of 1951.

I've also owned several High Standard pistols over the years and they have been the ones I chose to give to friends just starting out in shooting. They were all utterly reliable , relatively easy to maintain and oh so accurate. While I can't imagine selling a High Standard that I owned High Standard is one of the few makes that I would trust absolutely to introduce a new shooter to the sport with no fears of even giving the person any trouble.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Speaking of Scoremasters ...

proxy.php

And High Standards ...

proxy.php

My JC Higgins Model 28 that was made by High Standard only for about 6 months in the second half of 1951.

I've also owned several High Standard pistols over the years and they have been the ones I chose to give to friends just starting out in shooting. They were all utterly reliable , relatively easy to maintain and oh so accurate. While I can't imagine selling a High Standard that I owned High Standard is one of the few makes that I would trust absolutely to introduce a new shooter to the sport with no fears of even giving the person any trouble.

I'm going to have to check! I have a gifted generic 22 autoloader, might be JC Higgins, but I thought it was made by Winchester ... "finding" another HS would perk up my day.

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Here is mine, it got painted when I was in High School. I need to strip it down and actually have a smith blue it. I also have an old single shot H&R .28 gauge that belonged to my Grandfather. My other Grandfather had a double barrel .10 gauge nobody knows what happened to that gun. I wish it would turn up somewhere.
Score.jpg

Top Bottom