What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

Looking at my vintage razors, they will last a life-time (seeing that they are in the 80 - 100 year age already) and more as well.
Very true, although there are some areas of concern when it comes to the hinges and adjustment mechanisms of vintage TTO razors though.
With something like a Timeless, ATT or other stainless razor, theres really nothing on the razor that is ever going to break or wear out in the user's lifetime.

This thread, with many good comments, really points up the difference between collecting as a hobby and buying a tool. In the latter case, I've long had a set procedure: In the first instance, don't just buy the cheapest one you can find, or an expensive, gold-plated luxury model in a velvet-lined hardwood box. Instead, do some research if necessary and chose a moderately-priced model that has proved popular and successful over an extended period -- ideally, many years. That will usually work out, but if not, bite the bullet, buy the high-end luxury model, and never look back.

However, the moment you bring hobbies and collectibles into the picture, all of that flies out the window. Presumably you still want a good shave, but other than cautioning you to stay away from the $1 Assured razor sold at Dollar Tree, there isn't much advice I can give.

Ive tried a lot of razors over the past few years and never spent more than $80 on a DE razor but ive always thought about buying a nice high end razor.

Are they worth the hype?

Any recommendations?

Looking at the Blackland Dart and the timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my case, yes they are with some caveats.

Timeless makes a great range of razors that are readily available with a bulletproof 30-day warranty. If you can afford the entry fee, then you will find the one they make that best suits your needs. I encourage you to call them on the phone to get some advice on which one they recommend, they listen and know their business. If you don't like it, either return or exchange it.

Alternatively, you can find many vintage razors that will do the job. The problem here is that while they are (usually) cheaper, it will likely take a few trials to find your favorite. Plus, in my experience, the vintage models that provide a great shave are usually both hard to find and relatively expensive.

I've been through a lot of them, and I still have quite a few. I love them all, but when it comes to the shave, very few of the best vintage truly compete with the better moderns.

For me, I love my British Aristocrats, Superspeeds, Old Types, NEWs (all varieties) Techs, Slims, and Fatboys.

At the end of the day, the best 2 razors in my den based on shave alone are my Belmont New Deluxe and my Timeless 95 OC. That's out of over 40 razors. They both cost about the same amount of money. One of them took over a year to find in new condition.

The other one you can buy today with a 30 day exchange/return policy. Yes, the Timeless. If I was forced to pick only one between the two of them, I would keep the Timeless.

But that's my experience, yours might be different. At least with Timeless there's nothing to lose by giving it a test drive.

In my case, yes they are with some caveats.

Timeless makes a great range of razors that are readily available with a bulletproof 30 warranty. If you can afford the entry fee, then you will find the one they make for your needs. I encourage you to call them on the phone to get some advice on which one they recommend to best suit your needs. If you don't like it, either return or exchange it.

Alternatively, you can find many vintage razors that will do the job. The problem here is that while they are (usually) cheaper, it will likely take a few trials to find your favorite. Plus, in my experience, the vintage models that provide a great shave are usually both hard to find and relatively expensive.

I've been through a lot of them, and I still have quite a few. I love them all, but when it comes to the shave, very few of the best vintage truly compete with the better moderns.

For me, I love my British Aristocrats, Superspeeds, Old Types, NEWs (all varieties) Techs, Slims, and Fatboys.

At the end of the day, the best 2 razors in my den based on shave alone are my Belmont New Deluxe and my Timeless 95 OC. That's out of over 40 razors. They both cost about the same amount of money. One of them took over a year to find in new condition.

The other one you can buy today with a 30 day exchange/return policy. Yes, the Timeless. If I was forced to pick only one between the two of them, I would keep the Timeless.

But that's my experience, yours might be different. At least with Timeless there's nothing to lose by giving it a test drive.

I just purchased the timeless TI .68 OC [emoji39]

But im a bit worried it will be too mild.

Thinking about asking them to put the .95 OC plate on rather.....

I just purchased the timeless TI .68 OC [emoji39]

But im a bit worried it will be too mild.

Thinking about asking them to put the .95 OC plate on rather.....

I have the 68 OC. It's a great razor, but my daily driver is my 95 OC. I sold my SC and SB plates for both 68 and 95 gaps, but if I had to do it again I would try this:

Start with a 95 SB. If it's too aggressive, you can exchange it for a 68 of your choice. If you think you would like it more aggressive, swap it for the 95 OC.

Honestly, I think the 95 SB is likely the best combo that Timeless makes. It's a great combination of smoothness and efficiency.

I have the 68 OC. It's a great razor, but my daily driver is my 95 OC. I sold my SC and SB plates for both 68 and 95 gaps, but if I had to do it again I would try this:

Start with a 95 SB. If it's too aggressive, you can exchange it for a 68 of your choice. If you think you would like it more aggressive, swap it for the 95 OC.

Honestly, I think the 95 SB is likely the best combo that Timeless makes. It's a great combination of smoothness and efficiency.

Not sure what to do now. Maybe i should just wait for my .68 OC and see how it performs and just exchange the base plate if need be for the .95 OC

Do you find the .95 OC to be aggressive?

Not sure what to do now. Maybe i should just wait for my .68 OC and see how it performs and just exchange the base plate if need be for the .95 OC

Do you find the .95 OC to be aggressive?

Initially I found it too much for daily use, but it got me the absolute closest shave I'd ever had.

