What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

Ive tried a lot of razors over the past few years and never spent more than $80 on a DE razor but ive always thought about buying a nice high end razor.

Are they worth the hype?

Any recommendations?

Looking at the Blackland Dart and the timeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion $80 should buy you a high end razor. I realize you are talking about those razors out there priced over $200. For me, they aren't worth anywhere near that kind of money. But that's just me. I recently bought a RR GameChanger OC for about $65. That's the most I'm willing to pay and fortunately the performance of that razor has shown me I have no reason to pay more. It goes nicely with my Schone Open Comb ($25) and my numerous vintage razors. At this point I'm switching off between the RR GC OC and a vintage New Deluxe sitting on a Ikon Bulldog handle. And then every so often I'll pull out the Schone, a Slim Adjustable or an Old Type. I'm good. I've got all the high end razors I need.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
For me it is worth it. If you have the disposable cash, razors like Timeless are a pleasure to shave with. They have a level of fit and finish that you wont get with a $50 razor. The design and machining are like works of art. The balance and face feel are terrific. So do you need one to get a great shave? No. I can get a great shave with a vintage Gillette I got at the flea market for $5. But they are really nice to have.

Define worth.

If you have a $50 razor that is effective and efficient for you, spending $200 on a different razor will not give you an objectively 4x better shave.

You will probably get a better finish and better materials. It might last longer. You might enjoy using it more. Or you might not.

Don’t buy a more expensive razor just because people on this site tell you to or talk about how wonderful it is. It’s your money and if you want to spend it, do that. But don’t do it if you aren’t sure. They’re just objects. They don’t have feelings and they won’t be sad if you don’t buy them. They’ll still be around when and if you’re sure you’re ready.

Depends...Do you think you'll like owning a high end razor? Will it bring a smile to your face each time? Will you be disappointed if the $200 razor shaves differently or worse than your current favourite?

A more expensive razor doesn't necessarily give a better shave, and the performance to cost isn't linear. You mention that you've tried lots of razors, if you decide to buy a high end razor pay heed to your experience and buy one that suits your needs and preferences. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it'll be a better fit for you, i.e. if you love blade feel, a high end mild razor will be disappointing.

As you asked for recommendations: Timeless are great smooth shavers and have a choice of two gaps. The Blackbird is a bit more efficient than the Dart (for me) but I love the Blackbird, its blade feel, and its ability to shave at steeper angles riding the bar. Charcoal makes great razors that are smooth and have multiple baseplates, and have unique handles and finishes.

worth it? all depends on if you have the $$ to burn.. If you do and want one get one but dont expect it to be 4x better than an $80 razor

I have both a timeless and a GC JAWS and to be honest with you i love and enjoy using both

The timeless finish is more refined but there is no way the result of the shave or finish of the razor is 4x better. In fact the quality of the shave is on par with both.. the JAWS is the best bang for buck razor out there IMHO

I pulled the plug on Rockwell 6S. I'm in the same boat you are. I'm having issues with finding a razor that will be able to get everything in 2 passes or less. I hate going back over the same spot with the R41 and just not get enough blade exposure.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Tough questions only you can answer especially in terms of spending money. That being said i love the timeless and the dart.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
What kind of razor do you favor? Aggressive? Mellow? Lots of blade? Not so much?

They all have strengths. Some can be challenging.

Everyone has opinions on the upper tier of razors. Only you can assess what's right for you and you have to shave with the razor to be able to assess it. Unless you have the disposable income, buying used will keep the depreciation loss to a minimum.

Have fun with your search. :)

Thanks guys. Money is no issue but id like to have bought something nice.

Im very happy with the razors i have thought.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts before i spend $200 +

What razors do you list as your current favorites? What do you like about those razors?

At the moment i have 4 razors i like using.

Merkur 34c
Razorock hawk
Muhle R41
And my ralf aust straight.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Personally I would rather spend $200 on several vintage razors and have fun using them all than spend $200 on one razor. That is me though. If you want to buy then go for it. Only you will know if it is money well spent. If you do buy one then please keep us informed as I would be interested to see if buying one lived up to your expectations.

Personally I would rather spend $200 on several vintage razors and have fun using them all than spend $200 on one razor. That is me though. If you want to buy then go for it. Only you will know if it is money well spent. If you do buy one then please keep us informed as I would be interested to see if buying one lived up to your expectations.

I think i will stick to the razors i have....lol

I
Thanks guys. Money is no issue but id like to have bought something nice.

Im very happy with the razors i have thought.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts before i spend $200 +

I can tell u this mate..I have the timeless 0.95 SB SS and it is without doubt the smoothest razor I have.. best combos include teaming it with a polsilver or rapira..

The polsilver is a great combo of smooth and sharp where rapira not as sharp but so smooth it feels like I don’t have a blade in there

The razor itself is a beautiful precise razor that can be admired as much as enjoyed shaving

I have a timeless which is an absolute joy to shave with. I also have a blackbird sitting in my den, that I have not had a chance to shave with. If you're iffy about spending the money on one, look in BST. You can get a good condition used razor for a bit less. Then if it doesn't work out, you wouldn't be losing as much money.

That's so interesting and I love the variety of human preferences! By contrast, I am the guy who would much prefer to spend $200-$500 for one amazing "destination" razor that I will use and cherish for life and just never consider using another razor again. I will have "my" razor checked off and won't ever have to worry about that part again. It will be my "constant" then I can actually have fun experimenting with a variety of blades, brushes, soaps,.... Consequently, I am currently looking at a Timeless razor, myself!

At the very same time, I find it fascinating that others like you, and my wife, are the kind of folks that find it exciting to have a wide variety of items for a given cost as opposed to one premier item. They say variety is the spice of life! Enjoy it!

Cheers!

Top Bottom