What's new

High Standard Derringers!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My father had one back in the day. Unfortunately he sold it off. I ended up getting a Beretta 21 A for a pocket gun. Still nostalgic about a Derringer though.

See, that's what I mean! I wouldn't carry it in downtown Mogadishu; no.

But it certainly carries memories.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My High Standards are the other end of the spectrum, long guns. I have had their 22LR pistols and have lusted after a derringer.

I asked about their fine shotguns while I was in this well-stocked GS.

They did have the HS bullpup, but I wasn't in the market for that. I find all bullpups fairly fuggly.

The Sentinel revolver is excellent. I'd like to see a Crusader again!

But their 22 autos are supreme. Supermatic, Trophymatic, etc.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'll have one someday. Lol, if my wife don't find out about it I'll even get to keep it!

With the sobriquet, "War Department," I would think guns must be regularly purchased!

Can't even recall my last purchase before this. Ruger takedown 1/22, several years ago.

Smiled all day Friday; frankly, still smiling.

Going to run a bunch of ammo through it this Friday.

Can you believe, I have half a dozen boxes 22 WRF squirreled away? Hmmm .... that implies ... I have another WRF around here somewhere ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Now I've heard good things about Bond Arms. And I know they're well-made, many calibers, etc.

But I just don't hear "Smoke on the Water" playing in the background when I think of them. Or "Magic Carpet Ride."

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I asked about their fine shotguns while I was in this well-stocked GS.

They did have the HS bullpup, but I wasn't in the market for that. I find all bullpups fairly fuggly.

The Sentinel revolver is excellent. I'd like to see a Crusader again!

But their 22 autos are supreme. Supermatic, Trophymatic, etc.

AA
My JC Higgins Model 28 (made by High Standard back in 1951):

proxy.php

proxy.php

It won't fit in any of my pockets.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My JC Higgins Model 28 (made by High Standard back in 1951):

proxy.php

proxy.php

It won't fit in any of my pockets.

Well. That one has no chance of being concealed, but mine has no chance of picking off a squirrel!

Bolt handle on left, eh? Like an HK-91.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally got the exact holster I was looking for: a NIB Safariland #252 for the HS Derringer:

full

full

Note to any HSD owners who find this: there was also a popular wallet holster back in the day that had a hole in it for your trigger finger ... ATF ruled that one is a "any other weapon," requiring a certain stamp.

This Safariland requires it to be drawn to be fired. The "shoot-through" one falls under another category.

However. Classic wallet carry piece from the 1970s: check!

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a Galco version of the above mentioned shoot through wallet holster made for an AMT Back Up that I never got the gun for. Just as well. The HSD doesn't fit it, I tried!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@nortac , since you have one, I learned a trick: you can select which barrel fires next, based on eyeballing the firing pin protrusion slot. The next one to fire is where there's a hole in the slot - i.e., bottom open, bottom fires. Top open, top fires.

Useful to know if you carry a CCI shot cartridge ... and a TNT hollowpoint ... or the superb Hornady FTX 45-grain load.

It IS a 3.5" barrel, so better specs than with a NAA Mini Revolver's 1.8"!

AA

Top Bottom