What's new

High Mountain White Knot vs Silvertip

Sort of. In my experience High Mountain White is somewhere between Finest and Silvertip in both face feel and backbone. It is a larger diameter hair than Silvertip giving it more backbone but with tips that approach the softness of Silvertip. Actually that's saying a lot since the better Finest knots already approach the face feel of Silvertip.

My personal opinion is that it is not worth the premium charged above Silvertip. Others may have different opinions / experiences.

I don't have a ton of experience with "Silvertip" knots, but of the ones I've purchased vs. the few HMW that I've purchased, the HMW feels much softer and are the softest knots I've ever felt. The high density HMW knots are excellent, but I think they need to be appropriately lofted (on the low side) to achieve full lathering capabilities.

I guess it kinda depends on where you're getting them from also.

Gosh this is an old can of worms. And of course there are variations between vintage, new, and manufacturer.

There really is no short answer and you can chase the rainbow with this.

I prefer my silvertip brushes as I don't see any value over them with HMW's.

One may have to try them and decide for oneself.

Chris

I thought HMW was essentially a type of silvertip hair. With the vendors they can set any grade they want to so it's all up in the air anyways. With high mountain white think of a thinner yet very soft high end hair. Many would consider this to be a higher grade of hair than the standard silvertip hair.

I know a while back when I was looking into purchasing some hair to make some hand tied knots the vendor let me know that the HMW hair was unavailable as that was what they kept for themselves to make their highest grade knots.

My understanding is that there are no ’standards.’ Each manufacturer can make up their own definitions.

HMW refers to the geographical origin of the badger, maybe even if it's harvested in winter(?). Silvertip refers to what part of the animal hair is taken from.

But expect some of it to be BS. Resellers lie, mislabel and just want product out the door. Manufacturers keep their info secret because they can't maintain consistency that the ignorant Walmart-minded consumer expects.

IMO if you crave to get something above the market norm, it's best to reach manufacturers directly, give them the sad puppy eyes while opening your wallet wider than the Mississippi river. They will handpick or source the good stuff for you. The alternative is to buy a lot of brushes and through the luck of the draw get a few jewels in the collection, BST the duds. Either way it won't be cheap.

Premium hair is NEVER sold to DIY-ers, Ebay, Aliexpress and budget artisan handle turners. Regardless what anyone says or what they claim on the box. The real premium is expensive, rare and set aside for big buyers. It's never sold as pre-tied and glued knots.

Last edited:
Funny you should say never? I have a supplier that I have bought HMW knots from several times. The premium price was not so high and was definitely worth it. When I say several I mean 20+ I have "assembled many shaving brushes and in the very best I have used these HMW knots from this same supplier. I have not bought a high end brush that had a better knot or had better more dense hair. And, I own many high end brushes: Thater, Simpson, Plisson, etc.. I do agree that the sellers' descriptions of what knots they are selling is mostly BS. You have to get several in hand and make your own decision. One seller's Silvertip versus another's does not mean much. Density and performance seems to be a hard thing to buy? Finding the right supplier is most important for any brush "maker/assembler". That's my experience and opinion.

@oldjoe You could be 100% correct but as you said yourself its more an exception than a common practice. I personally still think it's never. Better than average is out there, but not the true premium.

Top Bottom