What's new

High Proof Razor Impressions

I took two razors for my shave, but the High Proof redeemed its poor performance on Sunday with an outstanding performance today that I rated 9.8/10 (details HERE). TLDR: Almost flawless performance from the High Proof with the only issue being very slight difficulty reaching my whiskers just under my nose. I'll figure that out though. Here's the setup for today:
  • Razors: 1935-38 Schick E2 injector with swing-open spring head and High Proof aluminum
  • Blade: vintage Personna super stainless injector (2) and Feather (1)
  • Brush: Semogue Owner’s Club Mistura Taj (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: Noxema dwell before rinsing (good value pre-shave)
  • Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve (superb)
  • Post shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by Stirling splash and balm-Christmas Eve scent (my favorites)
PXL_20230110_134837856.jpg

Some 1/2 blade razors assume that the blade has been snapped and not cut. I think it was the case that Focus 1/2 DE razors wouldn't work well with cut blades, the head was designed assuming the bend/lip from being snapped. Perhaps Highproof is similar?

Some 1/2 blade razors assume that the blade has been snapped and not cut. I think it was the case that Focus 1/2 DE razors wouldn't work well with cut blades, the head was designed assuming the bend/lip from being snapped. Perhaps Highproof is similar?
I don't think the High Proof has any trouble accepting a snapped blade so long as you position it with the bent ends pointing away from the cap cover as shown in @Big_T's photo previously in the thread (see below). I also don't think that the High Proof requires you to use a snapped blade or avoid using a cut blade. Bottom line, break it, snap it, they both work fine in the High Proof with a slight caveat if you snap it. Again, see the great photo below.
20230110_071742.jpg

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Wow GREAT review and a good looking razor! I'll stick with what I have because it works great for me and I'm not the experimenter you folks are but I sure do like reading the reviews. I'm not up on my metallurgy so I'm going to ask. Does neodymium not rust? I thought all magnetic metals were ferrous to some degree and therefore subject to rust.

For anyone interested in this razor:
Update on the High Proof (I don't own one but have been looking at it!)
I just read on another site that High Proof is working right now on an updated version!
Figured I'd post that here since not many talk about this razor.

Be interesting if they offered a 316l version for more weight. Less pressure and face jumping and skipping...
I get that it would :
be more expensive to make and buy
it would create some design challenges around magnets ( too heavy for the shower wall option)
BFX

For anyone interested in this razor:
Update on the High Proof (I don't own one but have been looking at it!)
I just read on another site that High Proof is working right now on an updated version!
Figured I'd post that here since not many talk about this razor.
Where did you read about the updated version?

I believe it was on Reddit.
Someone emailed High Proof to ask a specifications question and High Proof told them to hold off on the purchase because they were coming out with an update soon.
No release date mentioned though!
I also read about it somewhere else where it was mentioned. Can't remember where!
I emailed High Proof last week asking about the upgrade and I'm still waiting for a response!🤔
I'd like one but won't budge till they actually come out with a new version (unless they do a fire sale on the current version).

Be interesting if they offered a 316l version for more weight. Less pressure and face jumping and skipping...
I get that it would :
be more expensive to make and buy
it would create some design challenges around magnets ( too heavy for the shower wall option)
BFX
They're high priced as is for an aluminum razor as compared to other AL's on the market!
(I think they should be at like $99 max). So I'm guessing that a 316L version would be crazy expensive. I'd settle for a 303 SS version!
Maybe that could reduce the cost and make it feasible.

Main complaint I've read is the top cap popping off during a shave. I don't own one but I've read plenty of people complaining about that.
I've got about a dozen shaves logged with my High Proof since purchasing it as backer #14. I've never had the cap come off. It has been a uniformly high performing razor for me except for one shave when it felt like the blade couldn't cut a single whisker. I never figured out what happened on that one shave. It provides smooth, close, and comfortable shaves for me.

I've got about a dozen shaves logged with my High Proof since purchasing it as backer #14. I've never had the cap come off. It has been a uniformly high performing razor for me except for one shave when it felt like the blade couldn't cut a single whisker. I never figured out what happened on that one shave. It provides smooth, close, and comfortable shaves for me.
Glad your experience has been positive. I'm just going by what I've read which of course has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure many of those complaints have been user error as well. I even read one person that said that he cut his finger pretty bad while changing the blade, Lol!!
Experience obviously plays a role in the outcome!
I like trying new and different stuff so I've put the High Proof on my short list of wants.
But I don't want to jump in at the current price in case a new version comes out. We'll see!

It will be interesting to see whether a new version is released, and what changes are included. I actually keep mine on its magnetic base in my shower as a backup for whenever something goes wrong with the gear that I choose for that day's shave. I have so many razors that I struggle to get to them all. And, some of my razors (and blades) are VERY old. Every so often, I pick something really obscure that might not work out. I always know that the High Proof will work.

It will be interesting to see whether a new version is released, and what changes are included. I actually keep mine on its magnetic base in my shower as a backup for whenever something goes wrong with the gear that I choose for that day's shave. I have so many razors that I struggle to get to them all. And, some of my razors (and blades) are VERY old. Every so often, I pick something really obscure that might not work out. I always know that the High Proof will work.
Well, you know how it goes with these startups. They come out with something and eventually come out with a V2 based on feedback from customers. Sounds like the V1 is fine as is though!
Maybe they won't come out with a V2. Whatever I read might have been false, who knows!
Normally companies advertise something like that on social media and I haven't seen anything. Matter of fact, they have a Facebook page that they haven't posted anything to for 4 months. And they have 2 Instagram pages that are for the UK and Japan. None for the USA!
Makes me also wonder why they didn't respond to my "inquiring" email?
Weird!

I just got a response email from High Proof:

"Thank you for reaching out and our apologies for missing your previous email.
We are in the process of releasing a new version of our razor, but at this time we do not have a date this will be available."

So yes, a new version is on the way!!

Top Bottom