What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

My personal interpretation of RAD is restlessness and doubt.
As long as those two intruders persist, my take is that the
perfect razor is still elusive (even though the one/s on hand
may be excellent).

A recently arrived Wolfman WR2 1.55 SB in Ti has completely extinguished
RAD in me....I believe it's the finest razor Ive ever used, with a 1.45 SS SB
a very very very close second.

My personal interpretation of RAD is restlessness and doubt.
As long as those two intruders persist, my take is that the
perfect razor is still elusive (even though the one/s on hand
may be excellent).

A recently arrived Wolfman WR2 1.55 SB in Ti has completely extinguished
RAD in me....I believe it's the finest razor Ive ever used, with a 1.45 SS SB
a very very very close second.

such an accurate post.. its the doubt that keeps one in the hunt. The timeless, JAWS and R41 have pretty much put all of my RAD in submission.. These razors cover all my bases so when i want a smooth shave i reach for the timeless, when i want a bit more bite one of the other two and I honestly feel i have no need for another razor........ BUT

the Wolfman!!! had the opportunity to use one (WR1) and fell in love at first shave, and from what i read the WR2 is a step above the WR1

now i have half a chance of purchasing a WR2 being on the list.. i just hope the list isnt pulled early and i get the chance to buy one

AND THATS IT!!!!

It's worth it. Better fit and finish lead to a better shaving experience. In the end, a razor is a tool so the finer the tool the better the experience.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's worth it. Better fit and finish lead to a better shaving experience. In the end, a razor is a tool so the finer the tool the better the experience.

There's simply no way to disagree with an opinion or subjective view nor would I want to.

Schöne Razor.jpgPlissonHandle.JPG

The razor on the left is my Schöne. On the right, my Plisson-Joris.

The Schöne cost me about $20 or so. The Plisson currently sells for $185 I believe.

Without a doubt the fit and finish of the $185 Plisson is significantly superior to the fit and finish of the Schöne (not that the Schöne is a dog). However, the shave is the same because the design and geometry of the two razors (other than the handles) is identical.

Perhaps the "shave experience" is better, for some gentlemen, with the Plisson-Joris. Perhaps it would be even better if the Plisson-Joris sold for $500.

1572606958796.png

Safety razors are basically devices which hold a blade. There simply are not that many ways to hold the blade. The blade does the work.

I'm certainly not saying anyone shouldn't want, buy, or enjoy expensive razors. I like my Plisson-Joris. I do think it a bit of a stretch to think one gets what one pays for in high end razors particularly considering what's available in inexpensive razors such as the Schöne, but everyone is entitled to evaluate their own shaving experiences.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone's experience, or desires, or razors. If it pleases you I'm all for it. The problem I have with threads like this one is they can give people the idea that they should spend, in order to get a better shave, money they might not have or want to spend. Yes, there are some razors better than others but there are plenty of great shaving razors priced below $30.

Most of the shave has absolutely nothing to do with how much the razor costs and everything to do with technique. The "shaving experience" is subjective.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Geometry identical?....LOL.

Well then, all razors must be the same by that reasoning, you know because the shaving head kind of looks the same in all of them.

Fit, also known as tolerances in machinist parlor, impacts geometry more than anything. So saying that the fit of an expensive razor is better but the geometry is the same is an oxymoron.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Geometry identical?....LOL.

Well then, all razors must be the same by that reasoning, you know because the shaving head kind of looks the same in all of them.

Fit, also known as tolerances in machinist parlor, impacts geometry more than anything. So saying that the fit of an expensive razor is better but the geometry is the same is an oxymoron.

If you're speaking to my post you're missing the boat. You do know why I picked the Schöne and Plisson-Joris, right? Well, maybe you don't.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I think the one who totally missed the point is you. Try shaving with a Charcoal or a Wolfman or a Rocnel or a Karve (which is probably the best value razor out there in my view) or a Timeless or an ATT and compare with the shave you get with either of the two razors you mentioned. You'll get to recognize quickly that tolerances make a difference and not every razor just "holds a blade". But hey, to each his own.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Charcoal Goods, Wolfman, Rocnel, Karve, Timeless, ATT.

All are different designs, although some have aspects in common with others. Wolfman, Timeless and Karve are all rigid designs. Charcoal Goods, Rocnel and ATT are less rigid designs. Outside of that most obvious difference, design geometry can and most likely will vary between them all.

Schone and Joris are the same design and use the same heads as I understand it with the only differences being aesthetics and price.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I think the one who totally missed the point is you. Try shaving with a Charcoal or a Wolfman or a Rocnel or a Karve (which is probably the best value razor out there in my view) or a Timeless or an ATT and compare with the shave you get with either of the two razors you mentioned. You'll get to recognize quickly that tolerances make a difference and not every razor just "holds a blade". But hey, to each his own.

Happy shaves.

Schöne and Joris are the same design and use the same heads as I understand it with the only differences being aesthetics and price.

Ah, yes, that was my point. Thank you.

Hype is always hype to some extent. Finish and tolerances are usually improved with additional cost but at a certain point it becomes more of a mysticism situation driven by lack of supply than a tangible improvement.

There seems to be a prevailing opinion that only people who own a high-end razor can have an opinion on whether it's worth the hype. Well, I do own a high-end razor -- a Van Der Hagen short handle. No expensive razor could possibly shave any better because it shaves perfectly. All the hype about expensive razors hasn't been sufficient for me to buy one, so the razors must not be worth all the hype.

I have something people who own epensive razors don't seem to have. I'm satisfied.

Blackbird basically killed my RAD.

I don’t even want to shave with anything else anymore, got it down and it shaves perfectly every single time. Love that thing.

Top Bottom