The trick for me was to adjust my technique and learn the razor. Previously, I was doing a 3pass shave. With the rigid clamping of Timeless, I eventually learned that it was unnecessary.

Now, a quick 2-pass ctg followed by an atg pass gets me a BBS2/3 level shave every time. It's almost automatic, due to familiarity, but with the SB it was easier to do right from the start.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having a razor that gives me a great shave, is more important to me than what the materials and production methods are. Unfortunately there's no way to know how it will shave you before you get one, which makes it akin to paying a vast sum for a pair of handmade shoes, without knowing whether or not they'll fit you. As I already get great shaves with standard razors, I personally see no reason to take the gamble.

That really is the big problem, Al.

There are members who can afford to buy all the high end razors they feel like buying. If they don't fit or aren't enjoyable it just is not a big deal to them. In fact, it's just about nothing to them; they just buy another with a different gap or something. I am not knocking them at all. Nothing at all wrong with any part of what they're doing according to me.

I can and have done much the same thing with fairly inexpensive vintage razors. I can afford to buy them to give 'em a spin. If I don't like using them, or even if I do, I just move on. Sometimes on a whim.

One of the best shaving DE razors I've come across is the Schick Krona. It shaves great. I have a very nice one. I paid $10 for it including shipping. It shaves great, but it's boring, and I hardly ever use it. Some of us a shavers and some of us are hobbyist.

As I've learned more and become more experienced I've become vastly more selective. I've also learned you don't get what you pay for in terms of the shave.

Of course, all of this is neglecting technique.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If you really want to spend the money, best bet it to wait and check the BST on a regular basis. Most modern razors are available at a cheaper price.

hmmm.. my trusty 34c is not doing well.... inner handle keeps falling out... after reading this thread the aluminum timeless seems like my next logical step. Thanks all!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
That really is the big problem, Al.

There are members who can afford to buy all the high end razors they feel like buying. If they don't fit or aren't enjoyable it just is not a big deal to them. In fact, it's just about nothing to them; they just buy another with a different gap or something. I am not knocking them at all. Nothing at all wrong with any part of what they're doing according to me.

I can and have done much the same thing with fairly inexpensive vintage razors. I can afford to buy them to give 'em a spin. If I don't like using them, or even if I do, I just move on. Sometimes on a whim.

One of the best shaving DE razors I've come across is the Schick Krona. It shaves great. I have a very nice one. I paid $10 for it including shipping. It shaves great, but it's boring, and I hardly ever use it. Some of us a shavers and some of us are hobbyist.

As I've learned more and become more experienced I've become vastly more selective. I've also learned you don't get what you pay for in terms of the shave.

Of course, all of this is neglecting technique.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice post, Jim. Very spot on.

Premium razors - to buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Unfortunately, the only way one can truly know how a razor will perform is to shave with it and see. With new premium razors, that gets expensive. With used premium, the hobby aspect becomes approachable. With the value new brands (like RazoRock) and with (most) vintage, things become very accessible.

Compared with other hobbies (classic cars, performance cars, vintage wine, high end watches, high end audio, etc.), shaving can be a very reasonable hobby. ;)

high end razors are fun.

Spent 60$ on an almost unused gold plated super adjustable. Luxury I use twice a year.
Spent 55$ on a fatboy I don't use much anymore. Namely because it shaves smooth, and my Korean war tech shaves just as smooth

Generally, I have found vintage razors to be much less expensive, high quality, and much less headache inducing. For daily shaving, I much prefer them. But then that is what they were designed for.

It's all in the blade gap/exposure. Everything else is secondary. A razor could be made of Element 115 mined by extraterrestrials in another universe and it wouldn't matter. Too many people think that stainless or some other high $$ alloy machined to NASA specs just simply has to shave better!! There is a "Goldilocks Zone" of approx. 0.025" gap that works for the vast majority and that is where the Gillette Tech & Schick Krona reside.

It's all in the blade gap/exposure. Everything else is secondary. A razor could be made of Element 115 mined by extraterrestrials in another universe and it wouldn't matter. Too many people think that stainless or some other high $$ alloy machined to NASA specs just simply has to shave better!! There is a "Goldilocks Zone" of approx. 0.025" gap that works for the vast majority and that is where the Gillette Tech & Schick Krona reside.

I think I would be happy with a Tech and a Red Tip for the rest of my life if I could only have 2. If I could only have 1 modern razor it would be the Karve with B and C plates. Pretty much the same as above. If push came to shove I will stay with the vintage razors. If only allowed 1 I would say Red Tip or maybe the Fat Boy

not really.. its not that the materials themselves make a razor 'shave better' but more so the design of the razor and materials used. Stainless, is machined to better tolerances than you get with 'pot set' zamak, which would result in a better shave or should i say a more consistent shave of that model.

The design of the razor is also more important than gap exposure IMHO

finally a stainless steel razors will outlive cheaper zamak and look/feel better in the hand. So if you have the cash to splash, no reason not to go for it

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
not really.. its not that the materials themselves make a razor 'shave better' but more so the design of the razor and materials used. Stainless, is machined to better tolerances than you get with 'pot set' zamak, which would result in a better shave or should i say a more consistent shave of that model.

The design of the razor is also more important than gap exposure IMHO

finally a stainless steel razors will outlive cheaper zamak and look/feel better in the hand. So if you have the cash to splash, no reason not to go for it
Agree completely about design being more important than gap/exposure. The incredible Blackbird is Exhibit A.

Top Bottom