What's new

High End watch stereotypes

Very interesting! And yes, watch snobs and stereotypes do exist. I own two Rolex watches, one I bought at 19 the other I bought 2 years ago. My first was a Sea-Dweller, my second a Rhodium date just. Patek's are beautiful and Panerai are impressive for me because how they are built.

Something to be said about the article, I'm a federal accountant and my gal is a Senior VP of the states largest financial firm. We both wear Rolex lol

The article is a joke. The author, GS Elevator, is some guy in Texas who runs a Twitter called Goldman Sachs Elevator, where he posts made-up one-liners that he supposedly hears while riding the elevator in Goldman Sach's 200 West building. A few years ago, people learned who he was and that he never even worked for Goldman Sachs.

I definitely agree with his perception of Hublot and Panerai, though.

This is pretty funny. Loved the joke about PP. It seems an article shows up like this on the watch forums every year or so. I find it funny, but mostly inaccurate (a bit of a watch fan myself and I work in the industry). I would love to read an article like this was actually based in some sort of fact or research.

I want a Patek, not because of status but because of the respect I have for the mechanical engineering required to design a "grand complication".

The article was trying a little too hard.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Seems pretentious, but then my watch grail is an Omega Speedmaster Pro (I love anything related to the Apollo program)

Seems pretentious, but then my watch grail is an Omega Speedmaster Pro (I love anything related to the Apollo program)

I saw one of those at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Funny that such an expensive watch has a plastic face (no crystal to break in a spacecraft). I too love the Apollo program and wish I was alive when it was active; I think it's amazing that we accomplished what we did. I've read and watched so much about it and wish I could meet Mike Collins. But I'm going OT.

Some watches are just very special...

$15-christopher-walken-quotes-to-start-your-week.jpg

"I hid this watch for two years..."

Last edited:
The article is a joke. The author, GS Elevator, is some guy in Texas who runs a Twitter called Goldman Sachs Elevator, where he posts made-up one-liners that he supposedly hears while riding the elevator in Goldman Sach's 200 West building.

His real name is John LeFevre. He use to work for Citigroup and has written books about investment banking. "Straight to Hell: True Tales of Deviance, Debauchery and Billion Dollar Deals" the most noteworthy. His Tweeter account is part tongue-in-cheek, part truth. The watch story was definitely meant to be humorous.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I saw one of those at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. Funny that such an expensive watch has a plastic face (no crystal to break in a spacecraft). I too love the Apollo program and wish I was alive when it was active; I think it's amazing that we accomplished what we did. I've read and watched so much about it and wish I could meet Mike Collins. But I'm going OT.

I met Charlie Duke- great guy.

Attachments

• $charlieduke.jpg
    $charlieduke.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom